How is biochem over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

two thirty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to plan out my summer. I really don't have too much going on and I am paying for my apartment lease anyway, so I was thinking I'd just stay at my college over the summer and get a job and take a class. I could still graduate on time if I didn't take anything over the summer, but getting something like biochem out of the way now would make my junior year a lot easier.

Anyway, has anyone taken it over the summer? Is it pretty difficult to keep up with the faster pace, or is it pretty easily manageable if that's all you are taking? Also, how would you compare it in difficulty to say Organic 1 or 2?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to plan out my summer. I really don't have too much going on and I am paying for my apartment lease anyway, so I was thinking I'd just stay at my college over the summer and get a job and take a class. I could still graduate on time if I didn't take anything over the summer, but getting something like biochem out of the way now would make my junior year a lot easier.

Anyway, has anyone taken it over the summer? Is it pretty difficult to keep up with the faster pace, or is it pretty easily manageable if that's all you are taking? Also, how would you compare it in difficulty to say Organic 1 or 2?

Thanks.
I am assuming you are talking about a 3-4 credit Biochem (400 level) course... If thats the case its Biochem 1.

I took biochem 1 over the spring, my friend took the same class (taught by the same head coordinator) over the summer... The material is the same, the difficulty of the class is.... well one is twice as fast as the other but, since its a summer course, its probably the only class ur taking, so you will have alot of time to devote to it.

From my personal experience, Biochem 1 was the most difficult upper level bio course I ever took. I found it to be much (MUCH) more demanding than both Orgo 1 and 2 put together.

But overall, it REALLY depends on the professor. If you have a stuck-up professor who likes to feel smart, hes going to write very difficult exams, and if you have a down-to-earn kinda guy, his exams won't be so bad (they won't be easy, but much more manageable)