How I Raised My MCAT Score By 10 Points in 2 Months — The Spinach Method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOW WITH PS!
The Spinach Method
-or-
How I Added 10 Points To My MCAT Score In 2 Months​

By: Spinach Dip
Posted on Student Doctor Network

= THE OVERVIEW=​

Let’s get the most obvious question out of the way first:
30 (9,9,12) on 20 Nov 2012, using a paper copy of AAMC #1
40 (14,11,15) on 26 Jan 2013, on the actual test. :soexcited:

Greetings future MCAT takers and re-takers! This is my guide on how to utterly destroy this monster of a standardized exam!

Let’s get the disclaimers out of the way, first:
—This article is copyright by ME, Spinach Dip, posted here on the Student Doctor Network for the benefit of all. You may NOT, in any circumstance, claim that you authored it in part or in whole, NOR may you post it in part or in whole on any other website whatsoever. PLEASE do not print it off to share with your friends, pre-med club, or anyone else. I would APPRECIATE it if you gave out direct links to this article so others could read it, in its entirety, for themselves.
—You are free to refer to the “Spinach Method” on your own website/blog/facebook/twitter/etc if you wish, but you may NOT post excerpts, and you SHOULD provide a direct link to this article.
—I do not guarantee that you will see the same score increase that I saw. There are simply too many variables in play at any one time to guarantee anything. :(
—I will always write scores as “Total (PS,VR,BS)” or “(PS,VR,BS) Total”. In other words, the section scores will be represented in the order they actually appear on the exam, not in some score report which mixes things around for no discernable reason
—I am willing to engage in kind-hearted debate about some of the details I list below. But if you come here just to insult me, I will ignore you and report your post for being offensive. Keep it civil.
—If you have success with this method, please post below and tell others you used the Spinach Method to study!

*Deep breath* Let’s get into it.

This test is a beast. A salivating, voracious monster. A soulless horror from the deepest pit of hell. A massive, brutish minotaur hidden in a labyrinth by the AAMC with the sole purpose of slaying any and all who come before it unprepared. The labyrinth is also known as “undergrad”, full of twists, turns, and dead ends—which anyone might eventually find their way through given enough time. The minotaur is the test itself, and all must engage it in a one-on-one battle-to-the-death. Some are slain by the minotaur. many come out bleeding and bruised, yet alive. Others are victorious but come away with a slight limp or a black eye. And a select few slay the minotaur effortlessly and come out with nary a scratch. After the battle, it is up to the Council of Elders (adcoms) to determine if you are worthy of one of their illustrious apprenticeships (acceptance to med school).

My own path has been long and winding. I took several wrong turns in the labyrinth. Changed my major… let’s see… three times. Came out with a below-average GPA that took a couple extra years to complete. I haven’t met with the Council of Elders yet, but hope to hear their decision within a year. But, as for the minotaur, it wasn’t even close! I kicked its ass, spit in its eye, spray-painted my name on the wall, stole its candy, and on my way out I yelled: “SUCKS TO BE YOU!!”

Yeah!

That’s what I said! :smuggrin:

And now that we’re all pumped up, let’s get to the meat of this post—the method. I have seen SN2ed’s method, and while it definitely works for some people, I found it much too restrictive for my own study style.

What follows are 20 basic points of this method. As I was studying for the MCAT, I kept a list of what I found helpful and unhelpful, notes to myself about how to study most efficiently. I have embellished these points into what you see below. Some are specific and somewhat unknown. Some are broad ideas you should be doing all the time. Others are general knowledge which I am repeating here for the purpose of reinforcement. But all are important to the Spinach Method of studying for the MCAT.

=1. The Overall Idea=

The backbone of this entire method is based on repeating 5 different activities over and over to assess and overcome your own weaknesses and lack of knowledge.

The first is testing. This is the most obvious. You want to take 3 full-length tests every week. Two should be from secondary sources (Kaplan, TPR, TBR, EK, GS, Arco, etc), while one should be primary (AAMC is the only primary souce of material). In my schedule, I took secondary tests on Monday and Wednesday, then a primary (AAMC) test each Friday. Every time you take a test, you should do a careful post-game analysis. Make this analysis twice as thorough for AAMC tests.

The second is quizzing. This is what you do on your other days (in my case, Tuesday and Thursday, with a little less on Saturday). This is the time where you get out a book such as EK1001 or TPR Hyperlearning and do practice questions and passages on whichever subject you did poorly on last time you took a test. You could also simulate a test if you wish, doing 52 PS questions, 7 VR passages, and 52 BS questions.

After every single test or quiz, it is imperative that you study the questions you got wrong and WHY you got them wrong. The simple mistakes (such as forgetting the formula to calculate Joules) go on flashcards. Your flashcards should have a single word or phrase on the front; on the other side, all the information you need to know about the term. For example:
Front: Newtons
Back: Mass*Acceleration. Measure of force. Newtons = kg*meters/seconds^2

You will also have a notebook for more complicated questions, or a passage which you did poorly at. For example, let’s say you get to a passage on the sympathetic nervous system and only get 3/6 correct. To prevent this from happening again, you will write a passage on the sympathetic nervous system in your notebook, containing as many questions as you feel you need. Alternately, if you mess up a complicated question, put it in your notebook with an in-depth answer explaining why the correct answer is actually the correct answer. (Don’t do this for VR—it is a whole separate section that requires special tactics to tackle.) Organize your notebook so the questions start on page one and answers start at the half-way point, so you can flip between them easily.

While doing your flashcards and notebook, engage in content review. I have a rather low opinion of content review, and only used it when struggling with a difficult concept.

=2. Verbal is Different=

Verbal is the bane of everyone’s existence. It is the most conceptual of the sections, and there is no benefit to be gained from writing flashcards for VR or including it in your notebook. Rather, I did a full section (7 passages) almost every day and treated it like the actual exam. The only difference I made between materials was to review any primary (AAMC) material with utmost detail, going over every single question with a fine-toothed comb during the post-test analysis. On quiz materials or secondary tests, the more important thing is to practice your method of reading, timing, and approaching questions logically.

Often, the writers of secondary tests will have… let’s say “interesting”… methods of reasoning out the correct answer to a single question. I say: ignore their reasoning. Don’t even read it. But, on the other hand, realize that the MCAT authors are always right. Why? Because they wrote the test. That makes them infallible when it comes to VR. Get that into your head right now. The MCAT authors are always right.

Reasoning behind AAMC Verbal answers = always right
Reasoning behind Secondary Verbal answers = virtually meaningless.

=3. Use Resources That Are Readily Available.=

Chances are you have a University library. Use it. Who knows what study material you might find on the shelves? And as a follow up, use your public library and see what they have available. I got a couple Kaplan and TBR books from my local public library. Get a library card and check! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to classmates about some expensive textbook and when I ask if they checked the public libraries, they stare at me like I’m speaking Ukrainian.

For that matter, use Google and Wikipedia if you need help answering a specific question that does not appear to be in your content review books.

=4. Which Materials Are Best?=

It largely does not matter what materials you use. Obviously, the AAMC tests are the absolute best and you should use them in the most effective way possible. But, beyond that, the whole debate about TBR/TPR/EK/Kaplan/GS/Arco/Etc is largely moot. The value that can be obtained from each is dependent on how much effort YOU put into understanding the material and how well you do your post-game analysis.

In short, your own dedication to your success is the single most important factor to determining how much you can raise your score.

In the previous section, I said you should use libraries to find materials. That’s exactly what I did for the vast majority of the materials I used.

