How long should be the optional secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuffDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am finishing up my secondaries right now. I came across Western's secondary application, and at the very end, it says:

"
This space is provided to allow you to describe any additional information you would like the Admissions and Selection Committee to consider or aspects of your application which you think may seem confusing or incomplete as they are stated elsewhere.

You may also use this space to explain factors such as:
  1. factors that may have had a negative effect on some aspect of your academic performance,
  2. experience in dentistry,
  3. extracurricular/volunteerism/community service, and
  4. why you are applying to the Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine specifically.
Please limit your comments to one page"

I really don't have anything to say regarding my application, but I can probably answer #4. I was thinking probably 3-4 sentences on why I am applying. I also have another essay on how I am interested in serving in the underserved community based on my background. That was not included anywhere in my primary application, but I used this essay for other schools.

I also read somewhere that a member here said it is okay to just leave this blank, if you really don't have anything to say.

What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just wrote a short paragraph about why I'm applying to Western specifically. I know people have left it blank and still got accepted so don't worry too much about it

Reactions: 1 user
For my WesternU supplemental, I wrote about 3/4th of a page, but that's also because I had quite a few hiccups early on in UG.

Could you possibly tie in your passion for community service (and past experiences volunteering) into future pursuits (perhaps a plan to allocate time to reach out to underserved communities when you become a practicing dentist).

On the school websites, they usually have links specifically dedicated to missions involving community outreach. If you see a program that particularly moves you, you could then lead your supplemental into an explanation as to why WesternU would be a good fit.

Would it be okay to tie in a couple of the options into one essay or do we have to choose only one of the options they give?