How many cycles did it take to get accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Master of Sci

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally got in. Accepted today. This is my fifth! application cycle and I finally fooled 'em and got in. Actually got into three schools. So I was wondering, how many cycles have ppl applied before successfully being accepted? Have I set a record?

Members don't see this ad.

So I finally got in. Accepted today. This is my fifth! application cycle and I finally fooled 'em and got in. Actually got into three schools. So I was wondering, how many cycles have ppl applied before successfully being accepted? Have I set a record?

you beat me! 3 cycles, 4 years but I'm finally in! 3 schools as well... determination has finally paid off!

GEEZ buddy talking about dedication!! I am happy for you!! Congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
it took FIVE years to get into dental school?!?! :O what did you do during that time and why didn't you get in? you're making me extremely nervous!!! :(

Did you guys have to rewrite personal statement?

it took FIVE years to get into dental school?!?! :O what did you do during that time and why didn't you get in? you're making me extremely nervous!!! :(

Don't make yourself overly stressed about it. It's all about picking the right school, & using your knowledge about it to your advantage.
This was my first cycle, & my interview was at a school with a PBL program. They wanted to see that you're a very interactive person...just talk with the admission secretaries while waiting, anything to make yourself seem like an interactive individual. I ended up getting accepted, and I'm not sure if that's the reason why, but I'd say it sure didn't hurt in helping.

Took me 4 cycles. I do not count the first one though because I still had a lot of pre-reqs to take. So technically 3 cycles. Interviewed 1 school post december the first year. 2 schools pre december and 1 for an alternate spot post december the second year and 5 pre december this year. Finally got in !!!

2 cycles over a 3.5 year time span.
1st cycle- 0 interviews
Went to hygiene school for two years.
2nd cycle- 6 interviews/ 2 acceptances

3 cycles over 4 years...

I don't even want to calculate the cost. To those on the path: if becoming a dentist is what you want, be prepared to sacrifice.

Yes, it was definitely a little discouraging getting rejected in the past, but I went on with life while still pursuing dental school. I worked in a lab for a year and a half, lived in New Zealand for a year, and have been in a Master's program for the last year and a half while doing research and TAing.

Took me two cycles, but I also didn't apply my senior year of college. Got 1 interview and was waitlisted first time, withdrew my other applications after I was accepted to my first school in the second cycle. Didn't want to waste money on other interviews if I was already accepted. I worked in a dental office and logged hundreds of volunteer hours at a dental clinic in the 2 years between college and dental school.

2 cycles over a 3.5 year time span.
1st cycle- 0 interviews
Went to hygiene school for two years.
2nd cycle- 6 interviews/ 2 acceptances

I'm in hygiene school right now. I'm applying this coming cycle. Did anyone ask about why you did hygiene school first? Just wondering if it helped, hindered, didn't matter....

2 cycles in three years. Got accepted this year. Took a year off to take extra classes and work in a dental lab. Hope those waiting hear soon. Pulling for you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys have to rewrite personal statement?
Obviously they did.

OP-Congrats!!!! that is some serious dedication right there, I'm very happy for you

Took me 3 cycles, but I finally got in this year! I can't be any happier either, this is what I have worked for over the last 7 years!

Congrats to those of you who got in, and best of luck to those of you who didn't. There is a reason for everything and you will see it all come together in the end!

Currently in my 4th cycle. 3 fall interviews, no acceptances yesterday =( Keeping hope alive

took me two cycles in two years. I applied for early admittance my junior year, then again my senior year. Try not to stress out too much, just show the school that they want you!!

To the OP, congrats! 5 cycles and you finally got in, that is true dedication! You must feel on top of the world right now...

I'm in hygiene school right now. I'm applying this coming cycle. Did anyone ask about why you did hygiene school first? Just wondering if it helped, hindered, didn't matter....

It definitely helped...I can honestly say that I wouldn't have had as many interviews if it wasn't for my hygiene background. Best of luck next year!:thumbup:

You all are dedicated.. but congrats on getting in.. no matter how long it took youve still accomplished it

It is my first time applying, and I get accepted to my top choice school. Funny thing is that I am applying to 12 schools, and only my top choice gave me an interview and accepted me so far :)

Congratulation to all of you. Thanks for showing us not to give up so easily on our dreams*

For those that took multiple time of applying to get accepted, what changed and why do you think you were rejected so many times?

I am applying next year for the first time and a bit nervous know that several people have to reapply multiple times to get into D school.

I've been applying since 2003. It took me a total of 5 cycles, 3 dental summer programs, 1 postbac/Master's program to get in. So far I've applied to 7 schools and have interviews for 6 and admitted to one school Dec. 1. Yes persistance pays off.:):):):D:D:D

Last edited:
for those who applied multiple times: what went wrong the first time? did the schools ever tell you guys what was wrong after your first cycle, so you can improve in the second cycle?

