How I got Hosed by the ORAL BOARDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BIS said:
Speaking of the race card check this email I got. An african american congress woman wants hurricanes to have more black sounding names.

Do devastating hurricanes need help from affirmative action?

A member of Congress apparently thinks so, and is demanding the storms be given names that sound "black."

The congressional newspaper the Hill reported this week that Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, feels that the current names are too "lily white," and is seeking to have better representation for names reflecting African-Americans and other ethnic groups.

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas

"All racial groups should be represented," Lee said, according to the Hill. She hoped federal weather officials "would try to be inclusive of African-American names."

A sampling of popular names that could be used include Keisha, Jamal and Deshawn, according to the paper.

Jackson Lee's call is brewing its own storm of response across America.

A WorldNetDaily reader wrote:

"You can be sure if there were too many 'black' names assigned to hurricanes, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee would instead be complaining that this practice unfairly stereotypes blacks as violent. Let's hope this silly storm blows over!"

Another, Greg Cook, says, "This is ridiculous. How about naming the storms after gang members, or infamous criminals? How about not having any name at all associated with hurricanes?"

Regina Roberston writes: "We should only name hurricanes for foreign officials who are in hiding or considered to be terrorists, or assisting terrorists. We could name the hurricanes after known illegal immigrants, since they are both unwanted and unwelcome anyway. Or how about we only choose French names, so the fear of hurricanes will be put to rest?"

Radio talk-show giant Rush Limbaugh says he was having dinner with his wife when he first learned of the proposal.

"I just threw up my hands. I said, 'Has it come to this now?'" Limbaugh recounted on his show.

"There's discrimination and actually elected officials wandering around worried about the discrimination in the name of hurricanes. And hurricanes are destructive. You know nobody's very excited when a hurricane's heading their way, and yet here she is demanding that hurricanes be named after black people.

"You know it used to be that hurricanes were named only after women because they were destructive and unpredictable. And that's the reason. The feminists grew upset about that, demanded that hurricanes be named after men, and so now, the civil rights leaders are demanding black names for hurricanes.

Limbaugh continued his analysis, saying it was not the mainstream populace responsible for what he called the "Balkanization" of race relations in America.

"It is these elected black leaders, the civil-rights coalitions – they're the ones that keep causing all this racial divide, they're the ones that keep calling attention to all this," said Limbaugh. "They're the ones that keep stirring this pot. They're the ones who don't want there to be any colorblind society. They're the ones who keep being agitated and trying to agitate others over all this, and now it's descended into the meaningless element of the names of hurricanes."

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, hurricanes were for centuries named after the Catholic saints' days on which the storms fell.

In 1953, the United States abandoned as confusing a two-year-old plan to name storms by a phonetic alphabet (Able, Baker, Charlie) when a new, international phonetic alphabet was introduced. That year, weather services began using female names for storms.

The practice of naming hurricanes solely after women came to an end in 1978 when men's and women's names were included in the Eastern North Pacific storm lists. In 1979, male and female names were included in lists for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

Here ya go.................
PD

Hurricanes...

Well, it appears our African-American friends have found something else to be pissed off about. A black congresswoman (this would be Sheila Jackson Lee, of Houston) reportedly complained that the names of hurricanes are all Caucasian- sounding names.

She would prefer some names that reflect African -American culture such as Chamiqua, Woeisha, and Jamal.

I can hear it now: A black weatherman in Houston saying...

"Wordup, Muthas! Herr-i-cane Chamiqua be headin' fo' Galveston like Leroy on a crotch rocket! Biatchhh be a category fo'! So, turn off dem chitlins, grab yo' chirren, leave yo crib, and head fo' de nearest FEMA office fo yo FREE s$hhiiiitttt".

I did not write the above passage. like I stated it was an email forwarded to me.
BIS

you have to be kidding if you think that article is real. some skinny college freshman with nothing else to do other than jerkoff, must've written that and started a chain letter.

Members don't see this ad.

stephend7799 said:
..... and i feel for anybody who is a casualty of the oral or written boards... its painful restudying that stuff

People fail for reasons other than discrimination.

