How important is volunteering? I feel like I am not volunteering enough.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is intended for successful applicants. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being really important, how would your rate it? As a sophmore, I have 20 volunteer hours. And they are not consistent, e.g., not on a weekly basis. I am hearing about some premeds having 400+ hours! Our college had an admissions officer speak to us about this, and he said that MCAT and GPA are the most important components. He said both are equally important. And all that other stuff is considered only when the applicant is not strong on mcat or gpa. What do you think? How many hours are good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

You should have consistent, long-term volunteering. It doesn't need to be hospital volunteering (this just kills clinical experience and volunteering with one stone).

There is no magic number. Admissions committees usually want to see that you are capable of a long-term commitment to something, so stick with it for a couple of years. Get to know you supervisor, and you might be able to get a LOR out of it. I think volunteer experience / some sign of altruism is definitely very important to the application, not that far behind GPA and MCAT.