How high should my PCAT score be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have a gpa of 3.0 overall and science courses to be around 3.0-3.5.
I'm wondering how good my PCAT score should be to even think about going for pharmacy.

I got a few months of study, but still wonder if I should give it a try.
Other than that I plan to just continue my education and go for a bachelors degree and get a decent job so I can move on with my life.

Any advice?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What is your science GPA? 3.0-3.5 is too big of a range as a 3.5 science GPA is huge while 3.0 sucks,:)

Realistically, you probably need at least an 80 to have a chance and a 90 to take the admissions committee's mind off your GPA. There have been stories about people getting in with a low GPA and okay PCAT, but I think those people are exceptions to the trend. It happens, but its tough.

Hi,
I currently have a gpa of 3.0 overall and science courses to be around 3.0-3.5.
I'm wondering how good my PCAT score should be to even think about going for pharmacy.

I got a few months of study, but still wonder if I should give it a try.
Other than that I plan to just continue my education and go for a bachelors degree and get a decent job so I can move on with my life.

Any advice?
Thanks

You really don't sound sure that you even want to go into pharmacy. I would make sure you do, make a commitment to the PCAT (an 85-90 would be a must have with a 3.0, unless you have tons of extras) and you should be good to go.

The higher the better. The key is to apply early. I know tons of people that got in with low GPA because they applied early. Apply to private schools also. If you don't get in this coming year, then just do your Bachelor and then apply again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replies,
Currently my gpa is around 3.4 on science courses but currently taking anatomy II and I'm guessing I might get D in lab and B on lecture. Which doesn't look nice on report.

The problem lies that I do need to support for myself and I do want to get into pharmacy. I cannot just keep on studying pharmacy if I don't have much of a chance and soon I probably might end up having financial problems, as I am 25 already. I guess it is more of some sort of gambling, heh.

Getting a bachelor's degree do take sometime too, but will eventually get me a better paid, but it is just not something I prefer doing than stick with phamacy.

:confused: Hello Everyone

Sorry I am intruding in here

My scores are following ---- do you think i stand a change at a pharm school

Gen CHem I --> C ( I did not party.. 60 hrs of work will do that):(
Gen CHem II -->C :(
Org Chem I -->A (hard work)
Org CHem II -->A
Physics I-->A
Physics II -->B+
Gen Biology I -->A
Gen Biology II -->A
Anatomy and Physio I --> B+
Anatomy and Physio II --> A
Calc I -->A
Calc --> B+
Psychology -->A

I will take Microbio and Genetics and try to get A's

Working at a Pharmacy for 1yr . Know all the generics.. kinda memorized them ..

Still gottta take PCAT !!!

Q 1) do you think my 7 "A" will overshadow my C's in Gem CHem .. I can explain those C's. I just moved to the country and had to work at a fastfood store while going to school .. paying rent and car insurace ...

Q 2)What are my chances .. what kind of score i am looking for at PCAT
I am dedicating this summer to PCAT ..

Thanks a lot ..

Sami

1) do you think my 7 "A" will overshadow my C's in Gem CHem .. I can explain those C's. I just moved to the country and had to work at a fastfood store while going to school .. paying rent and car insurace ...

Q 2)What are my chances .. what kind of score i am looking for at PCAT
I am dedicating this summer to PCAT ..

Thanks a lot ..

Sami[/quote]

Totally my opinion, because I'm not on an adcom..... but I think your As in Orgo balance out your Cs in Gen Chem. Since the Chem classes were early in your college career, it's very easy for you to show how you recognized your shortcoming, made the corrections, and the rest of your work is indicative of your abilities. Looks pretty darn good to me!

Best of luck to you.

My friend has a 3.75 overall gpa and her science cum is around 3.7 too. She does not have a profile.......so this is why she asked me to ask you guys to tell her how well does she need to do on her PCAT:confused: to get into a Pharm school.

My friend has a 3.75 overall gpa and her science cum is around 3.7 too. She does not have a profile.......so this is why she asked me to ask you guys to tell her how well does she need to do on her PCAT:confused: to get into a Pharm school.

If she has that high of a GPA, she's doing pretty good for herself. She really doesn't have to worry too much about the PCAT, because the PCAT is really based upon the fundamental knowledge that you've gained in those courses. She should be well-prepared enough already to score in the 80th percentile or higher...with a bit of studying and luck, maybe even the high 90s.

She shouldn't be worrying about the PCAT; instead, with the application season coming up, she should be making sure her Letter of Recommendation requests are lined up, her personal statement is being written/polished/editted, and that she's ready to turn in the application early in the process. Her scores give her a really good chance to get in, as long as she doesn't blow the rest of the process.

Thanx I'll let her know. By the way how did you prepared for PCAT and everything. What should be the main focus of the personal statement,

Thanx I'll let her know. By the way how did you prepared for PCAT and everything. What should be the main focus of the personal statement,

I prepared for the PCAT by using MCAT books. I didn't really have to prepare much because I'd studied for the MCAT previously. Having said that, I had to brush up on my calculus, but that didn't take long. The approach i've taken with standardized tests in general, is that they're designed to be finished. The PCAT isn't a tough test in terms of questions, but it is tough in terms of how many questions you have to finish given the amount of time. Also, you have to think about the intent of the PCAT. It's not to test your knowledge. They already can see that with your GPA. The point of the PCAT is to test your ability to apply your knowledge in a manner which requires your cognitive and critical thinking skills. So think like the exam. The exam requires you to think, not to blindly do every question like they ask you to. I guarantee you that more than half of the questions can be answered without even doing the actual work for the problem. It's more just eliminating every wrong answer.

As for the personal statement...well that's all you. You have to write something that grasps the attention of the Adcoms and explains why pharmacy school is for you. Use the opportunity to touch on any special activities or circumstances you may have had (including poor grades and how you dealt with the situation). A fair warning though: don't be negative. If you write a PS that's so depressing, they're going to be depressed reading it. Keep the outlook positive, and show that you've grown and matured to become a professional.