How is a DO different from an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanragagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore and after my first semesteer i decided to give up on becoming an MD. I keep getting B's in my science courses and right now have a 3.3 GPA. I am looking i to DO schools but I do not understand the difference btw DO and MD doctors. Sure DO's go through this extra training but dont they both have the same job in the end?
And can DO's be cardiologists?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, DO's do Osteopathic Manipulative Training (OMT) but the vast majority of DO's don't use OMT in their day-to-day practice.

Yes, DO's can be Cardiologists and any other medical speciality. However, it can be tougher for them to get into competitive and/or top ranked ACGME residencies (such as Derm, Rads, Radonc, or IM at UCSF, Peds at CHOP, etc.). Since Cardiology is a fellowship though, I would imagine your IM performance would matter more than what med school you attend. Still, you would want to go to a decent IM program (which you can definitely get through DO) because it is damn hard to specialize if you go to a crappy one.

DO's pretty much perform the duties of janitors after receiving their degrees and doing their residencies in FM in Middleofnowhere, Kentucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a sophomore and after my first semesteer i decided to give up on becoming an MD. I keep getting B's in my science courses and right now have a 3.3 GPA. I am looking i to DO schools but I do not understand the difference btw DO and MD doctors. Sure DO's go through this extra training but dont they both have the same job in the end?

Here we go again...I smell troll

There is no such thing as a DO. Do you mean an OD?

DO and MD are professional equals.

Differences:
1. DO's "learn" OMT
2. DO's take the COMLEX. USMLE is optional
3. DO's have separate residencies of varying quality. Entering the MD match is an option
4. DO's have to explain to everyone and their mother what a DO is.

I can sum up my feelings in a few pictures:

azn,grades,humor,parents-793e1c05dc42040afc87861b4c0f15fe_h.jpg

48bcc8ea-6d16-4b3c-801a-121266685d3d.jpg

TROLL.jpg

Not sure if troll or not...

In case you aren't...
DOs and MDs are both physicians. DOs can specialize in everything an MD can specialize in. As someone said earlier, this could be a bit more difficult.

DOs take the COMLEX exam, and can choose to take the USMLE.
DOs also have their own residencies, and can apply for allopathic(MD) residencies as well.

DOs also learn OMM/OMT Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment/Medicine. Most DOs don't practice it often, although I have shadowed a couple of DOs, one who specializes and only does OMT, and another Family Practice Physician who uses it in practice as well.

Best of luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
DO's are better looking. FACT.

The interview is solely for visual purposes. They judge you on your physique, stride, hair, and how elegantly you can say "osteopathic philosophy" and "holistic approach".

The interview is solely for visual purposes. They judge you on your physique, stride, hair, and how elegantly you can say "osteopathic philosophy" and "holistic approach".
lol at lecom-b it was a negative if you used the word "holistic" in your description of osteopathic medicine lol

I vote for locking!

Well DOs arent real doctors.
As a med student you fullfill the role of young priest.
After 4 years you become the old priest.
Your "special classes" consist of learning all the ways to throw holy water. Finally you get to chant THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU.

Your "special classes" consist of learning all the ways to throw holy water. Finally you get to chant THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU.

:thumbup::thumbup:

My favorite response

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Wrong! This is the process Naturopathic Doctors (ND) take, since they are all about "alternative" solutions :p

And I think that if they find out you are an athiest they either exorcise you or burn you on the stake. Its a rough deal.

And I think that if they find out you are an athiest they either exorcise you or burn you on the stake. Its a rough deal.

You better stop by the statue of AT on campus every day and say your prayers or else you are destined to a life as a family practice doc. True story...

Here is a fun fact for you:

The physician that created SDN (username Lee) received his DO degree from Western.

Here is a fun fact for you:

The physician that created SDN (username Lee) received his DO degree from Western.

So that explains the pro-DO propaganda spewed on this website and forum.

I keed, I keed.

DOs are fictional creatures... kind of like unicorns.

Wow you all are the biggest bunch of self deprecating losers I have ever seen. I can tell the OP wasn't trolling and the fact all you low lifes make fun of the stereotypical views towards DOs and call OP a troll reveal your insecurities about the DO degree. Lets just face it you all are part of the 95% that use DO as an alternative route towards practicing medicine because you cannot be accepted to e MD program (the other 5% being those non-trads with a reason to stay intown with a DO program), guess what nobody cares except for yourselves. The secret shame that you all feel towards yourself oozes out of every single post that you make. MAN am I glad my grades are good because if I did have to consider DO I would hate the fact that my colleagues / peers hang their heads in shame over it.

I make this post with no malintentions. I sincerely hope all of you one day accept that your academic shortcomings can be overlooked and that you all have the chance to become excellent physicians. For future record, I would like to see you all provide genuine advice to posters instead of calling anyone who asks about what a DO is a troll (excuse them for not having researched every aspect of an obscure professional degree that hides itself behind a veil of additional training with debatable clinical significance that is, for the most part, never used like you all have, you must understand that they have no need to arm themselves with a vast array of knowledge to field the many things that their grandparents will say when they ask why they arent an MD)

Regards
Jim

Hahaha. Cool story bro. And I will get on that. Because you asked me to, I will be 100% serious from now on. :laugh:

Wow you all are the biggest bunch of self deprecating losers I have ever seen. I can tell the OP wasn't trolling and the fact all you low lifes make fun of the stereotypical views towards DOs and call OP a troll reveal your insecurities about the DO degree. Lets just face it you all are part of the 95% that use DO as an alternative route towards practicing medicine because you cannot be accepted to e MD program (the other 5% being those non-trads with a reason to stay intown with a DO program), guess what nobody cares except for yourselves. The secret shame that you all feel towards yourself oozes out of every single post that you make. MAN am I glad my grades are good because if I did have to consider DO I would hate the fact that my colleagues / peers hang their heads in shame over it.

