How important is Spanish for CA pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrbanYogini

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a California Resident, Nontraditional, URM, Pre-Med.... planning my courses for summer and fall.

How essential is Spanish for Medical School? Especially for Medical School in California?

Several CA Schools from UC Riverside, to UCLA to Stanford all say Spanish is suggested...

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Even if it’s not required or “recommended”, learning spanish would really really benefit you as a future physician in a state with a high Latinx population. From my volunteer experience in SoCal, it’s extremely helpful! Also, it can help make you a more desirable employee :)

Reactions: 2 users
Also think of Spanish as a gateway drug to French and Portuguese, useful for Creole speakers from various places.

I speak Spanish because I am from San Antonio and it's incredibly useful for clinicians (though I am currently a pathology resident ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
I am a California Resident, Nontraditional, URM, Pre-Med.... planning my courses for summer and fall.

How essential is Spanish for Medical School? Especially for Medical School in California?

Several CA Schools from UC Riverside, to UCLA to Stanford all say Spanish is suggested...

Thoughts?
When I see a med school suggest that you take something, I strongly recommend that you do so.

Reactions: 1 user