How important is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToPa55

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it for you guys to go to the medical school you want to? As in your dream school or a school you know where you would be happy? Would you attend a school you know will be 100% torture? (ie can't stand the facilities, the city, the teaching, or lack of teaching). Or should any of this matter, an MD is an MD whether it's from Harvard or from Boonies Med school right?

Let me know what you guys think, I'm in a similar situation.
Go to the school I know I won't be happy at, or wait it out and try again for the dream school (with much better credentials this time around of course).

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't apply to any school I wouldn't be comfortable at. I would think about my location preferences, the school's teaching style, and any other information I could gather before applying, and apply accordingly.

This has actually been discussed elsewhere, and the idea I took away from that thread is "don't cut off your nose to spite your face," or something to that effect. You've got an acceptance, and seeing as you haven't spent a considerable amount of time at "Boonies Med," it could turn out to be a lot better than you're thinking it will be now. Plus, who wants to go through the process again when they were successful in gaining admission the first time? Oh, and adcoms might not look so favorably on someone who turned down an acceptance.

But if I was in your situation, and had to decide what to do, I would still go to the school I "hated." I get my own party started; I'd make it work.

I agree with the above...I won't apply to any school tht I know I would never want to attend...but right now I have no reason to say that Ill never attend any certain school

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know where "boonies med" is, but I do agree with the notion that many people think they can never be happy at a particular place when really whether you're happy or not depends way more on personal attitude than the institution itself. I just think of it this way - while you are reapplying and repeating this arduous process for the propect of *maybe* getting into a "better" school (all schools are LCME accredited), you could be 1/4 way done with med school already...

I'm applying to 11 schools, and I would be happy going to all of them. I would be most happy going to UMD, but I'm not going to waste the money applying someplace that would make me cry every day, lol.

ToPa55 said:
How important is it for you guys to go to the medical school you want to? As in your dream school or a school you know where you would be happy? Would you attend a school you know will be 100% torture? (ie can't stand the facilities, the city, the teaching, or lack of teaching). Or should any of this matter, an MD is an MD whether it's from Harvard or from Boonies Med school right?

Go to the school I know I won't be happy at, or wait it out and try again for the dream school (with much better credentials this time around of course).

I don't get what you think is going to make one place 100% torture and another be a paradise, but think you perhaps have a skewed view of what the next 4 years will entail. As a med student you won't be spending a ton of time exploring the city -- you will develop your couple of hangouts and frequent them pretty regularly when you have time. If it has a local movie theater, gym, bar and pizza place, you're pretty much all set. The facilities are pretty much the same everywhere -- a classroom looks like a classroom, a hospital looks like a hospital, a library looks like a library. Those are the places you will spend the bulk of your time while on campus. I can't imagine the level or kind of teaching is all that different anywhere -- the courses are the same everywhere as everyone takes the same step 1 after two years. All places will have some scientists who can't teach (probably moreso at the bigger name places which put more emphasis on research), but by and large the bulk of your learning needs to come from your own study anyhow, anyplace you go. Lots of folks don't even go to class at lots of schools. Things like PBL are a judgment call as to whether you'd like that, but this is not really unique to any particular part of the rankings list, and wouldn't make a school 100% torture.
So I don't get why you think you'd be "happy" at one school versus "100% tortured" at another based on the criteria you put in your parenthetical. I think you have created some vision of med school in your head that probably isn't accurate for either place, or have decided you belong someplace based on criteria other than that mentioned in your post and are trying to justify.

Well said Law2Doc.

I wouldn’t care where I went to medical school except for the following criteria: allopathic, located in the USA, and hopefully near my family as they are getting up in age. Other than those considerations, it really doesn't matter where you go except maybe for the amount of debt you will incur over your 4 years. But in this profession, you should be able to handle any medical school debt no matter your specialty.

The OP is the same person who started another thread asking about Tulane. His situation is kind of unique because he actually went to Tulane for undergrad and grad school, and so he probably has a better idea of the school than most people.

And OP, did Tulane accept you yesterday or something? I thought you were still on their waitlist.

tacrum43 said:
The OP is the same person who started another thread asking about Tulane. His situation is kind of unique because he actually went to Tulane for undergrad and grad school, and so he probably has a better idea of the school than most people.

And OP, did Tulane accept you yesterday or something? I thought you were still on their waitlist.

Ok, then I get that the facilities might need some upgrading. But the OP knows the place well and did still decide to apply, so the 100% torture comment sounds like an even more extreme exaggeration.

ToPa55 said:

Hi there,
The medical school that you attend is not going to do much for you unless you do well. Choose the medical school where you are most comfortable and where you can excell. If you do well in your coursework, ace your boards, you can chart your course when it comes to residency.

