How I Raised My MCAT Score By 10 Points in 2 Months — The Spinach Method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOW WITH PS!
The Spinach Method
-or-
How I Added 10 Points To My MCAT Score In 2 Months​

By: Spinach Dip
Posted on Student Doctor Network

= THE OVERVIEW=​

Let’s get the most obvious question out of the way first:
30 (9,9,12) on 20 Nov 2012, using a paper copy of AAMC #1
40 (14,11,15) on 26 Jan 2013, on the actual test. :soexcited:

Greetings future MCAT takers and re-takers! This is my guide on how to utterly destroy this monster of a standardized exam!

Let’s get the disclaimers out of the way, first:
—This article is copyright by ME, Spinach Dip, posted here on the Student Doctor Network for the benefit of all. You may NOT, in any circumstance, claim that you authored it in part or in whole, NOR may you post it in part or in whole on any other website whatsoever. PLEASE do not print it off to share with your friends, pre-med club, or anyone else. I would APPRECIATE it if you gave out direct links to this article so others could read it, in its entirety, for themselves.
—You are free to refer to the “Spinach Method” on your own website/blog/facebook/twitter/etc if you wish, but you may NOT post excerpts, and you SHOULD provide a direct link to this article.
—I do not guarantee that you will see the same score increase that I saw. There are simply too many variables in play at any one time to guarantee anything. :(
—I will always write scores as “Total (PS,VR,BS)” or “(PS,VR,BS) Total”. In other words, the section scores will be represented in the order they actually appear on the exam, not in some score report which mixes things around for no discernable reason
—I am willing to engage in kind-hearted debate about some of the details I list below. But if you come here just to insult me, I will ignore you and report your post for being offensive. Keep it civil.
—If you have success with this method, please post below and tell others you used the Spinach Method to study!

*Deep breath* Let’s get into it.

This test is a beast. A salivating, voracious monster. A soulless horror from the deepest pit of hell. A massive, brutish minotaur hidden in a labyrinth by the AAMC with the sole purpose of slaying any and all who come before it unprepared. The labyrinth is also known as “undergrad”, full of twists, turns, and dead ends—which anyone might eventually find their way through given enough time. The minotaur is the test itself, and all must engage it in a one-on-one battle-to-the-death. Some are slain by the minotaur. many come out bleeding and bruised, yet alive. Others are victorious but come away with a slight limp or a black eye. And a select few slay the minotaur effortlessly and come out with nary a scratch. After the battle, it is up to the Council of Elders (adcoms) to determine if you are worthy of one of their illustrious apprenticeships (acceptance to med school).

My own path has been long and winding. I took several wrong turns in the labyrinth. Changed my major… let’s see… three times. Came out with a below-average GPA that took a couple extra years to complete. I haven’t met with the Council of Elders yet, but hope to hear their decision within a year. But, as for the minotaur, it wasn’t even close! I kicked its ass, spit in its eye, spray-painted my name on the wall, stole its candy, and on my way out I yelled: “SUCKS TO BE YOU!!”

Yeah!

That’s what I said! :smuggrin:

And now that we’re all pumped up, let’s get to the meat of this post—the method. I have seen SN2ed’s method, and while it definitely works for some people, I found it much too restrictive for my own study style.

What follows are 20 basic points of this method. As I was studying for the MCAT, I kept a list of what I found helpful and unhelpful, notes to myself about how to study most efficiently. I have embellished these points into what you see below. Some are specific and somewhat unknown. Some are broad ideas you should be doing all the time. Others are general knowledge which I am repeating here for the purpose of reinforcement. But all are important to the Spinach Method of studying for the MCAT.

=1. The Overall Idea=

The backbone of this entire method is based on repeating 5 different activities over and over to assess and overcome your own weaknesses and lack of knowledge.

The first is testing. This is the most obvious. You want to take 3 full-length tests every week. Two should be from secondary sources (Kaplan, TPR, TBR, EK, GS, Arco, etc), while one should be primary (AAMC is the only primary souce of material). In my schedule, I took secondary tests on Monday and Wednesday, then a primary (AAMC) test each Friday. Every time you take a test, you should do a careful post-game analysis. Make this analysis twice as thorough for AAMC tests.

The second is quizzing. This is what you do on your other days (in my case, Tuesday and Thursday, with a little less on Saturday). This is the time where you get out a book such as EK1001 or TPR Hyperlearning and do practice questions and passages on whichever subject you did poorly on last time you took a test. You could also simulate a test if you wish, doing 52 PS questions, 7 VR passages, and 52 BS questions.

