how hard to get into ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

integra892

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year medical student and I really think that orthopedics is the way I want to go, but I am worried about how hard it is going to be to get into an orthopedic residency. What exactly does it require...do I HAVE to be AOA? Do I have to Honor most of my classes? What other factors do residency committees take into account? Research? If any of you that have been accepted into an ortho residency could give me some pointers as how I should go through my medical training and pointers about things to do, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Relax. Do the best you can on boards. Get involved in some research to make some contacts for letters. Kick ass on your rotations. Common sense stuff. Nothing magical

When is the best time to get involved in research? I can't imagine there being much opportunity anytime after 2nd year. Would it be cool to start summer after 1st year, or even sooner than that.

Also, should the research be Ortho related. I want to do surgery, but I'm not sure what kind. Would an Ortho residency director look poorly on a student whose only research experience was in vascular surgery, or even molecular biology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Publications in ortho related area> research in ortho w/o publications> research in non-ortho area with publications> research in non-ortho area w/o publications> no research at all

Again nothing magical, just common sense

Relax.

Bunch of guys got ortho last year. There were guys with 208/209 on Steps I/II with some research and some honors mostly high passes, that matched. Just to give you some objective measures.

Btw, these weren't dinky programs (RWJ, NJMS).

Ortho is pretty much an effort driven thing. Even if you're not so stellar on boards and grades, try to keep around the mean and do research, maybe walk some of your PD's labrador's around the block, and hang out with some residents. As long as you show that you'll bang your head against the wall long enough, they'll give you a spot. Being a tool is probably a contraindication in some cases.