I attended a school that wasn't ranked very highly at all. I was AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) and rocked on USMLE (all steps). In the end, I got outstanding residency interviews and matched into a great program for General Surgery. I loved my medical school (cooperative environment) and I had great classmates. Today, I am work with the admissions committee of my medical school and I am headed for a faculty position as a Vascular Surgeon.

Very little of what you accomplish is going to rely on your medical school. Loads of what you accomplish will rely on you and your performance at your medical school. Go where you are most comfortable and do well. Any LCME accredited medical school can launch a great career.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Any LCME accredited medical school can launch a great career.

njbmd :)

I don't really care about rank, or the city I live in actually, but I took some courses at the med school I'm talking about, and the facilities are run-down, and I DO NOT exaggerate when I talk about the teaching, when I say it is sub-par. What if the school you are deciding on has a chance of losing it's accredidation during the time you are there? Will that change your mind? B/c that's the reality I face. Thanks for all the helpful posts.

ToPa55 said:
I DO NOT exaggerate when I talk about the teaching, when I say it is sub-par.

How many med schools can you possibly have attended that you know what "par" is? Most basic science year courses are taught by scientists. A lot of scientists are better researchers than teachers. That holds true everywhere. I guess I'm saying you are going to likely feel "the grass is always greener" someplace else. I wouldn't be so certain. But it really doesn't matter as med school is more about self studying, not being spoon fed. If your lectures aren't good, just take the notes and go study someplace else.

Law2Doc said:
Ok, then I get that the facilities might need some upgrading. But the OP knows the place well and did still decide to apply, so the 100% torture comment sounds like an even more extreme exaggeration.

Although, if you are talking about Tulane, the school has probably changed a lot since he applied (not just facilities, but many tulane students and faculty have permanently left to join other med schools, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
star22 said:
Although, if you are talking about Tulane, the school has probably changed a lot since he applied (not just facilities, but many tulane students and faculty have permanently left to join other med schools, etc.)

You guys are absolutely right, if this were any other year, I would tell myself to shutup and just do well and get a good residency, but under the circumstances, and thanks to Katrina, doing well may not guarantee a good residency, there are just so many inherent problems with the school. With that said, I don't think it's worth 40K a year for that kind of uncertainty, do you?

i must say that i feel that im in a similar position as the OP (i just found out yesturday that OP stands for original poster!!)...

so yes i think it would be a royal pain in the ass to reapply and take the mcats over, etc. but i actually STRONGLY disagree with the people that say "its not the school, its what you make of it."

there is a HUGE difference these days between school's curriculums, not to mention location, etc. one of the schools that i have an acceptance at im almost positive that i would not be happy there. why did i apply? becasue i had heard good things about it, but personally when i went there, it just didnt vibe with me, i actually kind of hated it.

some of you may think that a "bad feeling" is not enough to base a med school choice on and maybe for some, it isnt.

but for me, ive seen many people pick an undergrad school based on reputation instead of fit, and most of them are miserable. is med school that much different than undergrad? are you so couped up in work ALL the time, that it doesnt matter where you are? my own older sister was in the same position as the OP, and finishing up her 2nd year of med school right now, she still has a lingering feeling that taking a year off and reapplying would have landed her somewhere she would have been much happier at...

only you can decide what school really matches you. not your parents, friends, people on SDN, etc. these people can point out the risk of reapplying while turning down acceptances, and yes it is a great risk. but life is a risk. and i think i would rather risk a year off, than have a lingering feeling in my mind that i didnt do everything possible to get into the school that matched me well.

ToPa55 said:
You guys are absolutely right, if this were any other year, I would tell myself to shutup and just do well and get a good residency, but under the circumstances, and thanks to Katrina, doing well may not guarantee a good residency, there are just so many inherent problems with the school. With that said, I don't think it's worth 40K a year for that kind of uncertainty, do you?

I bet the first year could be rough, but I am sure Tulane will get back on its feet. (I would think the school would want everything to return to normal ASAP and isn't the hospital up and running again? If you went to undergrad there then you probably know more about the place than most of us. Have you talked with the administration to see how things are going?

Personally, I hated my undergrad when I visited but still went there for financial aid reasons. I ended up loving it, so I personally think it may be worth a try, you never know how you'll really feel once you are part of the program. Even if the facilities are awful and you don't like the area you may have wonderful classmates that just make it all okay. When it comes down to it though, I think a positive attitude helps a lot, and if you can't get yourself to muster that up, maybe it is better to wait.

Getting into my first choice school was nice, but I could have definitely been happy at other places too. I think that for the most part, med school is what you make of it. Whether or not you go to Harvard or to a lower tiered school, you have to learn the same crap, take the same boards, etc...

