How helpful is Kaplan course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amboree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody give me some advice? I am debating on whether or not to take the $1300 Kaplan course or not. I currently have the books that Kaplan supplies their mcat course with. I picked them up from a used bookstore. The information in them is current. Is there more that the class will offer me? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There are two additional things Kaplan provides you. One is structure-- if you're disciplined and can stick to a self-created work schedule, the Kaplan lectures are basically worthless and the books more than sufficient. If you're not, then the lectures and school-like atmosphere will be helpful. Second, they have a library with a bunch of additional test material (old AAMC tests, Kaplan diagnostics and sample exams). You can, however, get these for much less through the aamc website ($80 for 3 old MCATs and solutions + one available for free) and by bidding on ebay, buying directly from the creators, or getting from friends old berkeley review, princeton review, kaplan, examkrackers, etc. exams. If you treat the stuff well while you use it, you can then sell it yourself on ebay after you finish. This will, obviously, be much cheaper than forking over $1300 for the course. It's also more convenient to have your own copies of the old exams than to have to go get them individually at wherever Kaplan's library is.