How important is the Writing Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

todds

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a poor mark in WS take away from a good application?

I got a 30L this time around in August. Im going to pay the $50 for a hand score because I cannot believe I got this. I am a good essay writer. I have a 3.87 GPA and am a Canadian Applicant.

any advice will help

Members don't see this ad.

I just posted with this same situation, however, your GPA is slightly higher and my written was slightly higher.
As you said, any suggestions would be of great help.

it could be well writtenbut did you complete the prompt fully and properly? A Mediocre grasp of the English language can trump excellent writing skills if you make sure to answer the prompt.

I hate to say this but I think a lot of your writing score has to do with your handwriting. Is yours poor? Or maybe you took the CBT and this comment is totally irrelevant.

I hate to say this but I think a lot of your writing score has to do with your handwriting. Is yours poor? Or maybe you took the CBT and this comment is totally irrelevant.

I don't think this is true...I have HORRENDOUS handwriting...barely even legible...looks like a second-grader practicing their cursive for the first time...and I still got a very good writing score. I was bracing myself for a bad one, based on this bad handwriting rumor, but it turned out fine. Follow the Kaplan method for the writing section - its very useful.