How many 2's ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gochi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have gotten C's in math 1 and math 2, c's in bio 1 and bio 2, and a B- in psyc, and an A- in chem 1.....my question is....well first im gonna apply to NECO, ok..my question, even if I do get a-'s or a's in all my other courses (im gonna take 3/sem), and do well on the OAT, would I still have a shot ? Im from Canada by the way. I really dont want to be wasting the money, if Im not gonna be benifiting from it.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you start getting A's and A-'s from now in science classes, neco will start noticing the positive trend. They will give you credit for improving.

thanks for the reply

If I dont have a BSc, and have a ~3.2 GPA, and a slightly above OAT, are my chances fairly good ?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about that...someone else on this forum had posted that neco treats people with bs and without bs the same. THey focus on the prereps so I am not sure about your case.

of course u will! my stats are not even that great but I got into a school!

with 4 C's 1 B- and 1 A- are you sure your GPA is 3.2?

Check with the following conversion chart, and weigh each course according to credit or credit hour.
chart

Check with the following conversion chart, and weigh each course according to credit or credit hour.
chart

i'm sure he has other classes, writing, GE's, etc. that is included in that 3.2 of his.

gochi- So if you don't think you have a shot to get in with your grades then you would drop the whole optometry idea? Are you even serious about being an optometrist or is this something you think is attainableto be some type of doctor? Why I ask is that I believe that are alot of people out there not passionate for this field and just apply for that reason.

Honestly, people with lower gpa(s) can get accepted. BUt as a patient, I wouldn't be at ease going to a doctor that has Cs in alot of his/her classes. I do believe school work and grades are a good indication of one's ability.

chart

i have been loooking for this exact thing for a while... well done to you!

oh and thanks! :) I was worried about my GPA but it looks like a 3.65 with this conversion chart.

gochi- So if you don't think you have a shot to get in with your grades then you would drop the whole optometry idea? Are you even serious about being an optometrist or is this something you think is attainableto be some type of doctor? Why I ask is that I believe that are alot of people out there not passionate for this field and just apply for that reason.

Honestly, people with lower gpa(s) can get accepted. BUt as a patient, I wouldn't be at ease going to a doctor that has Cs in alot of his/her classes. I do believe school work and grades are a good indication of one's ability.

Well yea, I mean I have to do SOMETHING, in the field of Science, because that is where my interest lies. How do you even develop a passion for Optometry ? There are no OD's in my family, my friends dont know any OD's and I have talked to 2 OD'S in my whole life. My school doesnt offer and courses which expose optometry and the closest optometry school to me is 4352km away.

I think if I do shadow, I will develop a "passion", but you are right, "I see optometry as something attainable to be some type of doctor." However, I did go to my optometrtist, and I did find his job somewhat interesting in a way. The use of technology in optometry is a huge advancement which makes me want to go into optometry. Science and Technology are my two passions, if I could see to a certain degree how these two diverse fields are integrated, then I think I will develope a "passion." Also, wouldnt you develope a passion for optometry after your clinical or during your clinical years ?

Also, wouldnt you develope a passion for optometry after your clinical or during your clinical years ?

Do you really want to spend money on 3 years of optometry school, start your clinical and find out that you hate it? That's way too much money you just wasted. Besides, if you don't have a passion for it before you go for your interviews, they'll be able to see it.

hey gochi I thought you were applying to dental school. are you pre-dental or pre-optometry?

Well yea, I mean I have to do SOMETHING, in the field of Science, because that is where my interest lies. How do you even develop a passion for Optometry ? There are no OD's in my family, my friends dont know any OD's and I have talked to 2 OD'S in my whole life. My school doesnt offer and courses which expose optometry and the closest optometry school to me is 4352km away.

I think if I do shadow, I will develop a "passion", but you are right, "I see optometry as something attainable to be some type of doctor." However, I did go to my optometrtist, and I did find his job somewhat interesting in a way. The use of technology in optometry is a huge advancement which makes me want to go into optometry. Science and Technology are my two passions, if I could see to a certain degree how these two diverse fields are integrated, then I think I will develope a "passion." Also, wouldnt you develope a passion for optometry after your clinical or during your clinical years ?

Are you planning on lying to the admissions committee about why you want to go to opt. school? I hope so, because if you tell them what you said above, I don't think you'd get in. I don't like your plan of "developing a passion for optometry" a few years into it. Also, saying things like "I see optometry as something attainable to be some type of doctor" is pretty bad. Optometry sounds more like a backup plan to you than anything.

Im not going to lie or anyhting like that. The reason why I dont have a greater passion for optometry is because Im scared what the future holds for it. A new school just opened recently, and there will be more schools in the future, which will inevitably cause saturation of licensed OD's. Every profession has problems, but optometry I think will have a major problem in the future due to technology and new schools opening. I do not hate, nor do I love optometry, but I do like it. At this point, I dont dream of becoming an OD, if thats what passion is.

Im not going to lie or anyhting like that. The reason why I dont have a greater passion for optometry is because Im scared what the future holds for it. A new school just opened recently, and there will be more schools in the future, which will inevitably cause saturation of licensed OD's. Every profession has problems, but optometry I think will have a major problem in the future due to technology and new schools opening. I do not hate, nor do I love optometry, but I do like it. At this point, I dont dream of becoming an OD, if thats what passion is.

Hello gochi,

From what I understand from your previous posts is that you do not really feel confident about the future of optometry and where it's going. Also, more importantly, you do not have a passion for the profession. My personal advice for you is that you hold off on applying to optometry school until you really know that you want it. Whether it is optometry or anything else, if you go into a field that you do not love then you will spend the rest of your life doing something that you find boring. You will not love your job and that, for me, is the ultimate measuring stick of whether or not you are successful. You can make lots of money doing anything, but if you don't love what you're doing, you will be miserable. I don't know, that's just my view on things. If you do decide to do optometry, then good luck. Whatever you do though, the number one question to ask yourself is "will I love this?"

Good luck!

Yea you are right. However, I dont dislike optometry right now, nor will I ever dislike it. I do like it, but I dont know if I will ever "love" being an optometrist. What experiences enabled you guys to develope a passion for this profession ?

I havent traveld much so I have limited experiences. But, I really do like helping people and optometry offers that. So far the only major thing which attracts me not to only optometry but also other health professions is that I would be helping an individual almost everyday of my life. Ofcourse I would like to make money and also benifit my familiy and myself, but at the same time I would be helping others. But its so hard for me to see my whole carreer eventually disintegrate. If I go to school for 4 years, pay 200K, how am I suppose to pay everything back if I cant find a decent job ? And I think this will be the case for new OD's in the future...but there is a 99.9% chance I am wrong :)

I think the best thing to do is Job Shawdowing. This is going to be your profession for the rest of your life, and if you dont like what you see right now what are the chances that you will like it in the future? Your pre-req GPA's are pretty standard IMO anyways. Alot of schools, including NECO as far as I know do not look t +/-'s but just the letter grade. I would seriously consider if this is what you wanna do, if not you still have the time to figure out something that you might enjoy more. I

Hey- I didn't mean to stir such a conversation about your passion for optometry but you are right. It is hard to find that one passion. I think what I'm trying to say is that if you are planning to go into more than one profession simulatneously (dental and opt) that's a good indication that you don't know what it is you want NOW. You should wait and see. Someone said previous job shadowing is good, I agree. Ask yourself is this boring. But if you decide to apply anyways-- think up something really good about why you want to be an optometrist on your interviews. good luck.

That chart is really confusing.

I have a formula.

GPA= (Points)(Credit hours for that class) + (Points)(Credit hours for that class) + .... / (Total # Credit hours taken)

It's easier than reading that chart IMO.

i currently attend UH right now. i work for an optometrist for almost 2 years, i have over 50 hours of volunteer work, did the TEXOCOP summer program last year, and a member of the visionaries board as well as POPS. i havent taken the oat's yet. however, i feel like my downfall is that my cumulative gpa is around a 3.0. it's not that i get a lot of C's, but that i get a lot of B's. do yall think im competitive enough? any response would be greatly appreciated. thanks.