Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

how heavily weighted is undergraduate mathematics?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by DrBetch, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. DrBetch

DrBetch

Pre-Medical
    So I'm a senior this year, also a bio major and math has never failed to haunt me all through out my undergrad. I have never been good at mathematics since a very young age, and am wondering how heavily the admissions personnel are going to look at my math grades.

After withdrawing from intermediate algebra twice freshman year, I retook it and got a c+, got a c in pre calc, a D in calc and retook it only to get a c-, and now I am taking stats and just did pretty crappy on my first exam.

On the other hand, I am a good student in all of my science courses(for example I got A's in orgo 1&2 and in general bio classes)

What should I expect?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AlteredScale

AlteredScale Staff Member SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What's your overall GPA? If it's above a 3.3 you'll be fine. Your weakness will be noted I'm sure but medical school is biology so you should be ok.

4. JPickos9989

JPickos9989 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With DO schools, the mathematics grades are negligible. That's a different story on the allopathic side as mathematics grades are calculated into the BPSM GPA.

I had a D in Calc II, that class was brutal FYI. It didn't hinder me in getting accepted, but I had an A in statistics later on.

About the ads