1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How is a graduate degree regarded?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GuesswhozBizzak, Nov 21, 2002.

1. GuesswhozBizzak

7+ Year Member

Hello all,

I am just wandering how American schools regard the completion of a graduate degree. In some schools in Canada, grad students are evaluated in a separate group from undergrads altogether, and at others, they are granted exceptions for some poor undergrad courses/years. Overall, grad school works to your benefit over here. How are grad marks (assuming they are course based) incorporated as part of your application/GPA in the states??

~JZ

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brownman24

brownman24 Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that on your AMCAS they separate graduate grades from undergrad grades, so instead of one chart with scienceGPA, nono-science, and cumulative, there are two charts.

As to how they evaluate you, that's pretty unclear. I am sure it helps, but I don't know how much. I had pretty bad undergrad grades, but I am doing a master's now, and have about a 3.8 here, but I only have had 3 interviews so far. 2 from state schools (NY), and one from Albany.
    I have heard that some schools do lump grad students in a different pool than undergrads, but I don't know if it is true.