The expectation is that a certain percentage WILL fail.

Are you saying that EVERYONE should pass? Then what is the purpose of the board?

MedicinePowder said:
you have to be kidding if you think that article is real. some skinny college freshman with nothing else to do other than jerkoff, must've written that and started a chain letter.

Sadly, that is a true story(without the commentary part). It was in 2003. Try google.

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
People fail for reasons other than discrimination.

The expectation is that a certain percentage WILL fail.

Are you saying that EVERYONE should pass? Then what is the purpose of the board?

stfu militarymd im sick of you.. Yes everyone should pass if everyone exceeds the standard

stephend7799 said:
stfu militarymd im sick of you.. Yes everyone should pass if everyone exceeds the standard

So, are you saying that everyone who finishes a residency automatically meets standards?

That doesn't make sense.

If that is the case, then we should just disband the ABMS.

militarymd said:
So, are you saying that everyone who finishes a residency automatically meets standards?

That doesn't make sense.

I think what he was trying to say is that good qualified candidates shouldn't be failed just keep the numbers (pass rate) where the board wants it or to keep everyone on their toes. Obviously, if the candiate is bad they should earn a fail, but not to fail someone just because no one has failed recently. I think that's the message, or something. I think. Maybe.

Or he may just be telling you to F off.

OP, your post is funny for a couple of reasons:
1. as we all know, a number of ivy-league gas residencies aren't very competitive -- several even take a few osteopaths; (i mean, it's not like you went to an ivy league med school); and
2. you're likely to fail again. do you know what the pass rate is of repeaters? much, much lower than first-time takers.

:D

You guys are wicked in this forum... wicked :eek:

militarymd said:

That doesn't make sense.

I think you are trolling dude..

Yes everyone theoretically who finished residency, meets standards.. but they are urged to improve upon that which is learned and are urged to become board certified and take a standardized examination which shows committment and dedication to specialty.. It was never meant to be a criteria for employment.. but it has become so. Just like step 1 scores are criteria for entrance into competitive residencies and not just for licensure purposes. SO instead of residents coming out and welcoming board certification exams. they dread it.. and the whole process has become convoluted over time.

stephend7799 said:
It's pretty funny how everyone who doesn't toll the party line is now a troll. Get a f_ucking job, ******!

stephend7799 said:

Yes everyone theoretically who finished residency, meets standards.. but they are urged to improve upon that which is learned and are urged to become board certified and take a standardized examination which shows committment and dedication to specialty.. It was never meant to be a criteria for employment.. but it has become so. Just like step 1 scores are criteria for entrance into competitive residencies and not just for licensure purposes. SO instead of residents coming out and welcoming board certification exams. they dread it.. and the whole process has become convoluted over time.

That's quite the sanguine view you have there. Finishing a residency does not a competent physician make. Search these boards and you will find plenty of posts about stupid attending doctors. By saying that a certain percentage of takers WILL FAIL (which is the truth, btw), he is saying that a certain percentage will not perform satisfactorily. I don't see what is "trolling" or "racist" about that--it's a fact.

jrisley said:
... -- several even take a few osteopaths....

So?!? What, like "osteopaths", as you call them are second class citizens? We osteopaths are just as smart as you allopaths - so there! :laugh:

The_Sensei said:
So?!? What, like "osteopaths", as you call them are second class citizens? We osteopaths are just as smart as you allopaths - so there! :laugh:
Yeah, that is funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
I had 4 class A, Level I, A-holes for examiners who told me everything I said was wrong or "foolish"....One even sneered "Why would you do that?"

They passed me....oh, and by the way, in case you didn't know, I'm oriental.....although without an accent.

this just in...militaryMD is not an actual person...Some say he's a rug, others say that he's a piece of furniture...maybe he's a porcelain doll :p

The_Sensei said:

don't take it personal. osteopathic schools are considered to be less competitive to get into. this doesn't mean that there are DO students that are top notch and better or equal to some top allopathic students, but as a whole, people in the medical field will continue to see allopathic residencies that have DO students as less competitive.