After every single test or quiz, it is imperative that you study the questions you got wrong and WHY you got them wrong. The simple mistakes (such as forgetting the formula to calculate Joules) go on flashcards. Your flashcards should have a single word or phrase on the front; on the other side, all the information you need to know about the term. For example:
Front: Newtons
Back: Mass*Acceleration. Measure of force. Newtons = kg*meters/seconds^2

You will also have a notebook for more complicated questions, or a passage which you did poorly at. For example, let’s say you get to a passage on the sympathetic nervous system and only get 3/6 correct. To prevent this from happening again, you will write a passage on the sympathetic nervous system in your notebook, containing as many questions as you feel you need. Alternately, if you mess up a complicated question, put it in your notebook with an in-depth answer explaining why the correct answer is actually the correct answer. (Don’t do this for VR—it is a whole separate section that requires special tactics to tackle.) Organize your notebook so the questions start on page one and answers start at the half-way point, so you can flip between them easily.

While doing your flashcards and notebook, engage in content review. I have a rather low opinion of content review, and only used it when struggling with a difficult concept.

=2. Verbal is Different=

Verbal is the bane of everyone’s existence. It is the most conceptual of the sections, and there is no benefit to be gained from writing flashcards for VR or including it in your notebook. Rather, I did a full section (7 passages) almost every day and treated it like the actual exam. The only difference I made between materials was to review any primary (AAMC) material with utmost detail, going over every single question with a fine-toothed comb during the post-test analysis. On quiz materials or secondary tests, the more important thing is to practice your method of reading, timing, and approaching questions logically.

Often, the writers of secondary tests will have… let’s say “interesting”… methods of reasoning out the correct answer to a single question. I say: ignore their reasoning. Don’t even read it. But, on the other hand, realize that the MCAT authors are always right. Why? Because they wrote the test. That makes them infallible when it comes to VR. Get that into your head right now. The MCAT authors are always right.

Reasoning behind AAMC Verbal answers = always right
Reasoning behind Secondary Verbal answers = virtually meaningless.

=3. Use Resources That Are Readily Available.=

Chances are you have a University library. Use it. Who knows what study material you might find on the shelves? And as a follow up, use your public library and see what they have available. I got a couple Kaplan and TBR books from my local public library. Get a library card and check! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to classmates about some expensive textbook and when I ask if they checked the public libraries, they stare at me like I’m speaking Ukrainian.

For that matter, use Google and Wikipedia if you need help answering a specific question that does not appear to be in your content review books.

=4. Which Materials Are Best?=

It largely does not matter what materials you use. Obviously, the AAMC tests are the absolute best and you should use them in the most effective way possible. But, beyond that, the whole debate about TBR/TPR/EK/Kaplan/GS/Arco/Etc is largely moot. The value that can be obtained from each is dependent on how much effort YOU put into understanding the material and how well you do your post-game analysis.

In short, your own dedication to your success is the single most important factor to determining how much you can raise your score.

In the previous section, I said you should use libraries to find materials. That’s exactly what I did for the vast majority of the materials I used.

For the purpose of full disclosure:
—For tests, I used: AAMC (obviously), Kaplan, Arco, GS, and maybe TPR and TBR (Might have gotten an online test or two from these, but don’t remember).
—For quizzes, I used: Mostly just EK101 for Verbal, and the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook (~2000 questions in this book is equivalent to ~20 MCAT exams).
—For content review, I used: Kaplan, TPR, TBR, some GS videos, Arco, Wikipedia, Google, Youtube, and more.

=5. Get A Timer And Use It=

Preparing for the MCAT may be a marathon, but the actual test is not. The time you spend actually answering questions on the MCAT is, at most, 3 hours and 20 minutes. You also get two 10-minute breaks. Yet I have heard frequently of people doing 5… 6… 7… even 8 hour marathons of studying. In my mind, this is the single best way to wear yourself out and forget everything you went over by the following morning.

I used a timer any time I did something on paper. If it was a test, I gave myself 70 minutes for PS, 60 for VR, and 70 for BS. If a quiz day, I would do 75 minutes of PS or BS, and 60 for VR (I did a VR passage about ¾ of my quiz days, regardless. For BS and PS, the goal during quizzes was to answer as many questions as possible within the given time without getting reckless. For Verbal, it was more about the technique of reading the passages and reasoning through the 40 questions within 60 minutes.

