How long is too long??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diidy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After you receieve an interview invite, about how much time do you have to respond in order to set up an interview date? Im waiting for my LORs to roll in so it may be a couple more weeks until I can interview. DO you think it'd be alright if I waited a couple weeks before setting up the interview time. Does it look bad if I dont respond right away?

Also, does anyone know the approx percentage of those accepted after interview from Barry U? Anyone here been rejected after interview there?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who went to Barry over Scholl because other podiatry students told her it was less competitive. She was afraid she would not keep up at Scholl and ultimately never match in residency. I think this was a poor move. Most residency programs know the integrity of your school and take that into consideration. My thoughts
Fall06*

Do they just accept ANYONE? Hopefully the're not a lower end school. Are they?

Pretty much yes, they have been known to have the fastest response time for an interview invite, after submitting your apps (within 24 hrs, took them 12 hrs for me :laugh: ) Seems like they have the highest acceptance rate, which speaks for itself but I did hear the school is adding a new health center and are updating their stuff.

Does Barry ever completely fill all of their seats or do they just not have a limit?

Pretty much yes, they have been known to have the fastest response time for an interview invite, after submitting your apps (within 24 hrs, took them 12 hrs for me :laugh: ) Seems like they have the highest acceptance rate, which speaks for itself but I did hear the school is adding a new health center and are updating their stuff.

Does Barry ever completely fill all of their seats or do they just not have a limit?

i got my barry interview within the same day of applying (but tht was the day Pod applications open/Sep-7 i guess, so i guess i was the first). Byt That was ultra ultra ultra fast.

i got my barry interview within the same day of applying (but tht was the day Pod applications open/Sep-7 i guess, so i guess i was the first). Byt That was ultra ultra ultra fast.

I submitted my application yesterday and received interview invite from Barry about 6 hours later (and thats w/o LOR's & transcript yet). So even though about mid through app cycle, they're still pretty quick! I just got the Temple invite today!

Wow that is fast! Is it usually by e-mail or phone call? I didn't think it would be so quick for granting interviews 4 months into the application cycle. Are there schools which take some time to let you know about an interview?

I know someone who went to Barry over Scholl because other podiatry students told her it was less competitive. She was afraid she would not keep up at Scholl and ultimately never match in residency. I think this was a poor move. Most residency programs know the integrity of your school and take that into consideration. My thoughts
Fall06*

I have heard "not from reliable sources" that a 2.0GPA at Scholl or DMU is viewed as equilavent to a 3.0GPA at "at a less challenging school". Can and do residency programs look at your school like this? What if a student from Scholl or DMU with a 3.7GPA applies to the same residency as does a student from "the least challenging DPM schools" with a 3.7GPA?

On the flip side, I have also heard of people with less competitive GPA's getting really good residencies just because they know the right connections. Is this a common theme in residencies?

Whats your thoughts on this??

Thanks

I have heard "not from reliable sources" that a 2.0GPA at Scholl or DMU is viewed as equilavent to a 3.0GPA at "at a less challenging school". Can and do residency programs look at your school like this? What if a student from Scholl or DMU with a 3.7GPA applies to the same residency as does a student from "the least challenging DPM schools" with a 3.7GPA?

On the flip side, I have also heard of people with less competitive GPA's getting really good residencies just because they know the right connections. Is this a common theme in residencies?

Thanks

Just like in any other industry/profession who you know will get you everywhere but so can merrits.

I have not heard of residency programs comparing GPAs between candidates like that stated above.

After the externship or visit to a program, the interview (academic and social) if all else is equal they might reflect back to the GPAs and school attended.

Maybe Jonwill knows something more about this. But I think there is little known about how residents are actually chosen.

I only have 2 sources on Barry. I did not even apply there because of the first source, and for me, the second source confirmed that this was a good move.

The first source is a former student. I don't want to skew your perceptions or choice (since it is the opinion of only one student) but suffice it to say, he was not happy with his choice.

My only other source is a kid who just interviewed there a couple of months ago. He was pretty stoked to live in Florida, but after the interview, knew he would not go there.