MedicinePowder said:
don't take it personal. osteopathic schools are considered to be less competitive to get into. this doesn't mean that there are DO students that are top notch and better or equal to some top allopathic students, but as a whole, people in the medical field will continue to see allopathic residencies that have DO students as less competitive.

People in the medical field love to perpetuate misguided perceptions, don't they?

PGY2 said:
Quoting studies is probably one of the worst things you can do. Throughout residency, I probably only read one or two studies and that was because I was forced to! Personally, if I were the examiner and someone started rolling off a list of studies that prove me wrong, I would be on the defensive too. And worse, I wouldnt like you for making me look dumb.
SO TRUE! For all of you that go around saying "according to the literature" just know to everyone else you look like a Stugots.

Mario

Hockeyguy said:
SO TRUE! For all of you that go around saying "according to the literature" just know to everyone else you look like a Stugots.

Mario

What's a "Stugots"?

MedicinePowder said:
don't take it personal. osteopathic schools are considered to be less competitive to get into.

I could give a s h i t less where you got your medicine degree when it comes to recruiting physicians.

But, like it or not, the above is true.

Its easier to get accepted to a DO school than an MD school.

There it is.

Straight up.

Flame it all you want.

But there is only one truth.

And thats the truth.

I thought the one truth is that there is no spoon.

Okay back to the topic....

So here are my results. Tell me what you think. And obviously exclude the fact that I aced my writtens, graduated top of my "ivy" class (although that does not mean much according to the forum board, by the way my Med school was top 15), had superior skills/clinical judgement on my program summary, etc.

Even better, lets assume I am a racist, biggot, hillbilly, redneck, oriental/rug, FOB, IMG, DO, ego-centric, cocky, b a s t a r d, and any other discriminatory adjective out there....

I cannot believe the following grading is "balanced" in any way. Way too scewed in my opinion. Clearly these examiners spoke with this Chair person and hosed me.

Your examiners rated your performance as marginal on the following tasks:
Additional topics

Your examiners.....as poor onthe following topics:
Intraoperative management, post op care, preoperative assessment

Your examiners rated you deficient on the following diplomate attributes:
Judgement, Adaptability, Application of Knowledge, Organization/presentation.

You gotta be kidding. Statistically nobody should be getting these types of scores, no matter how they devised their "1 out 4 system." These guys speak before and after the exam, they discuss the results with eachother behind closed doors and black-list whomever they want. My advice if you know of a person on the Oral panel that has a vendeta against you, call it a conflict and abort....
:thumbdown:

stim4u said:

So here are my results. Tell me what you think. And obviously exclude the fact that I aced my writtens, graduated top of my "ivy" class (although that does not mean much according to the forum board, by the way my Med school was top 15), had superior skills/clinical judgement on my program summary, etc.

Even better, lets assume I am a racist, biggot, hillbilly, redneck, oriental/rug, FOB, IMG, DO, ego-centric, cocky, b a s t a r d, and any other discriminatory adjective out there....

I cannot believe the following grading is "balanced" in any way. Way too scewed in my opinion. Clearly these examiners spoke with this Chair person and hosed me.

Additional topics

You gotta be kidding. Statistically nobody should be getting these types of scores, no matter how they devised their "1 out 4 system." These guys speak before and after the exam, they discuss the results with eachother behind closed doors and black-list whomever they want. My advice if you know of a person on the Oral panel that has a vendeta against you, call it a conflict and abort....

Are you kidding me or what? Your personal vendeta paranoia is quite amusing.

Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been out your head
Eyehole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead.
Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down.
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around.
You must have been high!
Foot in mouth and head up ass
So what ya talkin' 'bout?
Difficult to dance 'round this one
'til you pull it out, boy

You must have been so high

stim4u said:

Additional topics

well, it's not that inconcievable that u were blacklisted when they talked behind doors; however, i would reckon' it's not your ethnic background, but you rubbed a couple examiners the wrong way. this is not an attack on you because that's the last thing u did, but you may have come off as overly confident to the point of arrogance. since such character traits are not scored, it IS wrong to black-list someone based on precieved arrogance.

jetproppilot said:
I could give a s h i t less where you got your medicine degree when it comes to recruiting physicians.