Make sure to take a FULL 10 minute break between each section. When you’re done with 3 quiz sections, take a longer break (I usually grabbed lunch) and get refreshed. Then come back, correct, and review what you got wrong.

If you are really intense, you could try 4 hours of quizzes. If that works for you, fine. Just don’t get burned out.

=6. Do Something Every Day=

Don’t slack off.

If you have a dedicated “rest day” (mine was Sunday), you should at least do something slightly helpful toward the goal of studying for the MCAT. Review your flashcards or read through your notebook. You could even do some non-MCAT reading or play League of Legends. Anything to keep you sharp and active. Some people have said playing minigames on their iPhone keeps them sharp. Go with whatever works for you.

Don’t watch Amish Mafia, Ancient Aliens or Honey Boo Boo. If you do any of those, I think you deserve to lose points on your MCAT.

=7. What I Suggest When You Need a Break=

Some days you wake up and have absolutely no drive to answer questions about capacitors. Or you may feel sick or have a headache. In that case, it is okay to put aside your plans for the day and do something easier. Turn a 3-part quiz day into a 1-part quiz day if you must. Don’t slack off just because you’re feeling lazy (that’s the single worst thing you can do while preparing for this test).

But when you do need a break, you should do something productive. I really like reading as a relaxing pastime (and it might increase your VR score slightly). If you are looking for a reading list, I would suggest:
—Maus by Art Spiegelman. The biography of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jew in Poland during WWII. The only graphic novel to win a Pulitzer Prize.
—Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Set in Napoleonic Wars England, this book tells the tale of the first two English magicians in several centuries. Although very long (1000 pages in mass market paperback), it received universal acclaim from critics in numerous genres.

Of course, you could also try something more stimulating. Whether this means a jog around the block, a hot shower, or an intense game of Starcraft is up to you.

TV is the last option, IMO. I hardly ever watch TV, but I know that there are some good, informational shows around. I like Antiques Roadshow and Mysteries at the Museum because I feel like I learn something with every episode. The Military Chanel is good if you like to study WWII, but it can be extremely depressing. Or you can find something for yourself—just make sure it will leave you smarter than before you tuned in.

=8. Earplugs=

Get some.

Short story: When I took the GRE a couple years ago, some woman a few tables down started crying. I don’t know if it’s because she was too stressed or had just seen her score, but she was sobbing and trying to be quiet about it. She was also failing, and I’m pretty sure everyone in the testing center could hear her. The only reason I could hear her was because I had forgotten my earplugs that morning.

Short Story #2:When I took the MCAT a couple months ago, I was randomly assigned to seat #1. Do you know which one that is? In my test center, it’s the one closest to the door. People were walking behind me and opening and closing that squeaky door the whole time. Gladly, I remembered to bring my earplugs this day, so the noise was practically indistinguishable.

Now, I realize that people have different size ear canals, so I have put together a quick list based on my own experiences with trying to find the perfect noise-blocking earplug:
—Very Small Ears: Mack’s Dreamgirl. Don’t laugh. Anyway, these things are tiny. Only small females and children would find these useful.
—Small Ears: 3M 1120. They look weird, but are actually soft and very easy to place. “3M” is the maker and “1120” is the model number.
—Medium Ears: Max Lite. This is the kind I use almost every night. :sleep: They are slightly hard to place, but are very comfortable when in right and cut sound amazingly well. I can wear these for 12+ hours without discomfort.
—Large Ears: Laser Lite. The same as Max Lite, but with a larger diameter. I can wear these for a short time, but they begin to irritate my ears after a couple hours.
—Very Large Ears: EARsoft FX. These have the absolute highest noise reduction rating, but are for huge ears only. I can wear these for a few minutes before they start bothering me.

=9. Find Something Which Helps You Concentrate=

No. I don’t mean Ritalin. And if that was the first thing to enter your mind, you might want to take a course in medical ethics. :slap:

I mean something like coffee, candy, or energy drinks. Something high in sugar, caffeine, or both. Something completely legal and ethical.

Caffeine has never really worked for me. Sugar does. I know, it’s unhealthy and predisposes one to diabetes and all that, but it’s what helps me when a major test is involved.

I started with peanut butter M&Ms. But these got rather boring after a while, so I tried some other candies and eventually settled on skittles. Yes. I’m serious. They have a variety of flavors, so they don’t get repetitive in taste. When you’re on a 10-minute break during a practice test take a couple handfuls and throw them back while you take some deep breaths and prepare mentally for the next section.

Every person is different. Figure out what works for you.

