How long before you tell somebody you love them?

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've probably entered overthinkingville but one of the things I've had on my mind is that if I lose my virginity, would I most likely have strong feelings for the person? Like do most people feel that they are in love after losing their virginity? How do you know if you're truly in love or just have a lot of hormones from the sex?

How long do you usually date somebody before telling them you love them?

Members don't see this ad.

For me it was like 4 months. Say it when you believe it I suppose

It is probably something you will say without censoring yourself, and you may or may not mean it?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was just shy of one year when I said "I love you." I knew when I started valuing his happiness at the same level or above my own.

If you are wondering if losing your virginity will lead to feelings, and in general, I would say the answer is probably. Commonly. Not necessarily but often.

People don't necessarily feel in love after sex, but if the sex is good and you keep doing it thinking you're in love, well, every romantic relationship that's ongoing has the stage of love-feelings called "limerance." You can look this up. The longest that usually lasts is 2 years. The brain fMRIs light up like you're on crack. Literally addicted to someone. But that's romantic love, which a sexual encounter may or may not be a part of or lead to.

I wouldn't just say it, it's sort of an idealistic thing to say "say you love them when you feel it" but when did life play out like the Notebook for reals?

The poster above with when their happiness was equal to your own wasn't off the mark. It's hard to know when it's them or the hormones, 4 months is a reasonable timeframe to think you know someone beyond the superficial, I dunno.

Say it when you feel it, and you think they won't run because you said it, which is usually when they're as invested as you are. A lot of love columns I read suggest that a relationship is in its best place when you're both showing ACTIONS showing similar actual investment in the relationship. You might think you love someone, but if their actions are showing they're maybe just not as excited about this as you are, I would just watch my step.

Not overthinkingitsville at all. These are completely normal things to ponder in the experience of life.

If I remember it right, you posted something about psych in another thread.

Kudos to you. Psychs make some of the least money, but report greatest life satisfaction/happiness. Not that that's necessarily you, but having an appreciation of the inner life will serve you well, no matter what other docs may say.

Your patients will appreciate your attention to these matters too.

In some cases, soon, in other cases, after a long while. Sometimes love hits hard and fast, sometimes it's slow and comfortable. You'll know when the right time is, trust me.

It was just about at 2 months, so pretty fast but it feels right for the both of us.

I usually say it around the 4-5 month mark. I've also said it before having sex in previous relationships, so it wasn't just the hormones talking. I say it when I can no longer not say it and want them to know how I feel about them. Everyone is different though, my boyfriend said it to me one month into the relationship. We had been friends for 6 months and seeing each other for 2 months prior to making it official.