But, like it or not, the above is true.

Its easier to get accepted to a DO school than an MD school.

There it is.

Straight up.

Flame it all you want.

But there is only one truth.

And thats the truth.

It is true. However, I was able to obtain an allopathic residency at a prestigious program, excel, and become chief of anesthesia within 2 years of completing residency. I currently make more than AT LEAST 75% of all physicians, allopathic or osteopathic.

There it is.

Straight up.

This is another truth.......

stim4u said:
graduated top of my "ivy" class (although that does not mean much according to the forum board, by the way my Med school was top 15)

:laugh: :laugh: You really come off as the stereotypical ivy league snob, don'tcha? Give it a rest, or we'll have to start calling you Charles Emerson Winchester, the third!

The_Sensei said:
It is true. However, I was able to obtain an allopathic residency at a prestigious program, excel, and become chief of anesthesia within 2 years of completing residency. I currently make more than AT LEAST 75% of all physicians, allopathic or osteopathic.

There it is.

Straight up.

This is another truth.......

i'm sorry if this will sound harsh, but you still can't buy an M.D. after your name. give up, you are an exception. if u want the image of the D.O. to change, there has to be a well executed campaign to change the image behind the degree.. since u make so much money, maybe u can donate some of that money to the cause.

There it is.

Straight up.

There is also the other truth.

MedicinePowder said:
i'm sorry if this will sound harsh, but you still can't buy an M.D. after your name. give up, you are an exception. if u want the image of the D.O. to change, there has to be a well executed campaign to change the image behind the degree.. since u make so much money, maybe u can donate some of that money to the cause.

There it is.

Straight up.

What's the other truth?

MedicinePowder said:

There it is.

Straight up.

I don't need to buy an MD after my name; I'm a D.O. and proud of it. I don't need the image of D.O.s to change since it is what it is. The money I make does go to the "cause". The cause being defined as "making the best life possible for my wife and 3 children".

There it is.

Straight up.

This is my reality; please do not suppose that YOU can define it.

Let's keep it simple,

Racism is highly prevelant in medicine whether it be subconscious or outright. By my experience, people do have a tougher time being non-White. Possible reasons include simply bias by color or cultural issues (humor, dealing with authority). Just as African-Americans are singled out and pushed by society to pursue sports (ex: high school coaches are notorious for this), medicine thinks Asians hardwork mentality is a norm and therefore should not be considered going above and beyond. Not once has M3 grades been determined by work ethic, but by how much flattering was involved. I'm not surprised that a colored person feels that way because that's how things go, and it always brings laughter to see non-colored people (usually ones kissing major butt and so called earning their way) say that's a cheap shot. Blind at the top (kind of like the American government).

m3unsure said:
Let's keep it simple,

Racism is highly prevelant in medicine whether it be subconscious or outright. By my experience, people do have a tougher time being non-White. Possible reasons include simply bias by color or cultural issues (humor, dealing with authority). Just as African-Americans are singled out and pushed by society to pursue sports (ex: high school coaches are notorious for this), medicine thinks Asians hardwork mentality is a norm and therefore should not be considered going above and beyond. Not once has M3 grades been determined by work ethic, but by how much flattering was involved. I'm not surprised that a colored person feels that way because that's how things go, and it always brings laughter to see non-colored people (usually ones kissing major butt and so called earning their way) say that's a cheap shot. Blind at the top (kind of like the American government).

Well, just to let you know... it doesn't end after medical school, or residency, or private practice. This institution we signed our lives away to demands conformity regardless of color. I wish I had a dollar for every white, black, yellow, brown @ss I kissed in med school and residency. My white lips sure are tired but they have to make it through another year of fellowship and ABA certification and there are probably a few more @sses to kiss on the medical staff boards at the hospitals who will grant me privileges there.

So, if you are the consumate nonconformist and either your ego or heritage makes kissing major @ss unpalatable here is an easy way to avoid it:

1) Cure Cancer
2) Perform Bloodless Surgery
3) Perfect Stroma-free heme

Then, everybody else will be lining up to kiss your (insert color) @ss and pay you for the privilege. :love: