How hard it is for a DO to match in a orthopedic surgery residency. Will ACGME merger make it worse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin0424

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard it is for a DO to match in a orthopedic surgery residency. Will ACGME merger make it worse?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason, I think the ACGME Merger thing provides more challenges to DOs than benefits.
Read any one of the thousand threads on here. It won’t be all bad in the long run but short term it isn’t ideal for top specialties

Reactions: 2 users
Short story: Harder and harder every year due to increasing class sizes and number of DO schools that are proliferating (more applicants, stagnant spots).

Long story: MDs will take a handful of DO spots, but the 35 ish programs will still be DO biased and you can match. However, you need to be a good/great applicant to have a solid chance because the schools proliferating saturate the market very quickly. MD programs are pretty much off limits unless you are very well rounded (scores, letters from important people, research etc) or have connections.

Summary: DO proliferation makes this a swing NOT necessarily the merger.

Reactions: 7 users
@DNC127 has excellent insight OP, you should pay attention to it. The only thing I would add is that on the basis of raw numbers the DO match rate to ortho is less than 50%, and I'm talking about to the DO programs.

Reactions: 3 users
@DNC127 has excellent insight OP, you should pay attention to it. The only thing I would add is that on the basis of raw numbers the DO match rate to ortho is less than 50%, and I'm talking about to the DO programs.
Super stoked to see 2020s data, hoping the low match % is largely due to a lot of poor application strategies like a lot of people say. With the rapid expansion in DO (and MD) schools wouldnt be surprised if we saw something like a sub 40% match rate though.

Reactions: 2 users
Having been involved in the match process both for MD applicants (University of Missouri), DO applicants (VCME modesto) I'm not sure it will change anything at all. Ortho is tough to get in period! The merger will not change the bias and slant between both parties. There are a few DO programs that have committed to taking 1-2 MD slots a year, but I also know on the flip side a few MD programs taking their first DO applicants, which usually opens doors. The normal trajectory of greater applicants and fewer slots will continue.

However, in reality, this question is a mute point. Who cares if it will make it harder. If it does are you going to think of another specialty or think twice before trying for ortho? Well then I can tell you right away your'e likely not going to match ortho. You gotta be all in for even a remote chance, particularly as a DO. BUT let me tell you, the hard work, its all worth it on the other side.

Reactions: 6 users