For the purpose of full disclosure:
—For tests, I used: AAMC (obviously), Kaplan, Arco, GS, and maybe TPR and TBR (Might have gotten an online test or two from these, but don’t remember).
—For quizzes, I used: Mostly just EK101 for Verbal, and the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook (~2000 questions in this book is equivalent to ~20 MCAT exams).
—For content review, I used: Kaplan, TPR, TBR, some GS videos, Arco, Wikipedia, Google, Youtube, and more.

=5. Get A Timer And Use It=

Preparing for the MCAT may be a marathon, but the actual test is not. The time you spend actually answering questions on the MCAT is, at most, 3 hours and 20 minutes. You also get two 10-minute breaks. Yet I have heard frequently of people doing 5… 6… 7… even 8 hour marathons of studying. In my mind, this is the single best way to wear yourself out and forget everything you went over by the following morning.

I used a timer any time I did something on paper. If it was a test, I gave myself 70 minutes for PS, 60 for VR, and 70 for BS. If a quiz day, I would do 75 minutes of PS or BS, and 60 for VR (I did a VR passage about ¾ of my quiz days, regardless. For BS and PS, the goal during quizzes was to answer as many questions as possible within the given time without getting reckless. For Verbal, it was more about the technique of reading the passages and reasoning through the 40 questions within 60 minutes.

Make sure to take a FULL 10 minute break between each section. When you’re done with 3 quiz sections, take a longer break (I usually grabbed lunch) and get refreshed. Then come back, correct, and review what you got wrong.

If you are really intense, you could try 4 hours of quizzes. If that works for you, fine. Just don’t get burned out.

=6. Do Something Every Day=

Don’t slack off.

If you have a dedicated “rest day” (mine was Sunday), you should at least do something slightly helpful toward the goal of studying for the MCAT. Review your flashcards or read through your notebook. You could even do some non-MCAT reading or play League of Legends. Anything to keep you sharp and active. Some people have said playing minigames on their iPhone keeps them sharp. Go with whatever works for you.

Don’t watch Amish Mafia, Ancient Aliens or Honey Boo Boo. If you do any of those, I think you deserve to lose points on your MCAT.

=7. What I Suggest When You Need a Break=

Some days you wake up and have absolutely no drive to answer questions about capacitors. Or you may feel sick or have a headache. In that case, it is okay to put aside your plans for the day and do something easier. Turn a 3-part quiz day into a 1-part quiz day if you must. Don’t slack off just because you’re feeling lazy (that’s the single worst thing you can do while preparing for this test).

But when you do need a break, you should do something productive. I really like reading as a relaxing pastime (and it might increase your VR score slightly). If you are looking for a reading list, I would suggest:
—Maus by Art Spiegelman. The biography of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jew in Poland during WWII. The only graphic novel to win a Pulitzer Prize.
—Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Set in Napoleonic Wars England, this book tells the tale of the first two English magicians in several centuries. Although very long (1000 pages in mass market paperback), it received universal acclaim from critics in numerous genres.

Of course, you could also try something more stimulating. Whether this means a jog around the block, a hot shower, or an intense game of Starcraft is up to you.

TV is the last option, IMO. I hardly ever watch TV, but I know that there are some good, informational shows around. I like Antiques Roadshow and Mysteries at the Museum because I feel like I learn something with every episode. The Military Chanel is good if you like to study WWII, but it can be extremely depressing. Or you can find something for yourself—just make sure it will leave you smarter than before you tuned in.

=8. Earplugs=

Get some.

Short story: When I took the GRE a couple years ago, some woman a few tables down started crying. I don’t know if it’s because she was too stressed or had just seen her score, but she was sobbing and trying to be quiet about it. She was also failing, and I’m pretty sure everyone in the testing center could hear her. The only reason I could hear her was because I had forgotten my earplugs that morning.

Short Story #2:When I took the MCAT a couple months ago, I was randomly assigned to seat #1. Do you know which one that is? In my test center, it’s the one closest to the door. People were walking behind me and opening and closing that squeaky door the whole time. Gladly, I remembered to bring my earplugs this day, so the noise was practically indistinguishable.

Now, I realize that people have different size ear canals, so I have put together a quick list based on my own experiences with trying to find the perfect noise-blocking earplug:
—Very Small Ears: Mack’s Dreamgirl. Don’t laugh. Anyway, these things are tiny. Only small females and children would find these useful.
—Small Ears: 3M 1120. They look weird, but are actually soft and very easy to place. “3M” is the maker and “1120” is the model number.
—Medium Ears: Max Lite. This is the kind I use almost every night. :sleep: They are slightly hard to place, but are very comfortable when in right and cut sound amazingly well. I can wear these for 12+ hours without discomfort.
—Large Ears: Laser Lite. The same as Max Lite, but with a larger diameter. I can wear these for a short time, but they begin to irritate my ears after a couple hours.
—Very Large Ears: EARsoft FX. These have the absolute highest noise reduction rating, but are for huge ears only. I can wear these for a few minutes before they start bothering me.

=9. Find Something Which Helps You Concentrate=

No. I don’t mean Ritalin. And if that was the first thing to enter your mind, you might want to take a course in medical ethics. :slap:

I mean something like coffee, candy, or energy drinks. Something high in sugar, caffeine, or both. Something completely legal and ethical.

Caffeine has never really worked for me. Sugar does. I know, it’s unhealthy and predisposes one to diabetes and all that, but it’s what helps me when a major test is involved.

I started with peanut butter M&Ms. But these got rather boring after a while, so I tried some other candies and eventually settled on skittles. Yes. I’m serious. They have a variety of flavors, so they don’t get repetitive in taste. When you’re on a 10-minute break during a practice test take a couple handfuls and throw them back while you take some deep breaths and prepare mentally for the next section.

Every person is different. Figure out what works for you.

=10. Mark Questions And Review Them=

It sounds obvious, but so many people don’t do it!

While you’re taking a test (either primary or secondary), mark a question if you’re not sure about your answer. Do this in every single test, whether primary or secondary. Pretend each one is the actual MCAT. If you have time left at the end of the section, go back and review your marked questions one-by-one. Think about why you marked this question in the first place. Is it because some calculation confused you? Or did you mark it just to double-check your work? Is it because the question uses some vocabulary you aren’t familiar with? Try to reason it out. If you can’t, move on to the next marked question.

Fair warning: Be extremely careful what you mark in VR. After completing the seventh passage, it’s generally a very bad idea to jump back to passage #2 and try to recall the details of it. Your goal should be to go through VR once and finish with ~60 seconds left.

Only mark a question in VR if:
—It’s simply-worded.
—You can narrow it down to 2 answer choices beforehand.
—And you think you will remember enough of the passage to return to it and still answer questions.

Furthermore, use every second you have in each section. NEVER finish a section if there are some answers you’re unsure about. If you have even a minute left, go back to those questions and think about them. Maybe something will pop into your head. One more correct answer can make the difference between a 10 and an 11.

=11. Use Your Scratch Paper=

The MCAT rules allow you to scribble notes on your scratch paper during the tutorial and examinee agreement. Each of these allows you 10 minutes, but takes about 1. That gives you a good 18 minutes or so to scribble on your scratch paper before the first section: PS.

Over my two months of study, I developed a pool of 22 equations that I would write on scratch paper before every test. These were simple equations which I had a tendency to forget when they came up in the middle of full-length exams. On the actual test, I ended up using five of these.