=10. Mark Questions And Review Them=

It sounds obvious, but so many people don’t do it!

While you’re taking a test (either primary or secondary), mark a question if you’re not sure about your answer. Do this in every single test, whether primary or secondary. Pretend each one is the actual MCAT. If you have time left at the end of the section, go back and review your marked questions one-by-one. Think about why you marked this question in the first place. Is it because some calculation confused you? Or did you mark it just to double-check your work? Is it because the question uses some vocabulary you aren’t familiar with? Try to reason it out. If you can’t, move on to the next marked question.

Fair warning: Be extremely careful what you mark in VR. After completing the seventh passage, it’s generally a very bad idea to jump back to passage #2 and try to recall the details of it. Your goal should be to go through VR once and finish with ~60 seconds left.

Only mark a question in VR if:
—It’s simply-worded.
—You can narrow it down to 2 answer choices beforehand.
—And you think you will remember enough of the passage to return to it and still answer questions.

Furthermore, use every second you have in each section. NEVER finish a section if there are some answers you’re unsure about. If you have even a minute left, go back to those questions and think about them. Maybe something will pop into your head. One more correct answer can make the difference between a 10 and an 11.

=11. Use Your Scratch Paper=

The MCAT rules allow you to scribble notes on your scratch paper during the tutorial and examinee agreement. Each of these allows you 10 minutes, but takes about 1. That gives you a good 18 minutes or so to scribble on your scratch paper before the first section: PS.

Over my two months of study, I developed a pool of 22 equations that I would write on scratch paper before every test. These were simple equations which I had a tendency to forget when they came up in the middle of full-length exams. On the actual test, I ended up using five of these.

(No, I won’t tell you what my 22 equations were. Come up with your own list.)

Also, get used to writing the following series of numbers in the corner of your scratch paper: “52-44-36-28-20-12”. This is a mark of how much time you should have remaining at the end of each of the first 6 verbal passages. If I was within 1-2 minutes of these times, I considered that fine. If I was more than two minutes ahead, I would try to slow down a little, because in all likelihood I was rushing either my reading or my question answering. If I was more than two minutes behind, I would start reading faster to get back in line. Notice this allows you ~8 minutes to finish each passage. Also note, it allows four minutes of leeway in case you get stuck on a very hard passage or have to read something over again.

=12. Set Aside A Quiet Place=

Okay, this sounds pretty obvious, but you’d be amazed how many don’t do it!

For paper materials: find a nice, clean desk you can use and push it up against a wall so whenever you look up, there is nothing interesting to see. Keep the desk clear except for your timer and whatever books and papers you are using at the moment.

For computerized tests: clear off the area around your computer so you have nothing but a mouse, your scratch paper, and computer screen. A keyboard is allowable, but since the removal of the WS section, completely unnecessary.

For both: Use your earplugs. Get used to them. Have your candy/coffee/energy drink nearby and only reach for it during scheduled breaks. Turn off your phone and put it in another room. Don’t check email/Facebook/Twitter/etc until you are ready to take your lunch break.

Short Story: I bombed one of my AAMC tests (#9). The reason? I forgot to mute my phone and had a family member call near the end of PS. I had to answer—I couldn’t just let it ring and pretend I was not home. I was stuck on the phone for several minutes. While I still answered every single question, the distraction was enough to drop my score SIX points from my previous AAMC. :scared: Seeing such a drop made me want to give up, but I told myself it was a fluke and scored much better on the next test.

=13. If You Can Find The Old “R” Tests, Use Them First=

The “R” version of the MCAT is an older version, from the early 1990’s. I’m not exactly clear on the details surrounding it, or when it was replaced with the current exam, but I can tell you that it covers all the same topics as the current MCAT. The only significant difference is the “R” test is longer. The following mini-chart compares the distribution of questions:

.......Current…..“R”
PS…..52………..77
VR…..40……….65
BS…..52……….77
Tot…144……...219

Simple math (219/144) shows that the “R” versions of the MCAT are 1.5 times as long as the current version. So each “R” test is like doing one and a half MCATs. I’m not sure how to time these exactly, so I did them without timing them, going at a normal pace. They took 4+ hours each (after breaks), which seemed about right.

If you can find AAMC #1, it is an “R” test. I don’t know about #2, as I never found a copy. Also, some old prep books have the longer tests. If you can find any “R” tests, do them first. They will help you build up stamina and test you on 50% more content simultaneously.

