How important are science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TehTeddy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently had a discussion with pre-health advising regarding LORs. So far I have a committee letter, lab PI letter, and one non-science faculty.
Technically this fulfills the requirement for almost all schools, but I was told that not having any science letters would look bad. The issue is that my science classes were all huge, and the professors barely knew who I was, even though I did well. It's often said here that if someone can't write a strong letter, don't include it. I'm worried that any science letter at this point would be just ok. Should I go ahead asking anyway? Getting conflicted information.

Edit: Woops, realized I should have posted in the main LOR thread. If someone can merge this one it would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does this fulfill the requirement at most schools? Most schools that I've seen require 2 science/1 non-science LOR. If you're sure the schools you're applying to don't require 2 science LORs then it shouldn't be a problem. While it might be seen negatively, it probably won't be enough to sink your application anywhere, especially if your current LORs are strong.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Its a non-issue. OP is using a Committee letter; all additional letters are extra. Indeed those apparent individual letters should be part of the committee letter and not extra reading for the adcom.
Ok that's good - I was told that the committee letter is a more of a coverletter for the others, and that adcoms want to see science letters.
I don't want to look suspicious by omitting them, but I don't want to submit lukewarm letters either.