How likely/supportive will a residency allow international internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Equal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am interested in mastering the language, regional diseases, and the health-care structure of Southeast Asia (particularly HK or China). Do you guys know if residencies allow or are even supportive of an international internship? If so, how many months would they generally allow one to train in those programs? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Equal said:
Hey, I am interested in mastering the language, regional diseases, and the health-care structure of Southeast Asia (particularly HK or China). Do you guys know if residencies allow or are even supportive of an international internship? If so, how many months would they generally allow one to train in those programs? Thanks.

I doubt you could do an internship away from the "home" residency. The RRC (the body that acredits peds programs) requires that a high percentage of rotations be done at your primary site(s). You might be able to slip away for 1 or 2 rotations during your 3 year residency, however.

Ed

wayne state university allows international track in china and india..al least in pediatrics