How important is it to have a LOR from a DO??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bretonnia

Studley Man
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my applications are in and all, and have been for some time, and I keep wondering if I should spend the time to get a LOR from a DO. I already have a great letter from an MD with whom I previously worked with.

I have visited some osteopathic schools and asked them this question; universally, they all pretty much told me that "while we prefer a DO, MD is fine." I'm sure that's the case, but there's a reason why they prefer DO, and I'm worried about any bias as a result.

Am I just overthinking this, or should I really not worry??

If I do end up getting a DO letter, should I submit it to my pre-health office (who would then have to resubmit their packet of letters), the DO schools which I'm applying to . . . what???

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So, my applications are in and all, and have been for some time, and I keep wondering if I should spend the time to get a LOR from a DO. I already have a great letter from an MD with whom I previously worked with.

I have visited some osteopathic schools and asked them this question; universally, they all pretty much told me that "while we prefer a DO, MD is fine." I'm sure that's the case, but there's a reason why they prefer DO, and I'm worried about any bias as a result.

Am I just overthinking this, or should I really not worry??

If I do end up getting a DO letter, should I submit it to my pre-health office (who would then have to resubmit their packet of letters), the DO schools which I'm applying to . . . what???

Thoughts?

I'm in the same situation as you. I have a really great LOR from an MD but not from a DO. All the DO students I've talked too said its better to have one so I'm still trying my best to get one. I also think it depends how good your stats are and your reason why you chose osteopathic medicine. I'm pretty sure Adcom just wants to make sure that the student truly understands and wants to be a DO.

It's better to have one than to not have one. Ultimately, it is a small aspect of your overall application. If you have a MD letter, than just go with that. At this point of the cycle, it's not particularly meaningful in delaying your application/secondary application by waiting around for a DO letter that probably won't end up being stellar.

Don't apply to the schools that only accept a DO LOR.