How lucrative is it to be physician researcher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualcat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I have just completed a medical degree from india and all set to work towards getting a phd in neurology in a german institute( georg augustat university,goettingen if iam fortunate enough).My plan is to get into a residency in the U.S after that.Could anyone educate me on a basic pay range and job opportunities of a physician researcher in neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

virtualcat said:
hey guys,
I have just completed a medical degree from india and all set to work towards getting a phd in neurology in a german institute( georg augustat university,goettingen if iam fortunate enough).My plan is to get into a residency in the U.S after that.Could anyone educate me on a basic pay range and job opportunities of a physician researcher in neurology?

Academics are in the low 100's.

As far as industry, I really couldn't tell you.

christ! 103 people view it and only one replies :( some one help me please..I need that info..Thanks anyway fermata:)

Members don't see this ad :)
virtualcat said:
christ! 103 people view it and only one replies :( some one help me please..I need that info..Thanks anyway fermata:)

the reply was accurate - doesn't need anymore comment?

Depends what you mean by "physician researcher," since there are many ways for a physician to do research:
1. Be on faculty at a med school. Previous poster was right, ballpark salary starts probably about 100K and goes up to maybe 150K
2. Be in private practive and hook up with drug companies to do clinical trials. This can actually bring in a lot of money, plus you get whatever you make from clinical practice. Very, very variable. In neurology I guess you would range realistically speaking from 120K up to 200K+
3. Go work in the pharm or biotech industry. Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what the salaries are here, but I bet if you patent a cure for migraine or Alzheimer's you'll be the next Bill Gates. In other words, very variable but the sky's the limit.