(No, I won’t tell you what my 22 equations were. Come up with your own list.)

Also, get used to writing the following series of numbers in the corner of your scratch paper: “52-44-36-28-20-12”. This is a mark of how much time you should have remaining at the end of each of the first 6 verbal passages. If I was within 1-2 minutes of these times, I considered that fine. If I was more than two minutes ahead, I would try to slow down a little, because in all likelihood I was rushing either my reading or my question answering. If I was more than two minutes behind, I would start reading faster to get back in line. Notice this allows you ~8 minutes to finish each passage. Also note, it allows four minutes of leeway in case you get stuck on a very hard passage or have to read something over again.

=12. Set Aside A Quiet Place=

Okay, this sounds pretty obvious, but you’d be amazed how many don’t do it!

For paper materials: find a nice, clean desk you can use and push it up against a wall so whenever you look up, there is nothing interesting to see. Keep the desk clear except for your timer and whatever books and papers you are using at the moment.

For computerized tests: clear off the area around your computer so you have nothing but a mouse, your scratch paper, and computer screen. A keyboard is allowable, but since the removal of the WS section, completely unnecessary.

For both: Use your earplugs. Get used to them. Have your candy/coffee/energy drink nearby and only reach for it during scheduled breaks. Turn off your phone and put it in another room. Don’t check email/Facebook/Twitter/etc until you are ready to take your lunch break.

Short Story: I bombed one of my AAMC tests (#9). The reason? I forgot to mute my phone and had a family member call near the end of PS. I had to answer—I couldn’t just let it ring and pretend I was not home. I was stuck on the phone for several minutes. While I still answered every single question, the distraction was enough to drop my score SIX points from my previous AAMC. :scared: Seeing such a drop made me want to give up, but I told myself it was a fluke and scored much better on the next test.

=13. If You Can Find The Old “R” Tests, Use Them First=

The “R” version of the MCAT is an older version, from the early 1990’s. I’m not exactly clear on the details surrounding it, or when it was replaced with the current exam, but I can tell you that it covers all the same topics as the current MCAT. The only significant difference is the “R” test is longer. The following mini-chart compares the distribution of questions:

.......Current…..“R”
PS…..52………..77
VR…..40……….65
BS…..52……….77
Tot…144……...219

Simple math (219/144) shows that the “R” versions of the MCAT are 1.5 times as long as the current version. So each “R” test is like doing one and a half MCATs. I’m not sure how to time these exactly, so I did them without timing them, going at a normal pace. They took 4+ hours each (after breaks), which seemed about right.

If you can find AAMC #1, it is an “R” test. I don’t know about #2, as I never found a copy. Also, some old prep books have the longer tests. If you can find any “R” tests, do them first. They will help you build up stamina and test you on 50% more content simultaneously.

Finally, some books with “R” tests either don’t have a scoring scale, or have one that is bizarrely out of proportion. I created a scale which seems more accurate to me. This scale gave me a 30 on AAMC #1, which was bracketed by 32s on AAMC #3 and #4 (and each section was plus or minus 1) so I’d call it a decent estimation.

………......PS/BS…..VR
15………..76-77……65
14………..73-75……63-64
13………..70-72……60-62
12………..67-69……57-59
11………..64-66……54-57
10………..59-63……49-53
9…………55-58……44-48
8…………50-54……39-43
7…………46-49……34-38
6…………40-45……29-33
5…………33-39……23-28
1-4……….less………less

The method for creating this chart took a while, but basically involved taking all the scaled-score data from e-mcat.com, averaging the charts there, turning that into a ‘percent correct’ chart, and then turning those percentages into a # out of 77 or 65 correct.

I present it here so you don’t have to go through all the work. I only hope you can find some “R” tests to use it on. :xf:

=14. Pick Your Studying Time Carefully=

And by “time”, I mean “time of year”.

There are three times of year you can reasonably study for the MCAT:
—Christmas break.
—Summer break.
—Any term you are taking no classes.

Now, it has been said on this board innumerable times, but I feel I must repeat it here… Study at a time when you have no other commitments. No job. No research. No classes. I know it is hard to put your entire life aside to prepare for a single test, but that is what is required to get all you can out of your study time.

I could only manage 2 months over Christmas break (starting the day I had my last final of fall term, and running two weeks into classes during winter term). I wish I could have done it the previous summer, but I had to take a condensed chemistry course to complete my BS degree.

I know some of you work. I know some of you have families. You might be able to do your MCAT studying at night. Or do 2-hour quizzes instead of 3.

You could always review flashcards when you have a few minutes alone. Or read through your workbook if you take public transit.

If you have significant family or work obligations which you absolutely cannot escape. I must say that the 2-month plan is probably not for you. Sorry. You should give yourself more time. I would suggest using the same strategy of quizzing, testing, and careful analysis… but over a longer period. 3 months, or 4 months maybe. Whatever it takes for you to be comfortable with the material.

=15. Finish All Your Prereqs=

I cannot stress this one hard enough.

Occasionally I will see posts here (or elsewhere) asking “do I have to take Ochem before the MCAT?” :bang:

I always want to answer with something snarky along the lines of “Only if you want to score higher than the 20th percentile in BS.”

But seriously. The MCAT tests on four subjects in science: Physics, GenChem, OChem, and Biology. You absolutely NEED to take the basic prereqs to do well on the MCAT.

I would even suggest more courses. Mammal Physiology, Intro to Biochem, and Human Genetics (aka Clinical Genetics) were the most beneficial to me. But then, I am a biology major, so people of other majors may have other opinions.

I’ve also heard that Calculus-Based Physics and Physical Chemistry (or Analytical Chemistry) can be extremely beneficial for the PS section (if you can survive them—I didn’t take any of them). As for Ochem, I led an Ochem workshop for a year, which was extremely helpful with refreshing all those finicky reactions.

In short, take your prereqs. Pay attention. And study hard in each of them—you never know what insignificant piece of knowledge will come up on the MCAT.

=16. Read The 30+ Thread Here On SDN=

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250

That’s the link to the thread. Read it; it contains words of advice from others who slew this minotaur of a test.

To elaborate, this was actually the very first thing I did in preparing for the MCAT. I read every single post—yes all 1200+!. Everything I found helpful or inspirational was scribbled in my workbook, on the very last page. Over time, I added and removed ideas. What remains are the points you are reading here.

=17. Get A Good Night Of Sleep=

Every single night.

Nothing is worse than trying to think about total internal reflection and the molecular causes of Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome on 4 hours of sleep. Heck, it’s hard enough with a full night of sleep behind you.

While engaged in the Spinach Method, you should try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake up only when you feel rested and ready to start the day.

Furthermore, I believe that sleep deprivation is most detrimental to VR—the section which people generally have the hardest time with. Sleep deprivation wrecks the mind’s ability to focus and work on detail-oriented tasks. The most detail-oriented section of the MCAT is VR!

If you suffer from insomnia, don’t schedule yourself for a morning test!

If you aren’t convinced that a good night of sleep is important, read this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_sleep_deprivation_on_cognitive_performance

=18. Don’t Be Afraid To Cancel If You’re Not Ready=

You should set a realistic “goal” score, based on your GPA, ECs, and which schools you hope to get into. Are you alright with DO? Or is Harvard the only school for you? All of these things will effect your goal score.

I can’t tell you what your goal should be, but the lower your GPA and ECs, the higher your goal should be. Look at the MSAR to figure out which schools admit applicants with stats near yours.