Finally, some books with “R” tests either don’t have a scoring scale, or have one that is bizarrely out of proportion. I created a scale which seems more accurate to me. This scale gave me a 30 on AAMC #1, which was bracketed by 32s on AAMC #3 and #4 (and each section was plus or minus 1) so I’d call it a decent estimation.

………......PS/BS…..VR
15………..76-77……65
14………..73-75……63-64
13………..70-72……60-62
12………..67-69……57-59
11………..64-66……54-57
10………..59-63……49-53
9…………55-58……44-48
8…………50-54……39-43
7…………46-49……34-38
6…………40-45……29-33
5…………33-39……23-28
1-4……….less………less

The method for creating this chart took a while, but basically involved taking all the scaled-score data from e-mcat.com, averaging the charts there, turning that into a ‘percent correct’ chart, and then turning those percentages into a # out of 77 or 65 correct.

I present it here so you don’t have to go through all the work. I only hope you can find some “R” tests to use it on. :xf:

=14. Pick Your Studying Time Carefully=

And by “time”, I mean “time of year”.

There are three times of year you can reasonably study for the MCAT:
—Christmas break.
—Summer break.
—Any term you are taking no classes.

Now, it has been said on this board innumerable times, but I feel I must repeat it here… Study at a time when you have no other commitments. No job. No research. No classes. I know it is hard to put your entire life aside to prepare for a single test, but that is what is required to get all you can out of your study time.

I could only manage 2 months over Christmas break (starting the day I had my last final of fall term, and running two weeks into classes during winter term). I wish I could have done it the previous summer, but I had to take a condensed chemistry course to complete my BS degree.

I know some of you work. I know some of you have families. You might be able to do your MCAT studying at night. Or do 2-hour quizzes instead of 3.

You could always review flashcards when you have a few minutes alone. Or read through your workbook if you take public transit.

If you have significant family or work obligations which you absolutely cannot escape. I must say that the 2-month plan is probably not for you. Sorry. You should give yourself more time. I would suggest using the same strategy of quizzing, testing, and careful analysis… but over a longer period. 3 months, or 4 months maybe. Whatever it takes for you to be comfortable with the material.

=15. Finish All Your Prereqs=

I cannot stress this one hard enough.

Occasionally I will see posts here (or elsewhere) asking “do I have to take Ochem before the MCAT?” :bang:

I always want to answer with something snarky along the lines of “Only if you want to score higher than the 20th percentile in BS.”

But seriously. The MCAT tests on four subjects in science: Physics, GenChem, OChem, and Biology. You absolutely NEED to take the basic prereqs to do well on the MCAT.

I would even suggest more courses. Mammal Physiology, Intro to Biochem, and Human Genetics (aka Clinical Genetics) were the most beneficial to me. But then, I am a biology major, so people of other majors may have other opinions.

I’ve also heard that Calculus-Based Physics and Physical Chemistry (or Analytical Chemistry) can be extremely beneficial for the PS section (if you can survive them—I didn’t take any of them). As for Ochem, I led an Ochem workshop for a year, which was extremely helpful with refreshing all those finicky reactions.

In short, take your prereqs. Pay attention. And study hard in each of them—you never know what insignificant piece of knowledge will come up on the MCAT.

=16. Read The 30+ Thread Here On SDN=

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250

That’s the link to the thread. Read it; it contains words of advice from others who slew this minotaur of a test.

To elaborate, this was actually the very first thing I did in preparing for the MCAT. I read every single post—yes all 1200+!. Everything I found helpful or inspirational was scribbled in my workbook, on the very last page. Over time, I added and removed ideas. What remains are the points you are reading here.

=17. Get A Good Night Of Sleep=

Every single night.

Nothing is worse than trying to think about total internal reflection and the molecular causes of Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome on 4 hours of sleep. Heck, it’s hard enough with a full night of sleep behind you.

While engaged in the Spinach Method, you should try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake up only when you feel rested and ready to start the day.

Furthermore, I believe that sleep deprivation is most detrimental to VR—the section which people generally have the hardest time with. Sleep deprivation wrecks the mind’s ability to focus and work on detail-oriented tasks. The most detail-oriented section of the MCAT is VR!

If you suffer from insomnia, don’t schedule yourself for a morning test!

If you aren’t convinced that a good night of sleep is important, read this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_sleep_deprivation_on_cognitive_performance

=18. Don’t Be Afraid To Cancel If You’re Not Ready=

You should set a realistic “goal” score, based on your GPA, ECs, and which schools you hope to get into. Are you alright with DO? Or is Harvard the only school for you? All of these things will effect your goal score.

