How has the MCAT physically affected YOU - before and after pictures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fas376

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across a thread from 2007 where people talked about how fat and lazy they had gotten through the MCAT process, so I thought I'd make this post to lighten the mood.

My diagnostic score 3.5 months ago was a 14 (on AAMC 3) and I worked my ass off to bring it up to the high 20s-low 30s range (verbal is still killing my score). My test is next Saturday.

Unfortunately, my body took a toll, and here are the results (you don't have to post pictures, I just thought it'd be funny if I did).

Before - 6 feet 1 inch. 190 pounds, 6% BF
After - 210 pounds. 16% BF

If any of you have experience similar transformations, please share :D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Haha finally a thread not about academics!

I gained about 15lbs from MCAT studying. My sleeping and eating schedule is so terrible. I go to sleep at 3am and wake up at 1pm sometimes because I study til I drop and then when I collapse, I can't get up. I'll eat about 1 good meal a day and the rest is utter junk. The other day, i made a stop at walmart at 1 am and bought this:

c7c5ee7688fb11e1a92a1231381b6f02_7.jpg

blahhhh

Holy turd you need some protein in there

Ugh, I was trying to show how you can study and not cause deleterious affects on your body. I have a 1-2 sentences in there explaining the things I did. I can add more... One of the main problems is lack of time to cook healthy meal. So what I did was grabbed the precooked Tyson chicken breast strips frozen (yes precooked= full of sodium, but better than almost any other precooked thing in the store). I would buy a 7 bags every week. Each night I would take one out of the freezer. And it would be dethawed for lunch, dinner, and late dinner(perfect for those 3~ meals you are at the library w/o a microwave). I just grabbed me a handful per meal - 120~g protein a day. And a carb sources are easy cause they don't go bad as easy as most protein sources. And fat is easy- 5 fish oil caps per meal, just don't let them get too hot in your car.

Yea I took a different approach to this thread, but I guess it's just the doctor in me seeing health degrading activities that is the main cause to our Western cultures diseased state today (insulin resistance->cellular inflammation->metabolic syndrome) and not want to say something - not negative, but presenting an alternative-- what I will be providing in a few years.

Nah, I see what you're saying. Don't worry, I'm not going to "health degrading activities." I box a lot so once the MCAT is over, I should lose the weight pretty quick.

And my diet is full of Tyson's chicken. So easy to make, although you get sick of it quick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started out with terrible eating habits that got only worse, and then somewhere about a month ago they got better, I started going to the gym actually. And now I am trying to eat more healthy. I've also started eating less. I can go without eating for way longer than I could before and I dont actually mind it. The way I see it, I dont have to stop to cook something or look for something to eat. But by 11ish at night I am dying, so I usually eat a small meal, and just knock out.

Oh, and the guy I couldn't have done any of this studying without, the one who brightens my day after 10 hours of banging my head over TBR passages: (note MCAT official guide and lunch box in corner of pic -ha)

I would never be able to concentrate on MCAT if something soo cute was near me!!

Hilarious thread, gonna bump and see how all you Jan MCAT'ers are faring.

I've lost 3 lbs, but went from 9% to 8.5% BF.

I've also had a strength increase in lifts (I do powerlifting) because my quick workouts would consist of me lifting extremely heavy for like 3 sets of 3-4 reps for around 4-3 exercises.

Needless to say, my eyes are noticeably redder than usual...

Hilarious thread, gonna bump and see how all you Jan MCAT'ers are faring.

I've lost 3 lbs, but went from 9% to 8.5% BF.

I've also had a strength increase in lifts (I do powerlifting) because my quick workouts would consist of me lifting extremely heavy for like 3 sets of 3-4 reps for around 4-3 exercises.

Needless to say, my eyes are noticeably redder than usual...

I know this feel brah. srs

Oh, and the guy I couldn't have done any of this studying without, the one who brightens my day after 10 hours of banging my head over TBR passages: (note MCAT official guide and lunch box in corner of pic -ha)

I got her a week before I started studying, she was 2 months old. Best and worst thing I did for my studying. Usurped lots of study time with potty training and efforts to keep her from vacuuming up everything in front of her nose, but its hard to get too depressed about endless study hours with a little puppy sleeping on your lap! Her name is Turtle :)

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1381846702.163826.jpgImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1381846790.476015.jpgImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1381846865.769987.jpg

Last year I was a college gymnast and had trained competitively for almost 18 years. A few months before I started studying I quit gymnastics (not because of the mcat, because I broke my neck). So leading up to the mcat I was mostly bed bound and thus was already getting out of shape. Then Mcat studying began and I just gave into the cycle of laziness and bad habits. Plus I actually hate working out. And let me tell you I took full advantage of the whole 'eat whatever I want without a coach yelling at me' thing. I look a lot different, I'm sure as hell not a size 2 right now, I'm all weak and soft from sitting on my butt studying all day. And PALE! Good god my poor skin barely sees the light of day anymore! But on the up side I'm not constantly covered in bruises from falling off equipment at practice! I have no "after" pictures because I'd rather not leave evidence of just how lazy I've been. I need to do some serious damage control before I photograph myself. But for now I am thoroughly enjoying being able to eat whatever the heck I want while I study, guilt free :) :) And I'm REALLY enjoying not having to run everyday. I f-ing HATE running, and I swear to god ill never go running again. Unless someone's chasing me.

Totally disagree. If you are going to learn and feel empowered for the MCAT you need to focus on what you are learning not what you don't know. You should feel much more empowered after the MCAT regardless of the score you get because its the journey that leads to learning and understanding. At the end of the day the MCAT is a very important test but its only a test and not the only reflection of the knowledge you acquired