How Important is the Writing Sample Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoGoPandaBot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was expecting very bad scores, but ended up doing quite alright in the end. But I have a few questions.

1) What is this "form" question people keep talking about, and how relevant is it to the score you received?

2) I got a 12 VR, 10 PS, 12 BS, and an S on the writing, for a 34S. How much does an "S" help the overall impression on school admissions? It's like 97th% for the WSample and these total scores were listed as 90-92% overall.

3) How far up the scale should I apply if Im a CA state resident, 3.5 gpa from Berkeley, 4.0 in post bacc, and non traditional. Oh, also Asian, which I hear makes it harder.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ive seen plenty of people saying it is irrelevant when they did poorly - is it a boost if you did well? Or do you just disregard it completely? Seems an odd thing to do.

Form is the MCAT form (like AR, CR and so on...) - not really important.
WS score will definitely set you apart from a candidate with a similar score but with a P instead of S.

I think it can be a boost if you did well. Also if you didn't get a great grade in one of your writing classes in college or whatever, the good writing score just helps.

Your MCAT score is great. Congrats to you! :luck: