How important are pre req grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshineandstress

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a pretty average gpa for DO schools: cumulative: 3.51, science: 3.36, but most of my prereqs just barely make it. I used easy science courses to inflate my gpa. If I do decently well on mcat (510+) will I still be competitive? Or do my poor grades in pre reqs keep me from being considered? I think I have above average extracurriculars, and am a double major in bio and English.

I show an upward trend by year but not semester
freshman: 3.34
sophomore: 3.48
junior: 3.6

Here's my grade breakdown:
bio: 3.0
biochem: 3.7
inorganic chem: 2.56
organic chem: 2.63 (after retaking orgo 1)
physics: 2.35

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a pretty average gpa for DO schools: cumulative: 3.51, science: 3.36, but most of my prereqs just barely make it. I used easy science courses to inflate my gpa. If I do decently well on mcat (510+) will I still be competitive? Or do my poor grades in pre reqs keep me from being considered? I think I have above average extracurriculars, and am a double major in bio and English.

I show an upward trend by year but not semester
freshman: 3.34
sophomore: 3.48
junior: 3.6

Here's my grade breakdown:
bio: 3.0
biochem: 3.7
inorganic chem: 2.56
organic chem: 2.63 (after retaking orgo 1)
physics: 2.35
It looks like you have an upward trend to me. What types of easy science courses have you been taking?

Overall grades out weigh pre-req grades, because that is what lands you the interview and the upward trend lands the acceptance. You're fine.

It looks like you have an upward trend to me. What types of easy science courses have you been taking?

environmental science, food science, speech and hearing science, astronomy, kinesiology, bioinspiration. They're mostly intro classes though