How hard is it to get into OHSU medical school (I am from Oregon)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only interested in going to OHSU Medical school because I don't want to move out of Oregon. I am an Oregon resident. I am a regular (sort of) college student. I don't have stellar stats though, my stats are kind of low.
Right now I am a junior. I went to a community college for two years, took gen chem year at community college. Now I am taking the rest of my pre-med requirements at portland state. (ochem, bio, physics). I also took one year of calc at community college.
My gpa right now is around a 3.6. If I get all A's my junior year, then I will have about a 3.7.
I am just starting to do all the extracurricular activities that are needed for med school. Basically, here is what I would have at the end of my junior year:
8 months clinical research (2 hrs/week, patient contact) (I am doing this at OHSU btw)
8 months biochemistry research at my university (at a research lab)
6 months different clinical research program at OHSU specifically for pre-health students (I will hopefully start this in december, because they have specific start dates)
1 year computer lab assistant paid job (I have already worked as a computer lab assistant last year in my community college)
1 year computer tutor job

and maybe some shadowing.

Should I add another clinical volunteer position during my junior year? I dont know if I will be too overwhelmed though. Does clinical research count as clinical volunteering? There is patient contact.

And I am really only interested in going to OHSU medical school.
How hard is it to get into OHSU? Let's say that I will ace the MCAT and get a 36+.

Members don't see this ad.

And this is assuming that I will apply in June 2014, because I have heard that it is good to apply early. I am also only interested in applying to OHSU this cycle. If I don't get in, then I will apply more broadly the cycle that comes after my senior year.

My science GPA would be a 3.8 by the way, by the time I apply (after my junior year)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hypothetically you could be plenty competitive for OHSU.

That being said, looking at your post there are a couple of concerns. First, doing research is about ongoing productive engagement, not just getting involved in as many different things as you can. Having three different research experiences ongoing simultaneously doesn't show me you know much about research. Personally I would pick the research experience that you're most excited about and focus on making the most of that experience. Second, your lack of any volunteer activities, clinical or otherwise, is going to make things pretty difficult for you. Oh, and shadowing is pretty much a requirement if you want to get taken seriously as an applicant to medical school (assuming you don't other good exposure to medicine).

Honestly, it will be tough to put everything together you'd want on your application in time to apply by the end of this year. Not only that, it will be pretty obvious that you're just shoving things on your resume at the last minute for your medical school applications. I'd find a cool research project and pick up some volunteering activities that interest you and do them for longer than 6-8 months. You'll have to wait a year to apply, but you'll be a much stronger applicant. As it is now you'd have a hard time getting in anywhere with those ECs, IMO.

Lastly, realize that deciding you will ace the MCAT and actually getting a 36+ are two very different things.

mcloaf gives some very good advice.

In addition, not only do you have to prep and take the MCAT before June, you also have to shadow, volunteer, and continue research. Will be tough, but not impossible.

For your BEST chance, an additional year to flesh out your EC's would do wonders.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you had twenty pubs, a 4.0 GPA, glowing LORs, 45 MCAT, and tons of shadowing/volunteering, there's zero guarantee of getting accepted into any specific med school. Being dead set on one school and one only is a recipe for creating reapplicants.

Even if you had twenty pubs, a 4.0 GPA, glowing LORs, 45 MCAT, and tons of shadowing/volunteering, there's zero guarantee of getting accepted into any specific med school. Being dead set on one school and one only is a recipe for creating reapplicants.

True. Either you want to be a physician or you want to a physician if it's convenient.

WesternU has an osteopathic program in Lebanon, Oregon. If you're serious about pursuing medicine, you should be examining every possible option. If the location is the most important, than start looking into programs near you. University of Washington is an additional option, 2 hours north in Seattle, also a competitive school.

EDIT: More info on Oregon:
TYPICAL PROFILE OF ADMISSIONS CYCLE AND ENTERING CLASS

Total applications received: 4,600+
Of the 4,600 applications received, approx. 9% are Oregonians, 91% are non-residents
Applicants Interviewed: 450+
Number of acceptance offers made: 220+
Class size: 132
Profile of Entering Class:
70% residents of Oregon
Average age: 26
Average total GPA: 3.66
Average science GPA: 3.61
Average MCAT: 31

Source: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...emic-programs/md-program/admissions/index.cfm

A couple of things - OHSU prefers older students and isn't huge on stats, it's more about showing maturity and a serious commitment. Just starting to get your act together junior year wouldn't fall in that category. They interview about half the residents who apply, and accept about half of those they interview. So basically, your chance of an acceptance is 25% right off the bat.
If staying in OR is important to you, look at the DO program in Lebanon, like ES2 said.

I agree with other posters that you should wait a year to apply and that setting your full attention on one school will most likely leave you disappointed.

But if the OP is intent on OHSU couldn't an early decision program be a way to go?

I'm unfamiliar with exactly how they work, but I've heard them recommended to people who want to stay in a particular region. You're only allowed to apply to one school until you hear that schools decision and you'd hear their decision by October (I think) so if not accepted you'll have enough time to work on your app