Other How hard is it for doctors trained in China to secure residencies in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AES22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my sister is premed and about to graduate from High School outside the US. Because of how difficult it is to get into medical school here, we think she should go to medical school in China and then apply for residency positions here after she is done. I know it is difficult to get into residency positions here but:

1. would you say it is easier to get into a residency than it is to get into medical school?

2. Also, are there any China-trained doctors that can speak on the similarities and differences between the Chinese and US medical curricula?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Much harder. Much, much harder. It will be a nightmare compared to applying coming out of a US med school.
2. Can't help you here, sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Much harder. Much, much harder. It will be a nightmare compared to applying coming out of a US med school.
2. Can't help you here, sorry.
I imagined so. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagined so. Thanks.

Best bet is US college, not necessarily pre-med but perform solidly in whatever she chooses.
Alternative path would be a combined program BS/MD, like CUNY, Brooklyn College, Lehigh Valley, etc.

As a China-trained doctor, I would highly suggest your sister to stay in US medical training system. The curriculum and focus between the medical school in China and in US is very different. Besides it will be hard to gain US clinical experience as a 4th year medical student in China since that won't be in the curriculum.

If MD program is not available in US, I suggest your sister can consider DO program since some of the residency program accept both MD and DO. Hope this will be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
As a China-trained doctor, I would highly suggest your sister to stay in US medical training system. The curriculum and focus between the medical school in China and in US is very different. Besides it will be hard to gain US clinical experience as a 4th year medical student in China since that won't be in the curriculum.

If MD program is not available in US, I suggest your sister can consider DO program since some of the residency program accept both MD and DO. Hope this will be helpful.

Thanks!!!