How is a graduate degree regarded?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuesswhozBizzak

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just wandering how American schools regard the completion of a graduate degree. In some schools in Canada, grad students are evaluated in a separate group from undergrads altogether, and at others, they are granted exceptions for some poor undergrad courses/years. Overall, grad school works to your benefit over here. How are grad marks (assuming they are course based) incorporated as part of your application/GPA in the states??

~JZ

Members don't see this ad.

I know that on your AMCAS they separate graduate grades from undergrad grades, so instead of one chart with scienceGPA, nono-science, and cumulative, there are two charts.

As to how they evaluate you, that's pretty unclear. I am sure it helps, but I don't know how much. I had pretty bad undergrad grades, but I am doing a master's now, and have about a 3.8 here, but I only have had 3 interviews so far. 2 from state schools (NY), and one from Albany.
I have heard that some schools do lump grad students in a different pool than undergrads, but I don't know if it is true.