How important is research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS.230

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, like the title says, just how important is research before applying?

I am a non-traditional student and about 1 year away from finishing my pre-reqs. My sGPA is around 3.7, cGPA around 3.2, haven't taken the MCATS yet, currently a volunteer at a hospital through a program called Clinical Care Extender, getting a good amount of direct-patient contact. Working my way trying to get a DO to shadow for a LOR.

I just can't seem to get any research opportunities, since I am a non-traditional student, it is definitely harder to find a professor who will give me the opportunity over any undergraduate student at the college.

Just how important is research? I know its not "necessary" but if I kept going at the pace I am with volunteering and shadowing, would my applications be strong enough? I have some other non-science related ECs, worked at a Fortune Global 500 company for 2 years, been on a hip-hop collegiate dance team for 3 years, fraternity for 2 years (i know its not much but thought i would add it as an EC).

Trying to find other EC's along with my hospital volunteering while I finish up my pre-reqs...

Thanks in advance for your replies!~

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-traditional student and about 1 year away from finishing my pre-reqs. My sGPA is around 3.7, cGPA around 3.2, haven't taken the MCATS yet, currently a volunteer at a hospital through a program called Clinical Care Extender, getting a good amount of direct-patient contact. Working my way trying to get a DO to shadow for a LOR.

I just can't seem to get any research opportunities, since I am a non-traditional student, it is definitely harder to find a professor who will give me the opportunity over any undergraduate student at the college.

Just how important is research? I know its not "necessary" but if I kept going at the pace I am with volunteering and shadowing, would my applications be strong enough? I have some other non-science related ECs, worked at a Fortune Global 500 company for 2 years, been on a hip-hop collegiate dance team for 3 years, fraternity for 2 years (i know its not much but thought i would add it as an EC).

Trying to find other EC's along with my hospital volunteering while I finish up my pre-reqs...

Not very. Better use of that time is studying for your "MCATS"

About as important as the WS.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not important for us. Stanford, maybe.

whew that's a relief... thanks guys, now I won't stress too much about not being able to find a research opp even though I will continue to try...

And I shall be more focused on the "MCAT" :D

What do you mean by WS MedPR?

WS = writing sample

Research is never a bad thing, but far less important to most DO programs than finding an osteopathic physician to shadow. Try asking around through personal connections, like a friend or family member who is involved in medicine / nursing / research if they know a local DO who you could ask. It isn't just a matter of getting a LOR (although many programs require a DO letter) but a lot of interviewers will ask about your experience observing DO physicians. It's nice to not have to "fluff" your answer. Plus you may get to see some cool stuff.

What do you mean by WS MedPR?

WS = Writing Sample on the MCAT, but I was being facetious (kind of).

Research isn't very important unless you're applying to research heavy schools (e.g top tier MD schools). I don't think DO schools care about research, and while many applicants have some research experience, I don't think it'll break you if you don't have any. Again, unless you're applying to top tier schools.

My sGPA is around 3.7, cGPA around 3.2, haven't taken the MCATS yet, currently a volunteer at a hospital through a program called Clinical Care Extender, getting a good amount of direct-patient contact. Working my way trying to get a DO to shadow for a LOR.

If you're a CCE at Hoag, and if they still have Gamma Knife as a department you can rotate through, I would recommend it (personally I think Gamma Knife is one of the best kept secrets of the program). Dr. Duma has helped a few CCEs who showed sincere interest and were assertive find research opportunities.

im sort of a non trad in the sense that I've been out of school for a little over a year and I know how impossible it can be to get a research gig. I had one lined up at moffit cancer center which ended up falling through when they decide regulations wouldn't allow me. I gave up on research after that annoying experience lol. I have zero hours of research and I've gotten 3 interviews so far

thank you all for the helpful information, and no I am not a CCE at Hoag, I am at the Queen of the Valley Campus. I'm really liking it and all the nurses are super nice there. I would recommend it for anyone whose looking for some direct patient contact :)

Another reason I wound up focusing on DO applications.

