How important is physics to doing well on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out if I must take both physics (1 and 2) before the MCAT or if I could get away with only taking physics 1 and then take 2 later; is there a lot of physics on MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Arguably semester 2 is more useful for the MCAT than semester 1. Take both semesters of before the mcat

Reactions: 1 user
agreed with gonnif and greenduck. Although physics questions are less in MCAT but still you could loose few percentile points which could be crucial in the final outcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
n=1. I realize I am likely the exception.

However:
I didn’t study even an hour for physics. I quickly skimmed the formula sheet on the way out the door on test day. Made a 130 in C/P.

For context, my practices were in the 127s.

Do with that what you will.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
n=1. I realize I am likely the exception.

However:
I didn’t study even an hour for physics. I quickly skimmed the formula sheet on the way out the door on test day. Made a 130 in C/P.

For context, my practices were in the 127s.

Do with that what you will.

did you have a physics heavy MCAT? Because my MCAT was VERY physics heavy, and I could not have gotten away with that. OP, I recommend you take both semesters before the MCAT

some people say their exams were physics heavy, some say they only got 1 passage at most. At the end of the day, it comes to luck. If you don't decide to take 2 semesters of physics, you better be darn sure your Chemistry is on point to make up for it lol. I haven't taken the real MCAT but from what I've seen in FL's so far, there has been a mixture of everything from Kinematics to Optics

I'm studying for it rn and taking in August w/o taking Physics 2 because of scheduling conflicts at my school. Decided to take biochem over it which was the greatest decision ever (ty to sdn for recommending that lol). Physics 2 is def not necessary because the amount of detail for physics on the MCAT pales in comparison to your UG course but it would've made life a whole easier if i was able to take the course.

I had a very physics-light test. Would still recommend taking both classes first.

Just trying to figure out if I must take both physics (1 and 2) before the MCAT or if I could get away with only taking physics 1 and then take 2 later; is there a lot of physics on MCAT?
The MCAT is as much an assessment of judgement as it is of competence. Why would you take a high stakes, career deciding exam when you're ill-prepared for it?

Take it, I tried taking it before physics 2... and half my exam was physics 2. My C/P FL average was 130 and dropped to a 127 on test day