How Important is physics II for the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking the MCAT during the second semester of my junior year. The only problem is, I would be taking the MCAT the same time I would be taking physics II. I have the option to take summer classes this summer which would mean I would finish all my pre reqs before taking the MCAT however, it's really expensive. Is physics II really necessary for the MCAT? Or can I just get away with taking the MCAT while taking physics II?

Members don't see this ad.

Physics II is required. Get the AAMC guide on what's on the test as it lists every topic that is open season. You'll see a lot of Physics II on it.

I'm in the same boat as you..taking the MCAT before Physics II. I'm not feeling too worried about it (maybe I should be) b/c Physics only takes up 25% of the Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT. And it seems like if you can learn the basics of Phys II (AAMC's guidelines you'll be fine). FYI I'm using NOVA and Khan to prep for Physics II.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on whether you're taking the MCAT at the beginning of the summer or near the end. Knowledge of circuits and electrostatics is very helpful for the MCAT because that's all enzymes are - electrostatic effects. The body also works on a similar principle - i.e. the membrane potential.

Did you have good high school physics? That is the biggest question for you. If you had good exposure to the material, then getting a detailed MCAT prep book should work well. In all honesty, most college physics courses rely so much on math that you don't get a lot of MCAT-applicability out of them. You get exposure to the concepts and material, which is helpful, but even with a good physics class you will still be developing the ability to answer conceptual questions.

If you've never seen the material before (did not take high school physics), then it would not be a good idea to try to learn the material from scratch while preparing for the MCAT.