How long does it take to establish residency in NY or Philly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isradoc1983

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to establish residency in NY or Philly? I was just wondering if someone knows how long it takes or how is it done...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I meant PA

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, NY is one year as long as you live somewhere other than a dorm.

I don't know how long PA is but it's a looooong time - more than a year, and coming here for school only doesn't count, I think.

I'm pretty sure NY is very unique with their residency situation. Most states are much, much more difficult to establish residency in.

In regards to tuition in Pennsylvania, I believe PSU is the only school that gives a break for residency. If you look at their website, the 12000 difference in tuition is if you are a resident. I believe simply going to school in our state doesn't make you a resident.

yeah, NY is one year as long as you live somewhere other than a dorm.

I don't know how long PA is but it's a looooong time - more than a year, and coming here for school only doesn't count, I think.

I'm pretty sure NY is very unique with their residency situation. Most states are much, much more difficult to establish residency in.

CT is the same - you get in-state tuition rates after the first year.