When you look at the schedule below, you will see that every Friday you will be doing an AAMC test. These are spaced out regularly so you can use them to assess how well you are advancing in your studies.

You will also notice #3 is the very first test you will take. Many advise against this, but I think it is a great idea because it allows you to assess where you stand before you truly start studying. Thus, it allows you to track your advances more carefully. Also, AAMC #11 is the very last test you will take, completing your preparation and giving the best possible prediction of what your actual MCAT score will be.

If you get within a few weeks of test day and are still nowhere near your goal, you must realize that massive gains on test day are exceedingly rare. Most people are within 1 on each individual section (plus or minus). Getting +2 on a section over your last practice test is a fluke.

So if you get near test day (say, when you take AAMC #9 according to the schedule below), and find your score is far below your goal, you have 4 options:
—Change your goal.
—Change your test date.
—Take the test anyway and pray.
—Take the test anyway and immediately void.

My suggestion is to delay your test date. It allows you the chance to work on your weaknesses and bring your score up towards your goal. Also, you would have saved AAMC #10 and #11 for later use.

=19. Know Everything=

This is in reference to PS and BS specifically.

There are some subjects which appear more frequently on the MCAT, and some which appear less frequently. For examples, let’s say… radioactivity appears on most tests in one way or another, while capacitors can appear, but less frequently. (Once you’ve done all the AAMC tests, you will get a feel for what is more frequent.)

That does not mean you need to know about radioactivity, but can ignore capacitors. No. You must know everything that might show up on the test. That’s how to do well in the sciences. You must know how to calculate the capacitance of parallel and series capacitors. You must know what variables affect the capacitance of a capacitor. You don’t need to know these things because it will be on the test, but because it might be on the test.

Realize that at the very top scores (11+), raising your score 1 point can mean as little as 1-2 questions. So the fact that you know how to find the overall capacitance of a series of capacitors might make that difference!
:prof:
If you can’t know everything, you need to do your absolute best to know as much as possible

=20. Don’t Get Burned Out=

I feel like I’m repeating myself here, but I think this is the second most important thing on this list (behind only #1, The Overall Idea).

:beat:

Seriously, this is a problem I think most people face during their MCAT preparation. The constant days of questions and questions and tests after tests wears on people. Regardless of what some gunners say, it is mentally exhausting.

That’s why my schedule allows for a Free Day on every Sunday. If you are feeling over-taxed, relax. Do nothing MCAT-related. This conflicts directly with #6 on my list, but if you feel absolutely drained, then just relax. I made some suggestions in #7, which gives a few things you can do during rest days.

But, if none of those work for you, do whatever.

I am not going to yell at you for not following the schedule. I’m providing the schedule to you. I’m not demanding you follow it to the word.

Short Story: Even I took a few unscheduled days off. That’s what happens when you do your test prep over Christmas break. I had family meetings to attend… and classes started two weeks before my test day. So, for a couple of those days, I accomplished nothing MCAT-related.

Regardless of the couple days I took off, I still raised my score 10 points in 2 months. I would suggest you stick closer to the schedule, but it’s all up to your dedication and how much you want to succeed.

So take the minotaur by the horns and kick its ass!

That’s all for now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
While I'm approaching my full-length phase, I'm greatly anticipating your write up on the sciences. Thanks.

Guys - I am working on the PS and BS sections. They will not be up this weekend, but perhaps soon.

dudewheresmymd - I'll try to get to your questions later tonight. Some of them will require some in-depth answers, but I will answer every question to the best of my abilities. I hope you can wait a little while.

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT is actually this Saturday and I'm almost certain I'll end up retaking it. I'm scoring around 25-27s range right now and have already exhausted all the AAMC tests and a few kaplan FL. for someone who's considering to retake it like myself, what do you suggest? Redo aamc? I'm pretty sure I'd get biased/inflated scores since I've already done them.

Thanks for the questions, everyone.

I am busy today, but will try to answer them all later tonight. :)

hey Spinach Dip,
read your post on the 2 month study schedule. it's great and I hope it works for me. I am using a lot of the same techniques, but in my own form. A couple of questions I had for you: (posted on forum in case others may have same question!)

1) I have been using passage mapping and it seems to be working at least on kaplan and EK...I can finish on time, (i'm only jotting down 1-3 words per paragraph which doesn't even allow me to misword the author's intention (just as a sort of landmark to keep my focus)..do you think this is ok if it's working for me so far?

Everyone is different. If this works for you GO FOR IT.

I, personally, found passage mapping to be far more trouble than it was worth, and all my suggestions here are based on what I found most helpful. You are free to disagree with any point I made and use any strategy that you find helpful.

I would still suggest you try a couple VR sections without it. (especially AAMC verbal sections)

2) If we do the R versions of the AAMC, should we not do the regular CBT non R versions? Since the material will overlap?

Your theory is flawed for a couple reasons:

First, the material does not overlap. (At least, in my observations.)

Second, the AAMC CBTs are the absolute best practice material there is. Do not disregard them or fail to use them because some of the material might overlap with something else.

3) I am keeping my mistakes on TBR and Kaplan's full lengths on a spreadsheet. Do you recommend I copy paste my "why did I get this wrong" in a notebook like you did so it makes it easier to read every day?

Sure, if that makes it easier for you to review them. Alternately, you could print out the sheets and put them in your notebook (folded in half or taped in... whichever you prefer), so you can review them with ease.

4) what should the timing be "52 44 36 28 20 12" be for PS and BS? Kaplan suggests for verbal "43, 26, 9" to only check in pairs for verbal and "57 (discretes done), 41, 25, 9" (check in pairs)...do you have any optimal suggestions for checking time in PS and BS? And is checking after every passage better than checking after pairs like kaplan suggests in your opinion?

On VR, I would suggest checking after every single reading. That way, you can keep a better eye on where you are in comparison to where you should be.

For BS and PS, I never came up with a defined timeline. This was because I always finished with plenty of time to go over the questions I marked.

If you have trouble completing BS or PS on time, I suggest you be careful of the individual questions which eat up the most time. I'm afraid I can't give you a precise outline, but this is something which should come with practice. When you get to a certain point in your studying, there are some questions you will be able to answer almost instantly (ie, newtons*distance=?), and some others which will take a little bit of time to reason through or use PoE. A few (the super-tough ones) will stop you cold. You will either have no idea what the question is asking, have no idea how to solve the equation involved, or be otherwise stuck on it for an extended period of time. Watch out for these questions. Don't spend too much time on them. If you have to, make a guess, mark them, and come back later.

5) Right now I'm planning on taking 2 full lengths a week, do you suggest I ramp it up to 3 during the month of april?

If you can do it without getting burned out, yes.

6) This quizzing you suggest...I'm a bit confused how you did it. I have the TPRH science workbook, should I do 70 mins of passage based questions and get through as many as I can in one sitting and then review "would that be like a quiz?"

Pretty much.

I would sit down with the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook, and do ~35 minutes of Physics discretes and ~35 minutes of physics passages at once. Try to do as many problems without rushing. After that, take a short break before moving on to the next topic.

What subjects should you focus on? Well, that is entirely up to you. I did a lot of physics because it was my weakest area early on.

7) Also, should I eat up all my verbal materials from secondary sources going into 30 days before the exam? That is should I only be reviewing AAMC verbal during the 30 days before my exam?

Not necessary.

Read my VR advice again. You need secondary sources to practice your technique. But you should only care about the scores/reasoning/etc from the actual AAMC exams.

8) Did you finish all of TBR 100 passage set questions (in bio, gen chem and orgo?) and most of the passages for (bio, gen chem physics) in TPRH Science Workbook? Did you only do passages in TPRH science workbook or also the discrete questions as quizzes?

Actually, I didn't quite finish any of the books I used for quizzing/content review.:oops:

Don't get me wrong, I could have. But when I was getting nearer my test date I was more focused on taking practice tests while simulating test-day conditions and reviewing my workbook.

Thanks man!! Hope to get a solid score like you!

:love:

Last edited:
Pretty sure every single question on the CBT tests overlap with the R version tests. Except probably AAMC 11 & 10 which didn't have R versions.

Thanks Spinach, very helpful!! And like previous post mentioned, I was told/under the impression that the Rs have exactly the same questions + 3-5 more passages? As in the R is exactly the same as the CBT with the additional benefit of 3-5 passages/section. Is this not true?

Pretty sure every single question on the CBT tests overlap with the R version tests. Except probably AAMC 11 & 10 which didn't have R versions.

I'm not certain about that. :confused:

The only R test I found was AAMC #1. It did not overlap with any of the other AAMC tests.

If you found an R version of AAMC #3 (do they even exist?), I'd suggest you use it, then take the CBT version. If the two have significant overlap, then you should clearly take the CBT score with a grain of salt--because you've seen the material before.

Ya AAMC 3-9 R versions are out there if you look really hard. I'm certain that the AAMC 3-9 cbts overlap 100% with those. Never knew about AAMC 1 lol gotta check that out now...

Hey Spinach, so in your advice thread you said do not review secondary source answer explanations...I was doing this at first but then stopped when I saw your advice as it seems to make sense. But Ek's manual says to do verbal exam, then next day review each answer explanation thoroughly and try to gain new insights into your "verbal reasoning process?" This sounds like baloney, but should I just disregard their written verbal manual advice.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Oh and SN2ed recommends doing 2-3 passages a day, do you disagree and think verbal practice should only be done in FULL 60 minute sections or is this just tailored to your 2 month strategy schedule...I'm guessing?

More questions. More answers.

Spinach,

How do you feel about structured courses like Princeton and Kaplan? Is there one you would recommend over the other

I think that they could be anywhere from utterly useless to invaluable, based on your own personality and study styles.

Are you able to self-study and keep yourself on track? Then you don't need these courses.

Are you the kind of person who prefers to learn in a lecture type environment? Will you actually do to homework they assign? Do you have 2 grand to toss at one of these courses? Then you might find them useful.

Also, I am not informed enough to prefer one over any of the others.

My MCAT is actually this Saturday and I'm almost certain I'll end up retaking it. I'm scoring around 25-27s range right now and have already exhausted all the AAMC tests and a few kaplan FL. for someone who's considering to retake it like myself, what do you suggest? Redo aamc? I'm pretty sure I'd get biased/inflated scores since I've already done them.

Wait until you get your official score. Who knows, you might get lucky and pull out a 30.

For re-taking, I'd suggest that you find entirely new secondary sources, so all your secondary practice tests and quizzes are on brand-new material.

But on every Friday, I would still suggest you take the AAMC exams. Even though you have seen them before, they are the single most accurate tool for preparing for test day. Yes, you have seen all the questions and your score will be a little inflated. Try to ignore that. Try to approach each one as if it's new and look at every single question with extra care.

If you get any questions wrong on your second time through the test, you can be sure that is an area you need to study.

Hey Spinach, so in your advice thread you said do not review secondary source answer explanations...I was doing this at first but then stopped when I saw your advice as it seems to make sense. But Ek's manual says to do verbal exam, then next day review each answer explanation thoroughly and try to gain new insights into your "verbal reasoning process?" This sounds like baloney, but should I just disregard their written verbal manual advice.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Oh and SN2ed recommends doing 2-3 passages a day, do you disagree and think verbal practice should only be done in FULL 60 minute sections or is this just tailored to your 2 month strategy schedule...I'm guessing?

1. I disagree with EK's strategy because it relies on reviewing secondary sources for the reasoning behind VR answers. In my opinion, the only source that matters is AAMC.

2. I think VR practice should ALWAYS be done in 60 minute chunks because you are working on your technique at all times.

Others have different opinions, and I respect that. Doing VR in 60 minute chunks is what worked for me.

A member via PM said:
Hello Spinach,

If it is possible, can you send me AAMC 1 exam, please? I can't seem to find this exam anywhere:(

Unfortunately, no. Sorry, but it is at my university library as a permanent resource. I can't even check it out.

I'd suggest going to every academic library you can find, and checking their MCAT materials. Even check the ones that aren't labeled or are poorly bound. You never know when you'll come across a long-lost gem.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Someone else via PM said:
So I've been using EK 101 and here are my scores: from 1-7: 8,6,9, 8, 8, 8, 8. Albeit, I've been doing these as broken up sets of 3-4 or even 1 sometimes. But it seems like either i'll miss random questions here and there, or I'll miss an entire passage b/c I couldn't determine the main idea (too convoluted..) like I just totally missed the point of founding fathers "cruel and unusual punishment" passage. Did you ever break 10 on EK? I noticed you got an 11 on the real deal Am I doing ok so far if I want an 11-13 on the real deal?

That sounds like a good start. Remember that EK, while an excellent resource, is not nearly as valuable as the actual AAMCs.

If you read the very bottom of my VR post, you will find how I did on various VR materials. For EK specifically, I got mostly 8s and 9s. Maybe I scored a 10 once or twice, I don't really remember right now.

The most important thing about EK 101 is practicing your technique, so when you take your AAMC practice tests, you will have plenty of practice with what you're doing and how you are doing it..

I'm not certain about that. :confused:

The only R test I found was AAMC #1. It did not overlap with any of the other AAMC tests.

If you found an R version of AAMC #3 (do they even exist?), I'd suggest you use it, then take the CBT version. If the two have significant overlap, then you should clearly take the CBT score with a grain of salt--because you've seen the material before.

Just FYI, the R versions of 3-9 do exist and are simply extended versions of the CBTs: they contain all of the same problems plus an additional 25 (or 20 VR). Taking the CBT version of an AAMC after taking the R version is tantamount to retaking the same test; you're doing the exact same test, but without problems that were pruned. Re-taking practice tests has limited utility, in my opinion, and shouldn't be done if you're on any sort of schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, the R versions of 3-9 do exist and are simply extended versions of the CBTs: they contain all of the same problems plus an additional 25 (or 20 VR). Taking the CBT version of an AAMC after taking the R version is tantamount to retaking the same test; you're doing the exact same test, but without problems that were pruned. Re-taking practice tests has limited utility, in my opinion, and shouldn't be done if you're on any sort of schedule.

Wow did not know this thanks.

I can eliminate all the double up of Rs now and put more time into the Science Workbook.

I'm starting my FL's a week from monday, but will be making note of which passages in the "R" format are not in the CBT versions. There's like 3 extra passages per R exam. I think this will add up to about 2 extra tests worth of AAMC passages.

And before jimmies are rustled, the AAMC gave my school official copies of the R versions way back when and verbal permission to make copies for students of the university only. So these resources were not obtained illegally.

I'm starting my FL's a week from monday, but will be making note of which passages in the "R" format are not in the CBT versions. There's like 3 extra passages per R exam. I think this will add up to about 2 extra tests worth of AAMC passages.