I can’t tell you what your goal should be, but the lower your GPA and ECs, the higher your goal should be. Look at the MSAR to figure out which schools admit applicants with stats near yours.

When you look at the schedule below, you will see that every Friday you will be doing an AAMC test. These are spaced out regularly so you can use them to assess how well you are advancing in your studies.

You will also notice #3 is the very first test you will take. Many advise against this, but I think it is a great idea because it allows you to assess where you stand before you truly start studying. Thus, it allows you to track your advances more carefully. Also, AAMC #11 is the very last test you will take, completing your preparation and giving the best possible prediction of what your actual MCAT score will be.

If you get within a few weeks of test day and are still nowhere near your goal, you must realize that massive gains on test day are exceedingly rare. Most people are within 1 on each individual section (plus or minus). Getting +2 on a section over your last practice test is a fluke.

So if you get near test day (say, when you take AAMC #9 according to the schedule below), and find your score is far below your goal, you have 4 options:
—Change your goal.
—Change your test date.
—Take the test anyway and pray.
—Take the test anyway and immediately void.

My suggestion is to delay your test date. It allows you the chance to work on your weaknesses and bring your score up towards your goal. Also, you would have saved AAMC #10 and #11 for later use.

=19. Know Everything=

This is in reference to PS and BS specifically.

There are some subjects which appear more frequently on the MCAT, and some which appear less frequently. For examples, let’s say… radioactivity appears on most tests in one way or another, while capacitors can appear, but less frequently. (Once you’ve done all the AAMC tests, you will get a feel for what is more frequent.)

That does not mean you need to know about radioactivity, but can ignore capacitors. No. You must know everything that might show up on the test. That’s how to do well in the sciences. You must know how to calculate the capacitance of parallel and series capacitors. You must know what variables affect the capacitance of a capacitor. You don’t need to know these things because it will be on the test, but because it might be on the test.

Realize that at the very top scores (11+), raising your score 1 point can mean as little as 1-2 questions. So the fact that you know how to find the overall capacitance of a series of capacitors might make that difference!
:prof:
If you can’t know everything, you need to do your absolute best to know as much as possible

=20. Don’t Get Burned Out=

I feel like I’m repeating myself here, but I think this is the second most important thing on this list (behind only #1, The Overall Idea).

:beat:

Seriously, this is a problem I think most people face during their MCAT preparation. The constant days of questions and questions and tests after tests wears on people. Regardless of what some gunners say, it is mentally exhausting.

That’s why my schedule allows for a Free Day on every Sunday. If you are feeling over-taxed, relax. Do nothing MCAT-related. This conflicts directly with #6 on my list, but if you feel absolutely drained, then just relax. I made some suggestions in #7, which gives a few things you can do during rest days.

But, if none of those work for you, do whatever.

I am not going to yell at you for not following the schedule. I’m providing the schedule to you. I’m not demanding you follow it to the word.

Short Story: Even I took a few unscheduled days off. That’s what happens when you do your test prep over Christmas break. I had family meetings to attend… and classes started two weeks before my test day. So, for a couple of those days, I accomplished nothing MCAT-related.

Regardless of the couple days I took off, I still raised my score 10 points in 2 months. I would suggest you stick closer to the schedule, but it’s all up to your dedication and how much you want to succeed.

So take the minotaur by the horns and kick its ass!

That’s all for now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
Yea I am wondering when you will be posting that....not that Im trying to rush you or anything :D

Yes Yes - when will the verbal strategy come out? I've been mainly waiting for that - dont care so much for this other information, although I do understand that it can help others out there....

PLZ post the verbal info quickly.

Thanks

Yes Yes - when will the verbal strategy come out? I've been mainly waiting for that - dont care so much for this other information, although I do understand that it can help others out there....

PLZ post the verbal info quickly.

Thanks

It would be nice to have the verbal tips/information... I think thats probably the most important information... As the previous posters mentioned- not trying to rush you... but it would be nice if you put that at the top of your priority list.

Everyone would like to see. Myself included. But, it does appear that everyone is rushing him. We don't know what life commitments he has. I know he definitely cares, since he put all that work into his posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hii Spinach DIp

I'm really sorry if this was answered before I just did a quick run down to see if anyone else had the same question I did, but I was wondering if you think the plan would work even if I already took all the practice amcas practice tests. I took the mcat in jan 26 and am planning on taking the may 18th mcat but I'm worried because I'm not sure if me retaking the practice exams gives me an inflated score..what do you think?