Like a lot of doctors have told me: for most people, you go where you're accepted. If you're holding that acceptance letter in your hand, be grateful even if the return address isn't from your top school, because you're in a much better place than about 50% of the applicants.

freshandclean said:
but for me, ive seen many people pick an undergrad school based on reputation instead of fit, and most of them are miserable. is med school that much different than undergrad? are you so couped up in work ALL the time, that it doesnt matter where you are?
There's a HUGE difference between undergrad and medical school. It may take a few years of reflection, but most will find out that the biggest education they received in college took place outside of the classroom. You're learning as much about yourself and the person you're becoming as you do the content of your courses. Regardless of major, everyone is going through this process in their own way.

Medical school, once you get rid of all the whistles and bells, is largely about learning a trade. A noble and complicated one, but it's a trade. By the time you've received a degree and taken the MCAT, you've proven that you're capable of becoming a doctor and will do so, regardless of PBL vs. lecture, urban vs. rural, small class vs. large.

I think the more folks expect med school to be an extension of their undergraduate experience, the more potential they have for disappointment.

notdeadyet said:
There's a HUGE difference between undergrad and medical school. It may take a few years of reflection, but most will find out that the biggest education they received in college took place outside of the classroom. You're learning as much about yourself and the person you're becoming as you do the content of your courses. Regardless of major, everyone is going through this process in their own way.

Medical school, once you get rid of all the whistles and bells, is largely about learning a trade. A noble and complicated one, but it's a trade. By the time you've received a degree and taken the MCAT, you've proven that you're capable of becoming a doctor and will do so, regardless of PBL vs. lecture, urban vs. rural, small class vs. large.

I think the more folks expect med school to be an extension of their undergraduate experience, the more potential they have for disappointment.

i completely agree that you cant expect med school to be an extension of undergrad. my bad, i guess i shouldnt have said so bluntly "is med school not like undergrad" because it obviosuly isnt..

what i was trying to imply was that i think that like others say success in, and after med school do in fact fall largely on the performance of the student, and not the caliber of the school. what i guess im trying to say is that if you dont feel comfortable in a certain environment that a school provdies, then its hard to perform well. and im not talking about caliber at all, i.e. dammit i didnt get into harvard, i my state school isnt as good, i want to reapply.. im talking about, "man, i really did not get a good feeling about school X, i dont think id like 4 years there, maybe i should reapply with better credentials, and at least try to get into a school that fits me better."

i guess the reason i mentioned undergrad, was that it came down to 3 schools for me, and i ended up picking based on how "it felt" an not on prestige, etc., and ive been very happy with my choice for the most part. sorry if i didnt make any sense in this post, haha. :confused:

ToPa55 said:

If you are absolutely sure you have improved whatever it is about your application that is keeping you out of the schools you would like to go to, then I would hold out and reapply. This is assuming that you aren't holding out for simply one school, but just really don't like the one school to which you have been accepted. My very first interview was at a school that when I got there all I could think was "Oh my, if this is the only school I get into, I am reapplying." I truly thought I would be miserable there. I suppose the truth is, it is better to go wherever and become a doctor in the long run. BUT--if you think you have really bettered your application, though, I would take my chances and apply again.

ToPa55 said:
I don't really care about rank, or the city I live in actually, but I took some courses at the med school I'm talking about, and the facilities are run-down, and I DO NOT exaggerate when I talk about the teaching, when I say it is sub-par. What if the school you are deciding on has a chance of losing it's accredidation during the time you are there? Will that change your mind? B/c that's the reality I face. Thanks for all the helpful posts.

hahaha. there is no way in hell tulane will lose its accredidation. i don't know what you're smoking but its not doing you any good
-mota

tacrum43 said:

he also said:
topa55 said:
I'm gonna send in my withdrawal letter off the waitlist, hope you get in. are you waiting on any other schools? I hope Tulane isn't your 1st choice.

i thought you already withdrew? what's the deal?
-mota

freshandclean said:
what i guess im trying to say is that if you dont feel comfortable in a certain environment that a school provdies, then its hard to perform well. and im not talking about caliber at all, i.e. dammit i didnt get into harvard, i my state school isnt as good, i want to reapply.. im talking about, "man, i really did not get a good feeling about school X, i dont think id like 4 years there, maybe i should reapply with better credentials, and at least try to get into a school that fits me better."

I don't really buy the bad vibe notion of med schools -- they are far more similar than you might like to think. All consist of lecture rooms, labs and a local hospital. All teach the same courses. All will have some good profs and some lousy ones. Med school is different than college in that the impetus to do well comes from you. If you are not getting anything out of lecture, you potentially don't go to lecture. If you find you need to read a text book to do well even though everyone else reads the lecture notes, then you read that book. If you find that you study best in a coffee shop, you do all your studying in a coffee shop. You find what works and succeed. In that sense it won't matter where you go, because every city has a Starbucks. You won't have the zillion hours of free time and ability to go out someplace fun 5 evenings a week or have the weekends "off" like you did in college. The students in the applicant pool are pretty constant from school to school, and everyone finds their niche.

My algorithm is to maximize these two variables:

A) Cheapest School
B) Most Prestigious school