And before jimmies are rustled, the AAMC gave my school official copies of the R versions way back when and verbal permission to make copies for students of the university only. So these resources were not obtained illegally.

Can I transfer to your school this semester? :laugh:

LOCK.EVERYTHING.DOWN

CALL THE SDN POLICE

:p

Quit hating. His method worked for him and he is going out of his way to help others out. What have you contributed to this thread? He has an MCAT score that I know you'd trade your left nut for and very extremely few people get. So quit nit-picking on irrelevant bs, if you think his method sucks you can always leave and not come back. While you're at it, you should get off your high horse, especially since you even HAVEN'T taken the MCAT yet lol.

I look forward to your very own strategy thread/post after you score 40+ in March like Spinach Dip did.

Haha YEAH, I 2nd what you said Forkit! :p:laugh:-->the nerve of some ppl:uhno:

Spinach Dip, Thank you SOOO much for doing this for us all. The S2DN was very helpful, but seemed somewhat complicated. I love and appreciate your simplicity.

Your explanations of the MCAT VR tricks are very helpful as well. I have 2 months left (May 23rd Exam) and I still have some content review to do. Today is March 23rd, a Saturday. According to your schedule, week 1 is content review, should I cram all of my content review into this first week? My 1st week would end next Saturday. Do you think I should have every subject reviewed by then, even if its a handful of subjects and just try to master the material via my quizzing sessions? Im still weak on some areas mainly Physics, GenChem, and Bio. I can push my date back, because I've been doing that too much now and just need to SUCCESSFULLY get it over with.

-What is your advice on what I should do based on the fact that 1) my exam is May 23rd, 2) i still have content review to do, 3) i still am weak in some areas?

-How long did it take you to complete content review and KNOW the concepts of a specific subject?

-Will you explain in detail, and with examples, what you did specifically for your post analysis techniques on each subject, which helped you to improve?

-If you didn't understand an explanation, did you have someone to go to for clear comprehensible explanations?
-if so, who did you go to? -if not, what did you do? -Did you work alone or with a study partner?

-How did you do so well the first time scoring a 30? Just to be sure, when you scored the 40, was this your 2nd time taking the real MCAT or your 1st? -Did you obtain your 30 via your regular AAMC practice testing?

Last edited:
Haha YEAH, I 2nd what you said Forkit! :p:laugh:-->the nerve of some ppl:uhno:

:highfive:

Spinach Dip, Thank you SOOO much for doing this for us all. The S2DN was very helpful, but seemed somewhat complicated. I love and appreciate your simplicity.

Your explanations of the MCAT VR tricks are very helpful as well. I have 2 months left (May 23rd Exam) and I still have some content review to do. Today is March 23rd, a Saturday. According to your schedule, week 1 is content review, should I cram all of my content review into this first week? My 1st week would end next Saturday. Do you think I should have every subject reviewed by then, even if its a handful of subjects and just try to master the material via my quizzing sessions? Im still weak on some areas mainly Physics, GenChem, and Bio. I can push my date back, because I've been doing that too much now and just need to SUCCESSFULLY get it over with.

Focus your content review on those subjects you clearly need help with. For example, how much do you know about nuclear decay? Be honest with yourself. If you think you have a decent handle on it, don't do content review of the subject. If you feel you don't know it well enough, read over the subject and try to get a handle on the basics.

-What is your advice on what I should do based on the fact that 1) my exam is May 23rd, 2) i still have content review to do, 3) i still am weak in some areas?

Focus on quizzing and practice tests. Do content review on those subjects you score poorly on.

-How long did it take you to complete content review and KNOW the concepts of a specific subject?

I'll be honest.

I spent ~0 days doing content review before I started testing and quizzing. The moment I got out of fall classes, I went straight into AAMC#3 and a couple of Kaplan practice tests.

I did content review after each test and quiz on those subjects I scored poorly on.

-Will you explain in detail, and with examples, what you did specifically for your post analysis techniques on each subject, which helped you to improve?

I don't know how many specifics you want. :confused:

I reviewed what I got wrong. For every wrong answer that wasn't the result of a stupid mistake, I either: made a flashcard, added to an old flashcard, or put a question in my workbook. If I did poorly on an entire passage, I would do some concentrated content review and put an entire passage in my workbook with careful explanations of why each correct answer was correct.

-If you didn't understand an explanation, did you have someone to go to for clear comprehensible explanations?
-if so, who did you go to? -if not, what did you do? -Did you work alone or with a study partner?

Ehhh... I used several books for content review. Chances were I could find the answer I wanted (written in a way I could understand) in at least one of them. I also used Google and Wikipedia.

I didn't study in a group, or with a partner.

-How did you do so well the first time scoring a 30? Just to be sure, when you scored the 40, was this your 2nd time taking the real MCAT or your 1st? -Did you obtain your 30 via your regular AAMC practice testing?

30 was on a practice test. I only took the MCAT once.

And the reason I scored so well is because I had finished my bachelors in biology just the previous term. I scored ~12 on my first BS sections and 9-10 on my first PS and VR sections.

I increased my score by careful review of every question I got wrong.

EDIT: Okay, after reading this over, I realize I repeated myself a bit. But seriously... there is nothing exceedingly complicated or secretive about this method. Just follow the main idea and see how well it works for you.

Last edited:
Your method looks great!

Just a few questions I have about it:

a. How does your post-AAMC test analysis differ from your post-secondary test and post-quiz analysis?
(Do you review ALL AAMC test questions vs. only review questions you answered WRONG from the secondary tests and quizzes)

b. If you only review questions that you answered wrong, how do you account for questions that you may have only gotten right by chance/with a lucky guess?

c. I know that you mentioned all material sources/companies are effective, but which did you find prepared you best for the actual MCAT?

d. Could you provide further clarification about your quiz days (in regard to: does the day involve just one round of PS, VR, BS then review or do you do multiple rounds of PS, VR, and BS then review)?

Looking forward to hearing your replies and to seeing the rest of your guide!
Thanks!

Hey Spinach Dip,

I'm taking my mcat April 4th, and I'm started to get a bit freaked out for a few reasons. I started studying at the beginning of January and went through all three phases of TBR physics and chem and just the first phase of bio/orgo (but studied with audio osmosis, Im a neuroscience major and always felt pretty comfortable with bio/orgo passages).

I am scoring well on AAMCs (have gotten 37-39 on my past three), but still have AAMC 10 and 11 which Ill finish by saturday. I cant decide if I should take lots of practice tests my last week (like every other day) to get into test taking mode, or if I should review content. I'm also freaking out because I am really good at bio experimental passages and I have a good understanding of the bio material, but I'm realizing now there are so many details I havent memorized. I score really well on bio passages but more because I have good intuition / good at understanding the passages than because I know everything like the back of my hand. Do you feel like the actual test is similar to the AAMC's in that sense or should I focus my time on memorizing lots of bio details? Also, do you recommend going through all old problems i've gotten wrong

So sorry about my rant! Basically, my two main questions are 1. should i focus on lots of practice tests to get into test taking mode (would probably ease my anxiety, but my exhaust me) 2. should i focus on bio details or trust my experience w bio passages? 3. should i focus time on reviewing all the old problems that I got wrong in TBR and AAMC exams(ive kept good track of them all!)

Thanks for your help!!

Just my MCAT experience but if you have a basic understanding of bio 1 and 2 then I wouldn't waste my time memorizing little details. The bio section seems to be more verbalish than in the past, so most bio questions are going to ask you to apply your knowledge of intro bio rather than expect you to remember mundane details. In addition, you'll probably be able to answer quite a few bio questions using information in the passage, so these questions are more of the reading comp type rather than bio. The discrete bio questions will be exclusively based on bio knowledge but, again, basic bio.

