How late am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed67783

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a little nervous that my apps are getting sent in too late. I submitted my primary on July 8, and I was verified August 8. So far I've managed to get 13 secondaries in (my top picks), and I'm planning to get all the rest sent by ~Sept 15 (35 total schools). How late am I in the cycle and is this going to hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

YOu'
I'm getting a little nervous that my apps are getting sent in too late. I submitted my primary on July 8, and I was verified August 8. So far I've managed to get 13 secondaries in (my top picks), and I'm planning to get all the rest sent by ~Sept 15 (35 total schools). How late am I in the cycle and is this going to hurt me?

You're not so late. Try to get as many secondaries as you can submitted by September 1st or within 2 weeks of receiving them (but better not to rush them and possibly do a poor job).

I'd try to prioritize which ones to do first (whether it's by your top school choices or when you were sent the secondaries).

Don't stress, and good luck!

Your definitely not early but your not exactly "late". However, this is all dependent on your stats (IMO). If you have a 28, 3.5 your late.....but if you have a 34, 3.8 your good. Regardless it is what it is, just do your best to get those secondaries sent out ASAP.

I am referring to allopathic schools only. You should be fine for some osteopathic schools bc they typically run on a later schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)

You definitely need your secondaries in before September 1st to be considered on time. I had most of my secondaries in the last week of July and still have not heard from most of the schools.

If this is considered late I'm in trouble too. Primary July 6, Verified Aug 8, letters uploaded Aug 19 (after repeated emails to advisor, my part was done before July and was told it would be up in a week, argh). 9 secondaries out, 4 to go this week (I do them as they come in, no more than 10 days). I was thinking I was really early but this whole process takes longer than you'd think. Hadn't heard the Sept 1 date before, gives me a new nice goal to shoot for.

Oh, and some schools don't even open up their secondary until late August (Wisconsin 8/20) This was encouraging to me...

Wow, our timing is really similar, and I have the same number of schools as you do. Some of these posts are worrying me. I didn't realize that late August/ early September was so close to late.

Wow, our timing is really similar, and I have the same number of schools as you do. Some of these posts are worrying me. I didn't realize that late August/ early September was so close to late.

Yah. I wouldnt be too worried if it wasnt for all the SDN posts... I'm not sure if it's just typical SDN-induced anxiety or if this is actually going to cost me acceptances.

Still... I expect to have about 21 apps in by Sept 1, which is more than most people apply to TOTAL, so I think it's just my obscenely long list of schools that's really worrying me haha.

Don't fret and have hope. As long as you remembered to apply broadly, you will do fine.

Lol, sometimes I don't understand this "Am I late or early" game. SDN has a tendency of making many of us neurotic. Chill. There are application deadlines and September MCATs for a reason (otherwise what would be the point?)

If it makes you feel any better, I had a friend with 3.8/32 send his primary in September, finished his last secondary in December and got accepted into Case and Ohio State.

I'm in a worse situation than you are. I took my MCAT last week and submitted yesterday. I haven't even received one secondary! LOL, I wouldn't even be considered until my MCAT scores anyway.

SDN these days :laugh:

(I do agree if you have a less than mediocre app, you should get it out earlier, but if you're average or better, you don't have much to worry about).