How long for Step 2 scores to come back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicamedica

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this question has been asked already. . .I tried doing a search but nothing came up in answer to this question.

If I plan to take Step 2 CK (written) at the end of November, when will the score come back?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Took mine this past october, got my score in four weeks and one day. good luck.

Thanks!

If i take Step 2 at the end of November, will it be too late to help me get interviews if it's a good score?

Residency programs largely screen for interviews by your step 1 score (sorry, just the way it is). if you are not happy with your step 1 performance and are looking to improve, then i would suggest you take step 2 CK earlier than november (july, august). step 2 is an easier exam (IMHO) and people i know who studied did 10-20 points better..however, everyone knows someone who blew it as well. taking it early is not a major risk, because you can withhold your scores from the residency programs if you choose (via the electronic application service). You may be asked about this on the trail, at which point it is best to just tell 'em the truth. Most of my interviews were in dec and jan, so the programs had my score (although interview offers begin in november--at least for gen surg) by the time i interviewed. hope this helps...good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my score back in exactly 4 weeks after taking the step 2 CK.

And not everyone improves on their step 1 score BTW...my 3 digit score fell 13 points from step 1 (idgaf though :laugh: )