If you can explain every concept on the AAMC biological sciences outline for bio then you'll most likely be fine. I'll probably retake the MCAT and this is what I'm going to do, but if you are averaging at least 11 on PS and BS then it is a safe bet that your content knowledge is more than adequate for the science sections.

Your method looks great!

Just a few questions I have about it:

a. How does your post-AAMC test analysis differ from your post-secondary test and post-quiz analysis?
(Do you review ALL AAMC test questions vs. only review questions you answered WRONG from the secondary tests and quizzes)

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

b. If you only review questions that you answered wrong, how do you account for questions that you may have only gotten right by chance/with a lucky guess?

I would have realized this on the AAMCs, as I went over every single question afterward. As for the secondary sources, I frequently marked questions that I wasn't sure about and checked them afterward (along with all the questions I got wrong.

c. I know that you mentioned all material sources/companies are effective, but which did you find prepared you best for the actual MCAT?

Aside from the AAMC tests, I found the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook rather useful. Also, EK 101 Verbal for VR practice.

However, I used many sources. And while we can debate the value of each indefinitely, I believe the most important factor behind any test material is how much work you put in to smoothing out your own weaknesses and understanding all the concepts.

d. Could you provide further clarification about your quiz days (in regard to: does the day involve just one round of PS, VR, BS then review or do you do multiple rounds of PS, VR, and BS then review)?

You should do 3 hours of work in 1-hour blocks, with 10-minute breaks in-between. The subjects are up to you. I frequently went PS-VR-PS because I needed to work on my PS more than my BS. Sometimes I went PS-VR-BS. Or I mixed it up and picked subjects at random (roll a die or pick a card from a deck....)

Looking forward to hearing your replies and to seeing the rest of your guide!
Thanks!

TY and Good Luck!:thumbup:

Hey Spinach Dip,

I'm taking my mcat April 4th, and I'm started to get a bit freaked out for a few reasons. I started studying at the beginning of January and went through all three phases of TBR physics and chem and just the first phase of bio/orgo (but studied with audio osmosis, Im a neuroscience major and always felt pretty comfortable with bio/orgo passages).

I am scoring well on AAMCs (have gotten 37-39 on my past three), but still have AAMC 10 and 11 which Ill finish by saturday. I cant decide if I should take lots of practice tests my last week (like every other day) to get into test taking mode, or if I should review content. I'm also freaking out because I am really good at bio experimental passages and I have a good understanding of the bio material, but I'm realizing now there are so many details I havent memorized. I score really well on bio passages but more because I have good intuition / good at understanding the passages than because I know everything like the back of my hand. Do you feel like the actual test is similar to the AAMC's in that sense or should I focus my time on memorizing lots of bio details? Also, do you recommend going through all old problems i've gotten wrong

So sorry about my rant!

No problem. Ranting can be a good stress reliever.

I'd like to start by saying that if you're scoring 37-39 at this point, then you have no reason to worry. You're going to do great.

But, of course, you want to push that score as high as possible and hopefully join the 40+ club.

Basically, my two main questions are 1. should i focus on lots of practice tests to get into test taking mode (would probably ease my anxiety, but my exhaust me)

It sounds like you have a little bit of testing anxiety (not that I'm trying to diagnose or anything....) So I would recommend practice tests to get used to the timing and rhythm of the real thing. If you feel they are wearing you out, do an abbreviated review afterward and spend the rest of the day relaxing.

2. should i focus on bio details or trust my experience w bio passages?

My first thought is to say "trust yourself"

My immediate second thought was to ask "what kind of scores are you getting on each section?"

You should put the majority of your effort into whatever section you are preforming the worst in. (Unless it's VR....)

3. should i focus time on reviewing all the old problems that I got wrong in TBR and AAMC exams(ive kept good track of them all!)

Thanks for your help!!

Hey! You said 2 questions! :p

AAMC: Yes. Review them.
TBR: If you have time on your hands and nothing else to do, I'd review these. Just remember that they are a secondary source, so you should always value AAMC higher.

You sound like you're in a good spot, Meredith92! Just remember to relax and focus on test day and you should score well!! :luck:

Saw that Spinach last posted and was like THE PS/BS SECTIONS ARE UP!!!

jean-claude-van-damme-dancing-o.gif

But no...

The Spinach Method

Whisper Passages to Yourself

Thank you for making this thread Spinach Dip!! I have a couple of questions about your method.
Did you whisper the questions as well or just when reading the passages?
Did you whisper when reading the PS and BS passages and/or questions?
Did you find that whispering the passage made you lose time?
Did you take notes or make short sentences while whispering the passages?

Last edited:
"To prevent this from happening again, you will write a passage on the sympathetic nervous system in your notebook, containing as many questions as you feel you need. Alternately, if you mess up a complicated question, put it in your notebook with an in-depth answer explaining why the correct answer is actually the correct answer."

When you say write a passage on the sympathetic nervous system, do you mean copy paste it from the passage that you missed? Or...?

Two quick questions...

1. Would it be possible for you (or anyone else) to post some of the links to a few of the practice exams (other than AAMC)? I am having a hard time finding some and others I can't tell if they are legitimate full exams.

2. Do you strongly recommend the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook over the EK 1001 series for quizzes or should the latter work just fine?

Last edited:
"To prevent this from happening again, you will write a passage on the sympathetic nervous system in your notebook, containing as many questions as you feel you need. Alternately, if you mess up a complicated question, put it in your notebook with an in-depth answer explaining why the correct answer is actually the correct answer."

When you say write a passage on the sympathetic nervous system, do you mean copy paste it from the passage that you missed? Or...?

I really hope not.. I tried this with a few TBR passages (copying verbatim) and it took sooooo long.. I think it might have more to do with writing your own passage in your own words that way it sticks more?

The Spinach Method

Whisper Passages to Yourself

Thank you for making this thread Spinach Dip!! I have a couple of questions about your method.
Did you whisper the questions as well or just when reading the passages?

Just the passages. However, if you have trouble understanding what all the questions are saying (especially VR questions), feel free to whisper them to yourself if it helps.

Did you whisper when reading the PS and BS passages and/or questions?

No. I never needed to.

It was a VR-only strategy.

Did you find that whispering the passage made you lose time?

I didn't lose time. In fact, I'd say I gained time through whispering passages because it helped me focus on the passages and I spent less time re-reading.

Did you take notes or make short sentences while whispering the passages?

No. Never.

starfar said:
I really hope not.. I tried this with a few TBR passages (copying verbatim) and it took sooooo long.. I think it might have more to do with writing your own passage in your own words that way it sticks more?

Either way.

You don't have to write passages verbatim--though you can do so if you find it helpful. Everyone has their own style.

If a passage was long, I would generally abbreviate it to only what was needed to answer the questions. The important thing is to UNDERSTAND why you got the questions wrong in the first place! That way, you won't get a question on the same topic wrong on the real test.

Hi SD,

Stats:
3.6 sGPA
3.85 Cum GPA

Never took the MCAT, or a practice test, or even looked into prepping for the MCAT until yesterday, time is right now. I am 3 years removed from any type of science and I need to literally start from ground zero in MCAT prep, what to buy, course or no course, where to start.

Thanks!