I tried to get inroads at a soybean research program on campus last year but they either picked someone else for the job or the guy chose not to fill it (I was told the latter was possible). The next opportunity I waited too long for... studying drug pharmacology on rats. I missed that one because I waited half a semester to try to get in. Still regret it. The professor still ended up writing me a letter though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyones pretty much covered it. You can get into DO without having research.

I want to point out though, research is a good way to get close to a professor for a strong LOR. Both my science LORs will be coming from professors I've conducted research with. Just something to keep in mind.

So where exactly would one find research opportunities, anyway? I wouldn't know where to begin to look.

So where exactly would one find research opportunities, anyway? I wouldn't know where to begin to look.

Are you in school now? If you are...

My development prof invited me to join her lab. Which was super awesome and lucky. Some other friends of mine got in by just kinda showing up at random offices with their resume and saying that wanted to be lab assistants.

If you are in school, talk to the students in your classes...they might be able to put in a good word for you. I did that for a couple friends and they are in grad school now. One of my friends goes to a larger U and she read up on the professors on her department (microbio) and sent them her resume and a letter expressing interest in the professor's work.

Hope that helps.

What about being a research associate through a RA program in a hospital..does that count as "research" or does it have to be like lab research?

What about being a research associate through a RA program in a hospital..does that count as "research" or does it have to be like lab research?

Research is research! if you are investigating something and trying to produce results and prove a hypothesis..then it is research. If you are compiling data and analyzing the results from clinical data, you are doing research.

Finding research is easier than most people think. You don't have to work in a cutting edge lab and work on a potentially groundbreaking investigation. I volunteered at a hospital and noticed some data that the doctor I was working under had and just did some analysis on it and came up with a couple poster presentations and a publication. You can milk pubs out of things, which is what a ton of people do.

Are you in school now? If you are...

My development prof invited me to join her lab. Which was super awesome and lucky. Some other friends of mine got in by just kinda showing up at random offices with their resume and saying that wanted to be lab assistants.

If you are in school, talk to the students in your classes...they might be able to put in a good word for you. I did that for a couple friends and they are in grad school now. One of my friends goes to a larger U and she read up on the professors on her department (microbio) and sent them her resume and a letter expressing interest in the professor's work.

Hope that helps.

+1. I went through the Cell Biology and Biochemistry departments research faculty list and emailed all the people who's research was interesting. Got a couple emails back. Went into to talk to them and even though I had no prior experience, they saw that I was willing to put in time, they gave me a chance to start on a project. That was a year and a half ago. I've presented 4 posters throughout the state and have 2 publications coming in the spring.

Research is good, but if you don't have any, you should focus more on community service and clinical experience. Most DO schools aren't exactly research powerhouses, but if you do have significant exposure then it is appealing for them. But if "research" comes up, don't talk about the experiments you did in biochemistry lab as research experience.

As for finding research, just email a lab professor. Most of them are happy to have undergrads, because they are free and can wash dishes for the lab.

Very few people actually enjoy research, mostly because it is riddled with failure. Tedious failure.

Research is good, but if you don't have any, you should focus more on community service and clinical experience. Most DO schools aren't exactly research powerhouses, but if you do have significant exposure then it is appealing for them. But if "research" comes up, don't talk about the experiments you did in biochemistry lab as research experience.

As for finding research, just email a lab professor. Most of them are happy to have undergrads, because they are free and can wash dishes for the lab.

Very few people actually enjoy research, mostly because it is riddled with failure. Tedious failure.

I agree. Don't go into research looking to cure cancer or other groundbreaking work. You'll be disappointed.

My first research experience was dry and tedious work. The work I'm doing right now is a lot more interesting and something I enjoy. Behavioral research is fun at most times. Plus presenting your work in conferences is fun and good exposure.

I agree. Don't go into research looking to cure cancer or other groundbreaking work. You'll be disappointed.

My first research experience was dry and tedious work. The work I'm doing right now is a lot more interesting and something I enjoy. Behavioral research is fun at most times. Plus presenting your work in conferences is fun and good exposure.

I did research on spatial memory development. It was a ton of fun mostly because my lab buddies were fellow nerds like me. We presented a poster together and we had a blast 75% of the time ... the other 25% were times we had bitchy subjects. Research is fun!