How helpful is Year-Out Research during residnecy placement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For competitive specialties like derm or rads, I've read that over 80% applicants have some significant research activities.I also know that MD/PhD students do extremely well on residency placement because schools look favorably upon their research background.

So with these in mind, generally speaking, how helpful would a year-out research experience be when it comes to residency placement? The school I'm going to have a funded year-out research program which also grants you a master's degree at the completion of the program. I'm interested in it, but I don't want to do it just for the sake of earning another degree. So I also wanted to find out how this would affect my chances at competitive residency programs and by how much. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to do one this upcoming year incase I have continued interest in Radiation Oncology. I don't mind taking an extra year to get an MD, but I want to make sure I don't have to go with my 2nd option in terms of what residency I want to do (especially without stellar board scores or preclinical grades)

I am planning to do one this upcoming year incase I have continued interest in Radiation Oncology. I don't mind taking an extra year to get an MD, but I want to make sure I don't have to go with my 2nd option in terms of what residency I want to do (especially without stellar board scores or preclinical grades)

Ok, I see. So do you think/have you heard that doing a year out research actually helps in terms of getting the residency of your choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I see. So do you think/have you heard that doing a year out research actually helps in terms of getting the residency of your choice?

Based on the 2011 stats, Rad Onc applicants had a pretty high # of publications/abstracts/etc. While I have a few abstracts and maybe a publication or two, I need to go above and beyond average in that to make up for my sub-average (for Rad Onc) considerations in other categories.

Take a look at this for Rads:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

I have heard for Rad Onc that publications/abstracts are good to have, and the letters of recommendation from a known name will help your application, especially if you dont have a PhD or a 270 + AOA + All honors.

I just heard an ENT doctor say that they have a resident in their program now who didn't match the first time around, spent a year doing research and reapplied.

Thank you guys for your input! I now wonder how the heck students who do not take a dedicated year out to do research would find time to do research with their insane loads of preclinical courses and all, maybe during their third year?

For competitive specialties like derm or rads, I've read that over 80% applicants have some significant research activities.I also know that MD/PhD students do extremely well on residency placement because schools look favorably upon their research background.

So with these in mind, generally speaking, how helpful would a year-out research experience be when it comes to residency placement? The school I'm going to have a funded year-out research program which also grants you a master's degree at the completion of the program. I'm interested in it, but I don't want to do it just for the sake of earning another degree. So I also wanted to find out how this would affect my chances at competitive residency programs and by how much. Thank you!

Rads is not competitive to the point where research is needed. I'd say a majority of my classmates that matched into Rads didn't have significant rads research other than a case report or poster presentation.

Rad-onc, derm, and plastics are ones where you definitely have to have some sort of research (whether dedicated year or not).

I did research (2 years) and published a few papers before starting med school and was asked about it at most places I interviewed. If you're published, it definitely helps, no matter when.

Thank you guys for your input! I now wonder how the heck students who do not take a dedicated year out to do research would find time to do research with their insane loads of preclinical courses and all, maybe during their third year?
Summer between M1 and M2 is a good option. It also doesn't take that much time to publish piddly stuff like a case report.

Third year is a lot more time consuming than the preclinical years.

It really depends on what you want to go into and why you're doing it. I looked long and hard at radonc and decided not to take a year off to research (decided not to go into radonc so I'm glad I didn't, lol). If you're genuinely interested in research, are applying to a field that puts heavy emphasis on research and know a productive PI that will take you then go for it. But I wouldn't spend a year of my life doing something I didn't enjoy to make my app look better. Life's too short and there are plenty of people who match without taking that extra year and losing sizable income. I've heard that taking a year off to research after graduation can make you less desirable because it obviously means you didn't match, although I wouldn't know what else to do.

Good luck.