how important it is for img to be at img friendly program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddoc20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
my question is difficult to understand but i hope someone has answer.i recently came across few residents in pediatrics who ranked programs not based on reputation only but based on how img friendly they are? by any chance has it happened that lonely img has been neglected at high fi program but that same img could be the favortie resident at img friendly program.she may have won more awards , research, publication and would have landed in better fellowship if she had chosen img friendly program? is she discriminated even after proving herself good enough to be chosen for that program?

its not my belief but thats what i heard from few residents

please clear the matter.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think what is meant by IMG friendly is whether or not you'll get into the program in the first place. IMG friendly means "we tend to take IMGs". Once you're in, you'll be treated the same as everyone else.

thanks for replying fourthyearmed. my question is little different. there is a program from lets say iia category which has only 2 imgs taken in last 5 years. they invita an img because she has excellent scores and overall desirable candidate.but another program from lets say iib category by reputation invites this img and it has already 10 imgs in program. will she be better treated in latter program? one of my friends did not go to ann arbour MI and selected wayne state.....this is just a rough example.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were in your friend's place, I would not choose a program based on how many other IMG's it has. You only spend three years in the program with your fellow IMG's, but then you are an alumni of that program for life. So my decision would definitely be based on other factors, such as the program's reputation, the overall impression I got there during the interview, its location, etc.
There is no guarantee your friend will be the favourite resident at Wayne State, just like there's no way of knowing for sure that she would NOT have been the favourite resident at Ann Arbor.

thanks NR117
i think you are right.thanks for replying

fourthyearmed said:
I think what is meant by IMG friendly is whether or not you'll get into the program in the first place. IMG friendly means "we tend to take IMGs". Once you're in, you'll be treated the same as everyone else.

As a resident, you are treated equally but when applying to fellowship at that particular program, you may not be treated equally. Make certain the program you are interested in promotes IMG residents to fellows. A lot of programs will accept IMG's as residents but will not accept them as fellows. It's a double standard. Make sure you not only research the residency but it's affiliated fellowships as well. There isn't any point going to a program that bars it's IMG residents from becoming fellows. Even if you don't plan on subspecializing at this very moment, you want to leave your options open in the future. You never know later on if you want to subspecialize.

Go to the program that is resident friendly AND fellowship friendly.