Everyone would like to see. Myself included. But, it does appear that everyone is rushing him. We don't know what life commitments he has. I know he definitely cares, since he put all that work into his posts.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, my life commitments are currently a bit heavy. I am taking graduate classes across 3 campuses, 5 days a week, while meeting with 3 doctors about a case of....... actually, I won't say.

Not that I'm trying to make you all feel sorry for me. :oops:

But don't worry. I didn't start this article only to stop after the first 2 posts. The VR section of my guide will most likely be up Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

Hii Spinach DIp

I'm really sorry if this was answered before I just did a quick run down to see if anyone else had the same question I did, but I was wondering if you think the plan would work even if I already took all the practice amcas practice tests. I took the mcat in jan 26 and am planning on taking the may 18th mcat but I'm worried because I'm not sure if me retaking the practice exams gives me an inflated score..what do you think?

In my opinion, you should take them again, as they are still the closest thing to the actual exam you will see.

But this time, keep in mind that the scores you get will probably be a little inflated. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about now.

Just make sure to review them extra carefully this time through. If you're still missing questions on the second time you take a test, you can be pretty sure that's a subject you need to study!

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks Spinach.

Maybe I am being an eager beaver, but Bio seems a ton harder on the real MCAT compared to the AAMC's. What do you do about that?

Hey spinach (or anyone else that might know), where can I get access to full length exams produced by the test companies? I have all of the AAMC CBTs, but where can I get just the FLs from Kaplan, TPR, TBR, GS, etc without all their other materials as well (i.e. workbooks, textbooks, class room session,)? Also, do you have a preference on which might be the most similar to AAMC? I have sufficient materials for quizzes, I just need to get "secondary exams". Any help would be appreciated

You can purchase all seven Berkeley Review exam from their site at http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Meanwhile, you can purchase all 10 Gold Standards at http://goldstandard-mcat.com/ or a few other sites.

As for Kaplan and The Princeton Review you can get the "free" ones that comes with purchase of their books, but that is about it without taking their class. You may also purchase The Princeton Review Science Workbook on Ebay or Amazon.

This is really awesom Spinach Dip. :thumbup:

You are absolutely great for posting all of this.

Thank you! This is perfect timing for me b/c I'm just now finishing up a tpr course and still have about two and a half months b4 the test so this sounds great!

I also have found I'm learning way more from practice tests/passages/discrete s than I am from straight up content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be imposing or rude, but I was wondering what happened to the verbal post- was it going to be posted this past weekend?

Thanks in advance!

Not to be imposing or rude, but I was wondering what happened to the verbal post- was it going to be posted this past weekend?

Thanks in advance!

my guess is the op wrote a majority of his post before he even got his score and hasn't gotten around to writing it yet.

Apologies.

I have been extremely busy, but will be working on the post tonight.

my guess is the op wrote a majority of his post before he even got his score and hasn't gotten around to writing it yet.

Incorrect.

I had outlined the major points for myself, but had not typed out any of it until I actually got my score back.

Apologies.

I have been extremely busy, but will be working on the post tonight.

Incorrect.

I had outlined the major points for myself, but had not typed out any of it until I actually got my score back.

although you didn't say so explicitly, you implied you were working on something way back on Feb 18, in the 30+ scores thread...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250&page=25

whatever man, people can be as cocky as they want, and if you actually got a 40 then you've the chops. too bad you can't prove it.

I dont understand... how would he/she be able to prove it through the Internet? Do you mean by taking a screen shot? Couldnt he/she just copy a screen shot from another member then...

In any event, I am looking forward to what he/she has to say about verbal.

although you didn't say so explicitly, you implied you were working on something way back on Feb 18, in the 30+ scores thread...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250&page=25

whatever man, people can be as cocky as they want, and if you actually got a 40 then you've the chops. too bad you can't prove it.

Thank you for becoming the first person I ignore. :thumbup:

The rest of you: thanks for being civil and I WILL update as soon as I can.

Thank you for becoming the first person I ignore. :thumbup:

The rest of you: thanks for being civil and I WILL update as soon as I can.

Thanks Spinach so eagerly waiting for it :)

I know it will help us out tremendously.

Also, dont pay much attention to the hatter above. Haters always going to hate!

Any idea how long we have to wait, Spinach?

I tried to finish it tonight, but it is going to be much more in-depth than I originally thought.

You'll have to wait another night. I have nothing else to do so I can hopefully finish.

Sorry this is taking so long. :(

I tried to finish it tonight, but it is going to be much more in-depth than I originally thought.