I make this post with no malintentions. I sincerely hope all of you one day accept that your academic shortcomings can be overlooked and that you all have the chance to become excellent physicians. For future record, I would like to see you all provide genuine advice to posters instead of calling anyone who asks about what a DO is a troll (excuse them for not having researched every aspect of an obscure professional degree that hides itself behind a veil of additional training with debatable clinical significance that is, for the most part, never used like you all have, you must understand that they have no need to arm themselves with a vast array of knowledge to field the many things that their grandparents will say when they ask why they arent an MD)

Regards
Jim

Everyone deserves a second chance.

You are even worse than that ***** with the pic of herself because you think your online presence commands a sense of authority over this forum. I'll send my kid to bum**** idaho pediatrics if I'm ever driving through there, heavens knows you will need the reimbursement

You stay classy, Pre-meds. Sheesh.

Man, I wanted to get in on this action but......... it seems I am too late :D

DrEr said:

Regards
Jim

Lol, did this guy really post this? Let's break down the OP's post for you so you can understand.

tanragagirl said:
I am a sophomore and after my first semesteer i decided to give up on becoming an MD. I keep getting B's in my science courses and right now have a 3.3 GPA.

Before we even look at these sentences, let's look at the OP's post history. Oh wait, there is none. First time poster. Ok ok, not deal breaking, but suspicious. First sentence: Sophomore in college, giving up on MD. Wow, that's kind of early to be giving up on your dreams of becoming an MD. You can still salvage a low GPA since there's still two more years of college left!

Second sentence: Keep getting B's (hey, B's aren't bad!) and 3.3 GPA. A 3.3 GPA is no where NEAR danger zone for MD applicants. Yes it can be a little bit higher, but like I said, two more years of school left to get it up. At this point, the OP starts saying they want to go DO because obviously they think that DO medical school is much easier than MD medical school and those Bs in the pre-req sciences are ok right? Wrong. DO medical school is still medical school and still hard as f~ck.

Lastly, the hallmark of a troll: The obvious "can DO's be [insert specialty]?"

Face it DrEr, you got trolllolololed.

p.s. when people post troll posts in Pre-Osteo, we troll back with stupid things like janitorial degrees and OD vs DO. It's just what we do. Don't hate.

hatereagle.jpg

Originally Posted by DrEr

I make this post with no malintentions. (LOLZ!!!) I sincerely hope all of you one day accept that your academic shortcomings can be overlooked and that you all have the chance to become excellent physicians. For future record, I would like to see you all provide genuine advice to posters instead of calling anyone who asks about what a DO is a troll (excuse them for not having researched every aspect of an obscure professional degree that hides itself behind a veil of additional training with debatable clinical significance that is, for the most part, never used like you all have, you must understand that they have no need to arm themselves with a vast array of knowledge to field the many things that their grandparents will say when they ask why they arent an MD)

Regards
Jim

Ha all I really have for DrEr is...

top-hat-to-you-sir.jpg

Why you may ask? It makes me happy... that is one silly crab.

Hogwarts opened up a medical school?!?! SIGN ME UP. Where do I send my money?

Ha all I really have for DrEr is....

That dude made some hilarious threads earlier...especially the one with the doo doo. Anyone else catch that?

That dude made some hilarious threads earlier...especially the one with the doo doo. Anyone else catch that?

Yes I did. A real classic.

There isn't a concrete difference. DOs receive extra training in osteopathic manipulative medicine, but few choose to use it in practice. In order for DOs to gain license to practice in the US as full physicians, the schools had to adopt a curriculum on par with existing MD education. We also have access to the same residencies, plus a pool of our own. Our training is equivalent, if not nearly identical in most cases.

All the 'holistic philosophy' talk is just garbage. Any good doctor is going to be attentive to the patient as a whole, MD or DO.

And yes, they can become cardiologists. Do well on your boards.

Maybe I was the one that got trolled by DrEr.

sadpandaface

Can't tell which I find funnier the OP troll post, the secondary troll post or all of the follow-up posts trolling the troll. 10 points for everyone.

Can't tell which I find funnier the OP troll post, the secondary troll post or all of the follow-up posts trolling the troll. 10 points for everyone.
Can I please have more points for that sweet crab that I contributed?

Can I please have more points for that sweet crab that I contributed?

If I gave out points to everyone on this forum who has crabs......oh wait you meant the picture....:laugh:

The only difference is in the curriculum. MDs learn human anatomy, physiology, etc. during the first years, while DOs exclusively read volumes of early 1800s German chemistry text books. The stereotypes about priesthood and alchemy are a little far fetched.

The only difference is in the curriculum. MDs learn human anatomy, physiology, etc. during the first years, while DOs exclusively read volumes of early 1800s German chemistry text books. The stereotypes about priesthood and alchemy are a little far fetched.

You're obviously a troll...DO's can't read