rich4k

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
According to Georgetown's SMP web page, 85% eventually get accepted to med school, but only 50-60% during their SMP year. Why do you suppose that is? ie, How did these people improve their application beyond doing the SMP?

If anyone did a 1-year SMP and wasn't accepted that same app. cycle, what did you do during your year off?

Go Lance!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
According to Georgetown's SMP web page, 85% eventually get accepted to med school, but only 50-60% during their SMP year. Why do you suppose that is? ie, How did these people improve their application beyond doing the SMP?

If anyone did a 1-year SMP and wasn't accepted that same app. cycle, what did you do during your year off?

It's not a matter of improving your application beyond the program. It's the fact that after the first year of an SMP you can list your coursework and grades on your AMCAS application.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well think of it this way:

You apply to medical school with a lower than 3.6 GPA (avg accepted med student GPA) in the summer before you begin your SMP. Your applications are complete (with a listing of the courses you are going to take at your SMP without the grades). You send in grade reports during the fall when you get them. You can either 1) get invited to an interview based on the application + grades 2) get invited to an interview even before your SMP grades are in (this happened with me) 3) Get accepted after interview 4) Get put on hold after the interview because they want more grades. 5) Rejected 6) Hear from nowhere.

Many students dont get in simply because its missing a whole year of the coveted SMP grades. Your application will be the strongest after you finish this year- hence the additional 35% students that get accepted to medical school from the SMP after they finish

About the Ads

rich4k

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was confused why Georgetown would encourage you to apply the same year. Other SMPs (BU MAMS) seem to encourage you to wait until the program is over for just such a reason.

I've applied to both SMPs. The only thing worse than reapplying to med school this year would be having to apply a third time...

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well its encouraged at all SMPs because you never know- there's still a good chance you can get in. I applied before I finished my SMP and glad that I did :D

TheGalvaniFrog

Dissected & Electrocuted
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Like someone said already, on the second year you will have a entire year of SMP grades to boost your credential (that is, if you performed well in the program).

I think the people who don't get in during the SMP year probably work in research in places like NIH.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
There are also 2 year programs like BUMAMS whose first year is the SMP year, and the second year is all graduate classes to earn your masters degree (after first year- it is a certificate). Might give you something academically educational to do.

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Braluk is right - you are encouraged to apply *because* over half the class will get in.

If you apply, you have a good chance of being accepted that year. If you don't apply, you have NO chance and you guarantee you would have a float year. The only thing you really lose by applying that year (if you aren't accepted) is a few hundred dollars. That's really not much in the grand scheme of things, esp if it saves you a year of waiting.

Ah true... Congrats...:)

punkun

yeah yeah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
What about maxxing out the number of times you can reapply? I applied to med schools this year and am looking at SMP's to boost me should I need to reapply. If I am also unsuccessful in getting in while in the SMP program (after all, my UG record will be minimally different) but end up doing great in it, am I screwing myself over by having to depend on a third round of applications to the same set of schools? Do schools even take your application seriously at that point?

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Punkun,

I was a three time applicant. I didn't get any interviews the first two times, but I got 6 interviews and 3 acceptances after the SMP and my third time applying.

Obviously, a third series of applications is not preferable, but if you have a legitimate alteration of your app (like completing an SMP) the schools probably will not mind too much.

What about maxxing out the number of times you can reapply? I applied to med schools this year and am looking at SMP's to boost me should I need to reapply. If I am also unsuccessful in getting in while in the SMP program (after all, my UG record will be minimally different) but end up doing great in it, am I screwing myself over by having to depend on a third round of applications to the same set of schools? Do schools even take your application seriously at that point?

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hey, i did the georgetown smp two years ago and i still kind of wonder why they try so hard to convince everyone to apply the year of the program. true, around 60% get in that year, and that's awesome. but, i think if you are willing to wait an extra year, you'll have a better chance at a wider range of schools.

there are a handful of schools (and that number is growing) that know gu smp very well, and they know to wait until fall grades are out. however, for a lot of schools, it's pretty late in the season by the time they can see any of your progress. i have a good feeling that hurt me a lot in my case.

the year of the program, i was interviewed at 3 schools (including georgetown) and didn't get in. then, the year after, i received 9 interviews, 6 of which i attended, and ended up with 5 acceptances. i maintained pretty much the same gpa throughout the program. so, i don't believe it was my later grades that pushed me over the edge second time around. i believe it was the fact that i was able to apply and interview much earlier the year after.

in any case, for many, applying the year of the program may be a good idea. but, just don't feel pressured into applying that year if you're not ready or are willing to wait an extra year. for me, it worked out too well - had a great choice of schools, got a good job, made some money, relaxed for a year, etc. anyway, best of luck to you guys currently in the program or currently considering it. it'll make first year a breeze! (well, maybe not a breeze, but easier than normal. haha)

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
someone had asked what we did during the year off (those of us who ended up taking one).

i worked in a clinical lab in a hospital. it was a really great experience - i enjoyed it, learned a lot, and made some good connections at one of the best hospitals in the country (trying very hard to maintain those connections for the next 4 years, haha). i have no way of knowing how much of an impact it made on my app, but at 1 or 2 interviews it was almost looked down upon because, gasp, it didn't involve patient contact. anyway, that's what i did, and i wouldn't have changed it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.