How long are grades valid? (more details)

thlerry1

Dec 1, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I wanted to ask about grades and for how long they're considered by admissions. I do see that similar topics have been discussed but I wanted more details. I'm 26, and I had some crappy grades a little over 8 years ago now, and I'm getting back into the swing of things to retake those courses and keep a high GPA until it comes time to apply to med school. I wanted to know if there is a timeline when admissions won't take the grade into consideration, regardless of whether you did well or not? By the time I apply to med schools, it will have been 10 years since I got those grades.

About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
    10+ Year Member
    Gold Member
    Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    1. Non-Student
      The grades will always be put into your AMCAS GPA. Do you just mean admissions subjectively not caring? Probably an 8 year gap is plenty, keep doing great in the newly started classes!

That is probably a reasonable way to view it above. But there are two different issues that I want to clarify for other readers of the thread:

The grades are there forever and ever in terms of calculating GPA, which is done at the AMCAS level .
      However more schools are listing ages for courses counting towards prerequisite fulfillment, which is done at the indivdual school level.

Mass retaking of classes may not always be best strategy . What courses have you retaken and/or planning to retake?

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.