How hard is it to get an OMS internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwadeffan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, what is the difficulty in matching into an OMS internship? Are these generally competitive? And do you have to have completed the CBSE in order to be accepted into it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
some programs are more competitive than others
most require you to send them your cbse score report

Can you get in being in the middle of the class?? I am trying to find a stepping stone to OMFS because my rank/gpa is not exceptional.

You have to do your research a little. There are internships that will take you on because you’re a warm body but don’t have strong history of matching their interns. There are other internships that provide you good education and try to go out of their way to match you into a position.

Nonetheless, grades and CBSE ultimately what’s gonna get you in. If can focus up on spending more time to crush the CBSE that’ll mean more than doing an Ivy League internship.

You can get into an internship. I was exactly middle of my class of 100+ students and got an internship three years after graduating on my first OMFS application cycle after not matching. That doesn't mean that you'll have many options, but even getting into an internship that just needs a body to fill a spot can be the stepping stone you need.

Don't limit yourself, commit to going anywhere that will take you if it is worth it to you.
Look for open spots that come up quickly, where someone else quit or the spot went unfilled. This may mean going at a moment's notice.
And be ready to do a second internship if your other stats aren't great. I, first hand, know of people who did 2 and 3 internships before matching.

Reactions: 2 users
Finding an internship likely won’t be that difficult, although not all internships are created equal. It will significantly improve your application to OMFS, but you still need to do very well on the CBSE if you have a middle-of-the-class ranking. It’s tough out there

Reactions: 1 users