Hi Spinach Dip,
Thanks for all the tips! You recommend writing down equations before the PS section, which sounds like really good advice. But I also have some things I have trouble remembering for organic chemistry, so I was wondering if it's possible to write stuff down for the BS section at the beginning of the test too or if they take away your scratch paper between sections. Haven't taken the MCAT before and I can't find details about scratch paper in MCAT Essentials.

Hello Spinach,

I should start off by saying that this guide has given me much needed hope, especially in the environment SDN creates.

I have a a few questions about your guide:

Is this plausible for me, starting about a week ago, while I am in school? That is, I get done around may 20th. Can I do weeks 2-5 or so during the spring semester.

Where do you get all of this material? It seems like it may cost quite a bit - to obtain 15 secondary tests, as well as review material that has quizzes.

And are there any bundles I should know about for test material?

Thanks,
Fiz

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry for being away for a while, but I have been busy with things beyond my control. (As fellow pre-meds, I'm sure you can relate. -_- )

Hi SD,

Stats:
3.6 sGPA
3.85 Cum GPA

Never took the MCAT, or a practice test, or even looked into prepping for the MCAT until yesterday, time is right now. I am 3 years removed from any type of science and I need to literally start from ground zero in MCAT prep, what to buy, course or no course, where to start.

Thanks!

Okay, the first question I want to ask is: How much do you remember of your basic science classes? Most students forget a lot in 3 years, but some people have an excellent memory.

Second, are you the kind of person who learns better in a lecture/classroom environment? Or are you successful at studying by yourself? If you are better in a classroom (and can afford it), a class might be helpful.

You can start one of 2 ways IMO: either by taking AAMC #3 to see where you stand, or with some content review to refresh the basic material in your mind before taking practice tests.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but every person and situation is different. If you could give more details, perhaps I could give some more specific advice.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Hi Spinach Dip,
Thanks for all the tips! You recommend writing down equations before the PS section, which sounds like really good advice. But I also have some things I have trouble remembering for organic chemistry, so I was wondering if it's possible to write stuff down for the BS section at the beginning of the test too or if they take away your scratch paper between sections. Haven't taken the MCAT before and I can't find details about scratch paper in MCAT Essentials.

Sure. You could do that.

Individual testing centers may have different rules, but I haven't heard about collecting scratch paper between sections.

Hello Spinach,

I should start off by saying that this guide has given me much needed hope, especially in the environment SDN creates.

Thanks! I'm glad to be of assistance.

Is this plausible for me, starting about a week ago, while I am in school? That is, I get done around may 20th. Can I do weeks 2-5 or so during the spring semester.

Sure.

The schedule I posted is not set in stone. You can adjust it to fit your own schedule if you need to.

Although, I wonder how many credits you are taking? You want to be cautious of burnout, which could happen if you are doing too much at once.

Where do you get all of this material? It seems like it may cost quite a bit - to obtain 15 secondary tests, as well as review material that has quizzes.

And are there any bundles I should know about for test material?

Check your local and university libraries. Look for used copies on ebay and amazon.

I got the majority of my test materials from libraries, so I actually spent very little on what I used.

Thank you for this guide!

Just checking in, I will be using a similar plan as the one you outlined. I'm about ~9weeks out from my test date and took my first FL. Got a 29 on Kaplan FL #7. I think this style of prep fits me well and I am excited to get working.

Thanks so much for this schedule! I had already added SN2ed's schedule to my iCal but it is much more extensive and almost overwhelming although I really wanted to try it. Your schedule makes me excited and makes me want to start studying for the exam! LOL.

How old can the materials be? i.e.; 2008 and on?? or 2010 and on ???

I took your advice and went to the library today and i found some Kaplan, Arco & Barrons books. They range from like 2004-2008. I was basically going to use them for quizzes and secondary tests. I also just purchased the 2012 TPRH Verbal and plan to get another Arco book as well as 101 Verbal from EK.

I may get some books for content review as well. What do you think of using textbooks for review? Should that be used in addition to an actual MCAT content review book? Or can I use just that?

Thanks in advance

D

Thanks so much for this schedule! I had already added SN2ed's schedule to my iCal but it is much more extensive and almost overwhelming although I really wanted to try it. Your schedule makes me excited and makes me want to start studying for the exam! LOL.

How old can the materials be? i.e.; 2008 and on?? or 2010 and on ???

I took your advice and went to the library today and i found some Kaplan, Arco & Barrons books. They range from like 2004-2008. I was basically going to use them for quizzes and secondary tests. I also just purchased the 2012 TPRH Verbal and plan to get another Arco book as well as 101 Verbal from EK.

I may get some books for content review as well. What do you think of using textbooks for review? Should that be used in addition to an actual MCAT content review book? Or can I use just that?

Thanks in advance

D

I haven't tried sn2ed's schedule personally, but this method is definitely not light on time commitment. Doing an FL or a quiz, along with good analysis of it, almost each day is not easy. No matter what method you use, you really get out what you give in it seems.

I haven't tried sn2ed's schedule personally, but this method is definitely not light on time commitment. Doing an FL or a quiz, along with good analysis of it, almost each day is not easy. No matter what method you use, you really get out what you give in it seems.

Its not. To make my statement clearer, with this method i feel that i can still be sane at the end of it. With SN2ed's schedule it seems like a lot of back and forth with a lot of different materials. Spinach has different materials as well but this just seems a doable schedule for me. The only difference is that i may go more in depth with content review when doing analysis or on the weekends.

Its not. To make my statement clearer, with this method i feel that i can still be sane at the end of it. With SN2ed's schedule it seems like a lot of back and forth with a lot of different materials. Spinach has different materials as well but this just seems a doable schedule for me. The only difference is that i may go more in depth with content review when doing analysis or on the weekends.

I feel like Spinach method is for post-content review.

If you notice, he still made a 30 on his first MCAT.

I mean, to each its own. But what he said was:

Spinach Dip said:
Let’s get the most obvious question out of the way first:
30 (9,9,12) on 20 Nov 2012, using a paper copy of AAMC #1
40 (14,11,15) on 26 Jan 2013, on the actual test

Which i am assuming that he only took the MCAT one time and that AAMC#1 was like his "diagnostic test".

But as i stated, when i use this method i will be doing much more content review I think if you approach this method the right way, it can work. Quality not Quantity.

Oh yeah I totally agree. I definitely like the focus on problems and not jumping around btwn materials.

Yeah I can agree with that, but its also a different type of approach I think. You review/learn content as you do problems and analyze, based on how they are specifically presented and tested in the MCAT format. Personally I did about ~2-3 weeks of content review prior to starting this method.

Oh yeah I totally agree. I definitely like the focus on problems and not jumping around btwn materials.

Yeah I can agree with that, but its also a different type of approach I think. You review/learn content as you do problems and analyze, based on how they are specifically presented and tested in the MCAT format. Personally I did about ~2-3 weeks of content review prior to starting this method.

I will probably be doing the same.

Although while studying for MCAT i will probably be taking Orgo II and Physics II. I wonder if that would be conflicting as far as time is concerned.

I will probably be doing the same.

Although while studying for MCAT i will probably be taking Orgo II and Physics II. I wonder if that would be conflicting as far as time is concerned.

It may take some time away from your MCAT studying, but at least they're subjects that are tested on the MCAT! You could maybe try to fit the class work into your MCAT schedule somehow. I am currently taking Physics II while studying for the MCAT, and also doing quite a bit of volunteer work. It can be done but you need to be smart about planning your schedule I've found.