How important is the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took my GRE and my scores were:

Verbal: 147 (32%)
Quantitative: 157 (77%)
Analytical: 3.5
Old Overall Score: 1140

My science GPA is a 3.3 and I have 70 science hours. The minimum is well below that. I have five years of health care experience.

I know that every school is different, but for the Texas schools... How in depth do they look at the individual scores? Should I retake the GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what type of grad school you are trying to do. 1140 would be a real good score for NP or CRNA school. IDK about PA

If you are trying to go to CRNA school then you may still have a problem because of the GPA. Schools now are so competitive. Remember you are competing agaist people with higher GPA's and better GRE scores. Some people will already have advanced degrees or graduate classes under their belt. What are you going to do to stand out beyond those candidates? Are you certified in your clinical area? Have you shadowed? Volunteered? What can you tell me about the profession? Do you know the president of the organization? How is your science GPA? This is only the tip of the iceburg.....ARE YOU READY FOR THE NEXT LEVEL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how competitive your program is. 1140 may be just fine for some NP or CRNA programs. However, more competitive NP/CRNA programs will not view that score as particularly strong. If you're considering the latter type of program, you might want to think about what you can do to improve your application. Plus, since your GPA isn't really great either, I'd consider retaking the gre.

you didn't specify pa, np, crna, etc as your goal.
for pa it varies by program. some don't require it, others just want you to take it, and others want a great score. The more hours and higher quality hce you have, the less important your gre score is as a factor for admission at many schools. if you are a medic/rn/rt with 5+ yrs of experience and a good gpa, the gre is basically to fill a requirement; yup, you took it. check.