Sorry for asking so many questions this is my first time applying and I'm getting nervous with only 1 post-dec interview so far.

I would like to know too. People who've had to apply more than once, what do you think was the main thing holding you back? Stats? ECs? Personal statement/recs?

I think it's a combination of many things. For myself, my GPA was low as an undergrad with an overall 3.25 (4.0 last three semesters, though). Probably didn't have enough shadowing hours (~10) and lack of leadership experience. I'm currently wrapping up a Master of Science program with a 4.0, work as a TA, and researching, oh and retook the DAT, and wracked up over 100 hours shadowing. So, if you are in my (old) shoes, you can overcome poor undergrad performance as long as you have the motivation.

Did you every get a real answer as to what was ther reason you were not accepted your first two application cycles? Your stats aren't bad at all(undergrad GPA decent - not the top 10% or anything, but within the bell curve)...and DAT looks good too. Did an admissions committee ever give you a real reason as to why you did not make the cut the first two cycles?

you beat me! 3 cycles, 4 years but I'm finally in! 3 schools as well... determination has finally paid off!

It took me two cycles over 3 years, but I only applied to 1 school the 1st time. The 2nd time I applied to 3 and got accepted in one. Persistance does pay off; to all of you who haven't gotten accepted, keep trying- your time will come. Good luck!

Congrats!
It's great to see people like you, who don't give up after their 1st rejection.
I got in during my 2nd cycle.

Would people mind posting their stats and THEN how many cycles it took? Just so I can see what I might have to do in the future...:laugh:

Did you every get a real answer as to what was ther reason you were not accepted your first two application cycles? Your stats aren't bad at all(undergrad GPA decent - not the top 10% or anything, but within the bell curve)...and DAT looks good too. Did an admissions committee ever give you a real reason as to why you did not make the cut the first two cycles?

first time I applied my gpa was very low. I had around a 3.0 sci and 3.3 overall. My TS DAT was alright, but each time I bombed one section. The first time I bombed chem with a 16, the next time, I bombed orgo with a 15. Since my grades for these courses were both C's, I completely understand why I didn't get in. I had alot of EC's, good letters, and my sister and father are both dentists but that obviously is not enough. I did a masters program, heavily concentrated in research, published as a co-author in a reputable journal, and studied like mad for the DATS. My grad gpa is a 3.5, I TA'ed for Gen Bio and Adv Cell Bio lab, brought my TS DAT to a 23. I also work as a dental assistant, starting after the first time I applied. Hope that helps!

first time I applied my gpa was very low. I had around a 3.0 sci and 3.3 overall. My TS DAT was alright, but each time I bombed one section. The first time I bombed chem with a 16, the next time, I bombed orgo with a 15. Since my grades for these courses were both C's, I completely understand why I didn't get in. I had alot of EC's, good letters, and my sister and father are both dentists but that obviously is not enough. I did a masters program, heavily concentrated in research, published as a co-author in a reputable journal, and studied like mad for the DATS. My grad gpa is a 3.5, I TA'ed for Gen Bio and Adv Cell Bio lab, brought my TS DAT to a 23. I also work as a dental assistant, starting after the first time I applied. Hope that helps!

What would you consider a reputable journal? Does publishing in a reputable journal even help at all because AADSAS doesn't put much emphasis on publictions?
I'm in a very similar situation as you, with almost identical GPA and a publication in Immunity as first author and one in Immunological Reviews as last author.

This was my fourth time applying in five years and I finally got accepted last week!

I think the key is to call up the schools after a rejection and ask them what you need to improve. Once you get that advice, do whatever it takes to work on it and stay in touch with the school (email admissions, snail mail grades, etc).

I think my mistake was to keep on applying while adding postbac classes and tons of shadowing hours. It wasn't until my third cycle that I talked to all the schools and they all said the same thing. I ended up doing a Master's program with thesis and got a 4.0 in the program. All the schools I stayed in touch with eventually invited me for an interview.

No matter what your situation, you can definitely get in, but it's a lot of work (and worth it to). Check out dental and other science postbac programs, take time to study for the DAT, and get involved with dentistry at the shadowing or assisting level. Finally, once you have the interview come prepared. Definitely do a couple of mocks and look over the questions on SDN. Oh, and apply early, that always helps! Good luck!

I applied two cycles. Career change @ 27 yrs, non-science background. Took prerequisites from Late 2007 through Spring 2009. Two attempts at the DAT--first time after one year of prereqs in 2008 was an 18/19/20 (applied 19 schools, got one interview...zero acceptances), second DAT taken after all prereqs completed in 2009 was: 22/23/20 (8 interviews, 4 acceptances, 2 waitlist). Of course, re-wrote P.S. ~30x, new letters, etc.