In the end, if you think they are an option, all you can do is find out all you can and then visit the school. Your gut will tell you what to do. Good luck. :)

Thanks

I think your "not from reliable sources" are just that - not reiable. I haven't heard anything of that sort from my upperclassmen or friends at residency. What I do know, which may clarify things a little - is that you're judged as a complete package - as krabmas mentioned. You have interviews, extracurriculars, research, and externships on top of your GPA and boards. If the GPAs from 2 students from 2 separate schools are equal, the director will choose the one who impressed them the most during externships - I think your ability to display sound clinical knowledge is a testament to your school's curriculum - and ultimately, your GPA is a gage to how much you not only know, but are able to apply. At this level, it isn't so much a paper-comparison as the process shifts to more direct and practical impressions. If the program feels that a certain candidate (with high GPA) is difficult to work with, then he'll most likely not match to that program. Alot of factors to be considered for sure.

Thanks

I agree with the rest of the posters that they judge you via externships and interviews. Just as in sports there are paper tigers. They look great on paper but a poop in real life.

I have heard that programs with requirements such as GPA or class rank have taken school into consideration when accepting externs. An attending making a presentation at DMU made a comment about not applying if you had less than a 3.5, and a comment was made that would eliminate a majority of DMU applicants. She said that the 3.5 requirement did not apply to DMU students.

I agree with the rest of the posters that they judge you via externships and interviews. Just as in sports there are paper tigers. They look great on paper but a poop in real life.

I have heard that programs with requirements such as GPA or class rank have taken school into consideration when accepting externs. An attending making a presentation at DMU made a comment about not applying if you had less than a 3.5, and a comment was made that would eliminate a majority of DMU applicants. She said that the 3.5 requirement did not apply to DMU students.

Thanks for your feedback everyone:thumbup:

I think your "not from reliable sources" are just that - not reiable. I haven't heard anything of that sort from my upperclassmen or friends at residency. What I do know, which may clarify things a little - is that you're judged as a complete package - as krabmas mentioned. You have interviews, extracurriculars, research, and externships on top of your GPA and boards. If the GPAs from 2 students from 2 separate schools are equal, the director will choose the one who impressed them the most during externships - I think your ability to display sound clinical knowledge is a testament to your school's curriculum - and ultimately, your GPA is a gage to how much you not only know, but are able to apply. At this level, it isn't so much a paper-comparison as the process shifts to more direct and practical impressions. If the program feels that a certain candidate (with high GPA) is difficult to work with, then he'll most likely not match to that program. Alot of factors to be considered for sure.

Thank you for the explaination. I am glad to see that everyone is viewed the same as far as school name goes. Also, like you mentioned, I do believe that displaying "sound clinical knowlegde" should be the most important factor in obtaining the competitive residencies.

Is their a breakdown on how each individual performs on Podiatric board exam? Step 1 or Step 2? Or is it just Pass or Fail?

Again Thanks.

Thank you for the explaination. I am glad to see that everyone is viewed the same as far as school name goes. Also, like you mentioned, I do believe that displaying "sound clinical knowlegde" should be the most important factor in obtaining the competitive residencies.

Is their a breakdown on how each individual performs on Podiatric board exam? Step 1 or Step 2? Or is it just Pass or Fail?

Again Thanks.

Not every school is viewed equally. Some programs will not even take externs from certain schools. Others will not match for residency with students from from certain schools. This is not stated out right but if for the past several years a program has residents from 2 or 3 schools only then your chances of matching from a different school are not likely. possible, but not likely.

Yes the boards are pass fail but there are residency directors that sit on the National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners. They may be able to see your scores (who knows for sure?). It is best to still do your best even if it is pass fail. Both parts are pass fail.

Not every school is viewed equally. Some programs will not even take externs from certain schools. Others will not match for residency with students from from certain schools. This is not stated out right but if for the past several years a program has residents from 2 or 3 schools only then your chances of matching from a different school are not likely. possible, but not likely.

Yes the boards are pass fail but there are residency directors that sit on the National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners. They may be able to see your scores (who knows for sure?). It is best to still do your best even if it is pass fail. Both parts are pass fail.

Agreed. After being out there all year, it is pretty obvious that not all schools are viewed, or are, equal.

Thanks for the info.