How many Credit/No Credit's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpwelie34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am wondering how bad would it look if I have multiple classes on my transcript that are graded on a Credit/No Credit basis (Pass/Fail basically). I currently have two (MicroEcon and World History). I am contemplating whether or not to change my grading basis to C/NC for my Religious Studies class because my TA that is in charge of grading has been extremely biased against me and so I do not believe that even if I try really hard, I will be able to squeeze out an A.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am wondering how bad would it look if I have multiple classes on my transcript that are graded on a Credit/No Credit basis (Pass/Fail basically). I currently have two (MicroEcon and World History). I am contemplating whether or not to change my grading basis to C/NC for my Religious Studies class because my TA that is in charge of grading has been extremely biased against me and so I do not believe that even if I try really hard, I will be able to squeeze out an A.

Generally those classes are meant for you to explore classes that you wouldn't normally explore. Just don't use them for prereqs or program requirements; they're not included in your GPA so it's fine. At my school you can only have a maximum of 6 credit hours (basically a fullyear course or two halfyear courses) as credit/no credit, so most people use it. Any more than that and it might look bad.

So it having 3 classes that were S/NC on my transcript would be alright in the eyes of the interviewers? Would it matter if I am only taking three classes during this summer and not a heavy course load this summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
So it having 3 classes that were S/NC on my transcript would be alright in the eyes of the interviewers? Would it matter if I am only taking three classes during this summer and not a heavy course load this summer?

Three classes for a summer is quite a bit. That's 3 half courses, right? As in 9 credit hours? I know at my school we're limited to taking only 12 credit hours for a summer semester, so 3 is more than enough. You're not EXPECTED to take classes in the summer.

As for having 3 (I'm assuming 9 credit hours) as credit/no credit, it doesn't sound excessive. I mean in a 4-year undergrad career you'll do around 120 credit hours of coursework, so 9 doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

But don't take my word for it. Ask the schools you're applying to if you're really that worried.

They may ask you about it in the interview, but you can simply say that you were unsure if the course was going to be difficult or easy or familiar or whatever; you wanted to try it without the pressure to get outstanding grades; you were taking it to learn. There's nothing wrong with that. For example, I credit/no-credited a half-year English course, because it was the first one I had ever did. I ended up doing rather well so I ended up doing a fullyear English course later on. I also credit/no-credited a Metabolic Signalling course because I knew signal transduction pathways were something I struggled with when I took Immunology. Frustratingly, I ended up doing very well in that course too. -_____-

Does anyone else have any input as whether or not having 3 non-science classes as Satisfactory/No Credit is bad?

No they don't care, just as long as they aren't science classes