Stay in the game and try and relax about the whole process. I remember being so uptight the first cycle...over-thinking every phone conversation and email with dental school admissions. Looking back...I wish I would have spent that time training for an ironman competition...or doing research like you guys are saying :sleep:

Two cycles! I am considering myself so lucky to have been accepted, especially since there are a crazy amount of applicants with amazing stats who are still waiting to hear. I had a 2.9 overall and 3.12 science GPA out of undergrad and a 3.9 post-bacc. Also fairly average DAT scores: AA 19, TS 19, PA 20.
The key for me was to continue to improve my application by taking upper level classes and working in a dental office. Not sure that the adcoms were as impressed with this, but I know it made me feel more confident that my second application was better than my first.
Also, on my first application, I didn't include all of my extracurriculars, like college athletics and outside interests. I know, dumb. You never know what these adcoms are going to pick up on. There are so many applicants now with great academic stats that I think it helped me to differentiate my application in a non-academic way. Since the adcoms picked up on some of these things, at my interviews it seemed like I just needed to demonstrate that I was a normal person. Looking forward to the fall!

What would you consider a reputable journal? Does publishing in a reputable journal even help at all because AADSAS doesn't put much emphasis on publictions?
I'm in a very similar situation as you, with almost identical GPA and a publication in Immunity as first author and one in Immunological Reviews as last author.

journal of cellular biochemistry. Publishing definitely helps. At my USC interview, they started our interview day by telling us about the other applicants in the room saying "And 6 people have 4.0's, one person had a 28 on the DAT, and 1 person published in a journal." I would also suggest meeting the deans. I believe it helped me receive interviews at 2 of the schools, one for certain.
My situation also may be slightly different in that even though my undergrad GPA was low, it was only because of my first 3 semesters. Every semester onward I had >3.5. I had a legitimate reason for the bad first 3 semesters which I addressed in my personal statement.
I would say the largest improvement I made was on the DATs though. I think it balanced my GPA enough for adcoms to look at my file to be considered for interviews.

Everyone here really makes me nervous because my undergrad gpa is 2.4 and I don't know how many cycles I will need to apply with this horrific GPA. I am starting my prereqs in the spring and I am now 29 which makes me even more worry.

journal of cellular biochemistry. Publishing definitely helps. At my USC interview, they started our interview day by telling us about the other applicants in the room saying "And 6 people have 4.0's, one person had a 28 on the DAT, and 1 person published in a journal." I would also suggest meeting the deans. I believe it helped me receive interviews at 2 of the schools, one for certain.
My situation also may be slightly different in that even though my undergrad GPA was low, it was only because of my first 3 semesters. Every semester onward I had >3.5. I had a legitimate reason for the bad first 3 semesters which I addressed in my personal statement.
I would say the largest improvement I made was on the DATs though. I think it balanced my GPA enough for adcoms to look at my file to be considered for interviews.

I agree, publishing does make you stand out...i am published in Nature Neuroscience, and schools were more than excited to hear about it

I agree, publishing does make you stand out...i am published in Nature Neuroscience, and schools were more than excited to hear about it

So since you guys have published, I am assuming that research is something you guys enjoy. Would you guys consider going down the dental research path? go academic? or are you guys interested solely in practicing?

And before this goes off topic too much, I'm in my first cycle right now.

So since you guys have published, I am assuming that research is something you guys enjoy. Would you guys consider going down the dental research path? go academic? or are you guys interested solely in practicing?

And before this goes off topic too much, I'm in my first cycle right now.

to be completely honest, I really dont enjoy research as much as some might think. I got my job after graduating with a degree in Biology, and I wanted to take some time off school. I just wanted to get a job where I used the degree I paid all that money for, and as I am sure you know, there isn't much out there in terms of a job in the science/medical field without further education.

I am more interested in solely practicing right now, but that can always change. It is nice to have experience in the research field to fall back on.

Immunity is a good journal.

Probably dental research, I got a Masters degree and enjoyed teaching, and work in research now, and would like to stay involved.

hi guys,

do you know if taking a jewelry-making course would make any difference in standing out? did anyone get to talk about it in their interviews?

I am debating whether I should spend 200 bucks on this course offered at a local school board.

hi guys,

do you know if taking a jewelry-making course would make any difference in standing out? did anyone get to talk about it in their interviews?

I am debating whether I should spend 200 bucks on this course offered at a local school board.

Try not to kill my thread, buddy. Go ahead and take the course, although they usually say something about pottery classes helping your application...

I also did/am doing a lot of research. Looks like that has been working for many of us.

2 cycles :)
1st cycle i only applied to CA schools, bc i wanted to stay local. 2nd time, applied all over. I am SO GLAD that i got to move away and live somewhere different for the next 4 years!!! I <3 Tufts & Boston. Everything happens for a reason :)
Key is to apply EVERYWHERE. better than waiting out a year right? I only applied to 13 schools 2nd time, but if I recommend applying to a good 25-30.