1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How many boards do you have to take?

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by Clovers, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Clovers

Clovers Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    hi everyone,

could anyone be kind enough to explain to me how many boards podiatry students have to take? i hear that medical students have to pass the USMLE part I, II, III so i was wondering if podiatry students have to take it too. the dental forum people are saying that the USMLE is wayyyy harder than their dental boards. is that true?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    There are 3 parts to the podiatric boards, same as USMLE or COMLEX.

As for difficult, I don't know. No one that I know of has taken both and therefore, it is purely speculation. I would assume that they are more difficult but b/c we only have 150 ?s, it is difficult to study that much info for so few ?s.

4. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Podiatric med students sit for part I, II, and III of the National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners (NBPME). Most then go on to sit for forefoot/rearfoot surgical board certification.

5. Clovers

Clovers Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    So the USLME doesn't apply to podiatry students? The forefoot/rearfoot surgical board certification is taken after residency right? Thanks!

6. Haffadoc

Haffadoc Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I really wish that the profession would look into taking the USMLE or Comlex part I as it would be a very beneficial thing for the profession. I feel that it would either show that we are getting as good of education as our other physician peers or not. It would also prove what schools need to step up their game comparatively across the board. The one thing that I like about the USMLE and COMLEX is that they get a score. I think that if our scores were atleast released to residency programs it would make the interview process a little bit better. Atleast it would not be a pimp fest the entire time.

If we did take the USMLE or COMLEX though we would need to have some sort of additional test to cover lower limb.

7. Podman

Podman Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    yes board certification ABPS (American Board of Podiatric Surgery) is taken after residency. It has been referenced previously that one can sit for rear-foot and reconstructive surgery board certification after completing a 3-yr podiatric surgical residency. However, you do need to complete a certain amount of procedures before sitting for the boards.

What happens right after residency is that you become "board-eligible" and you would need to complete the specified number of procedures needed before sitting for the surgical board certifications. I believe those examinations have both computerized and oral components.

8. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    While this seems like a great idea, their are many flaws. One you already mentioned lower limb. The second is that we don't cover much of the material on the USMLE or COMLEX such as OB-GYN or physcology. It would be nice if the axed NBPME and merged with USMLE creating the USMLE-Pod boards.

9. Haffadoc

Haffadoc Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That would be great but you and I both know that a few schools that will not release their NBPME scores would never be up for a different test.

10. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    100% agreed that seems to be the common roadblock when we discuss the progression and future of podiatry.

11. lafootdoc

lafootdoc Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what exactly does it mean when they say you can sit for certain residencies like foot and ankle etc?

12. dpmgrad

dpmgrad Senior Member
    Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Perhaps, I can help further clarifying what you had posted. After completion of your residency training, you will eligible to sit for the WRITTEN exam for the board certification exam. If you completed a PM&S-24 residency program, you will be eligible to sit for the ABPS Foot Surgery Exam. If you completed a PM&S-36 residency program, you will be eligibile to sit for the ABPS Foot Surgery Exam and ABPS Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery Exam. If you pass the ABPS written exam, the candidate becomes Board Qualified (of course, in the MD/DO boards, you become Board Eligible). Upon passing your written exams, you will have about 5 years to gather certain amount of cases to be presented to the ABPS. Upon acceptance of your cases by ABPS, you will then be allowed to sit for the ABPS ORAL exams for the corresponding exams (Foot Surgery and/or Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery). Once you pass the oral exam, you will become Board Certified in whatever board exam you took. Right now, only the ABPS written exam is administered on the computer. By the time you guys take the ABPS oral exam, the oral exam will also be on the computer. Right now, they are incorporate a component of the oral exam on the computer to iron out any of the bugs. Lastly, during your residency training, many programs require their residents to take the ABPS In-training exam. This exam will be taken on the computer like the regular boards and will give the resident a taste of what the regular board exams are like.

13. molldoll2010dpm

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I would totally be up for the USMLE, but it probably won't happen anytime in the near future. Maybe someday though.