You'll have to wait another night. I have nothing else to do so I can hopefully finish.

Thanks a lot Spinach. :)

I understand that you dont want to give out the 22 equations you memorized. So any of the obscure equations ( the uncommon ones) come up that werent listed in the passage?

Spinach,

How do you feel about structured courses like Princeton and Kaplan? Is there one you would recommend over the other

were there a lot of hard equations that you needed to draw from memory or was it provided in the passages? ( by hard i mean not the f=ma, or p=f/a or pv=nrt)

No.

All the formulas needed were either very simple (V=IR, P=IR2 P=I2R) or provided in the text of the passage.

In fact, the 22 I finally picked were based on the equations which were generally not in the passage or questions of the various practice tests.

Last edited:
No.

All the formulas needed were either very simple (V=IR, P=IR2) or provided in the text of the passage.

In fact, the 22 I finally picked were based on the equations which were generally not in the passage or questions of the various practice tests.

You mean P=I2R? :hungover:

Thanks Spinach!

I fell totally off the rails w/the SN2ed schedule and then took a TPR course but then I didn't have time to do the hw while taking 16 credits and working (non-trad here). My test is at the end of May and I think this schedule might really work for me. Hoping to take a much lighter load for spring term (quarter system school, we are about to have winter term finals this week).

BTW I seem to be at 11 in Verbal no matter what I do, which is not a bad score but it's frustrating to see no improvement so I will experiment w/your method and see if that helps any. I also saw someone on here say that they read the passages twice and may play w/that too but not sure I am a fast enough reader to pull that one off.

Thanks Spinach!

I fell totally off the rails w/the SN2ed schedule and then took a TPR course but then I didn't have time to do the hw while taking 16 credits and working (non-trad here). My test is at the end of May and I think this schedule might really work for me. Hoping to take a much lighter load for spring term (quarter system school, we are about to have winter term finals this week).

Hey, me too!

Quarters >>> Semesters

BTW I seem to be at 11 in Verbal no matter what I do, which is not a bad score but it's frustrating to see no improvement so I will experiment w/your method and see if that helps any. I also saw someone on here say that they read the passages twice and may play w/that too but not sure I am a fast enough reader to pull that one off.

Reading a passage twice? Are people serious? If I tried that, I'd be left with about 10 seconds for each question.

Let us all know how that change in strategy goes. I'm curious to know how my strategy works for others, and I'm sure everyone reading this thread is curious as well.

Yeah I forget what thread someone suggested that, said it helped their score but I think you have to be able to rest reeeeeally fast to make that work.

And I so agree about quarters!

hey Spinach Dip,
read your post on the 2 month study schedule. it's great and I hope it works for me. I am using a lot of the same techniques, but in my own form. A couple of questions I had for you: (posted on forum in case others may have same question!)

1) I have been using passage mapping and it seems to be working at least on kaplan and EK...I can finish on time, (i'm only jotting down 1-3 words per paragraph which doesn't even allow me to misword the author's intention (just as a sort of landmark to keep my focus)..do you think this is ok if it's working for me so far?

2) If we do the R versions of the AAMC, should we not do the regular CBT non R versions? Since the material will overlap?

3) I am keeping my mistakes on TBR and Kaplan's full lengths on a spreadsheet. Do you recommend I copy paste my "why did I get this wrong" in a notebook like you did so it makes it easier to read every day?

4) what should the timing be "52 44 36 28 20 12" be for PS and BS? Kaplan suggests for verbal "43, 26, 9" to only check in pairs for verbal abd "57 (discretes done), 41, 25, 9" (check in pairs)...do you have any optimal suggestions for checking time in PS and BS? And is checking after every passage better than checking after pairs like kaplan suggests in your opinion?

5) Right now I'm planning on taking 2 full lengths a week, do you suggest I ramp it up to 3 during the month of april?

6) This quizzing you suggest...I'm a bit confused how you did it. I have the TPRH science workbook, should I do 70 mins of passage based questions and get through as many as I can in one sitting and then review "would that be like a quiz?"

7) Also, should I eat up all my verbal materials from secondary sources going into 30 days before the exam? That is should I only be reviewing AAMC verbal during the 30 days before my exam?

8) Did you finish all of TBR 100 passage set questions (in bio, gen chem and orgo?) and most of the passages for (bio, gen chem physics) in TPRH Science Workbook? Did you only do passages in TPRH science workbook or also the discrete questions as quizzes?

Thanks man!! Hope to get a solid score like you!

Last edited: