how many days did you guys prepare for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many weeks before your interview did u guys start preparing?

it seems like a lot of ppl are looking at the interview feedbacks and practicing in front of a mirror.

Did you do anything else to help prepare for your interview?? ie read any specific books or etc?

1st interview coming up soon so im getting pretty nervous :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

how many weeks before your interview did u guys start preparing?

it seems like a lot of ppl are looking at the interview feedbacks and practicing in front of a mirror.

Did you do anything else to help prepare for your interview?? ie read any specific books or etc?

1st interview coming up soon so im getting pretty nervous :eek:

2 Words! BE YOURSELF

The more you "Prepare" for the interview the less natural it comes off....while you should think about interview questions and maybe formulate ideas on how to answer some questions, you shouldnt overdo it....Just my opinion

Good Luck :thumbup:

if uve got time , go and do a mock interview @ ur career center undergrad... i've heard they tape it and u can see ur "mistakes" like using handmotions too much or something, saying "umm" too much..

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like all my interviews went really well and the only prep I did was go over my app, looked at the school's website and reviewed why I applied to that specific school. Don't stress and like Tommy said, BE YOURSELF!

2 Words! BE YOURSELF

The more you "Prepare" for the interview the less natural it comes off....while you should think about interview questions and maybe formulate ideas on how to answer some questions, you shouldnt overdo it....Just my opinion

Good Luck :thumbup:

I feel like all my interviews went really well and the only prep I did was go over my app, looked at the school's website and reviewed why I applied to that specific school. Don't stress and like Tommy said, BE YOURSELF!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

After my first interview.. i learned that.. there's nothing really to prep for.. Just be yourself. I think i did a lot better from just glancing over my resume on my way to the school than writing out all the responses i have for each school.. Good luck!

After my first interview.. i learned that.. there's nothing really to prep for.. Just be yourself. I think i did a lot better from just glancing over my resume on my way to the school than writing out all the responses i have for each school.. Good luck!

Agreed...I have to laugh at the people who spend days and weeks prepping for interviews. After one, you realize it is not necessary. All I have done since then is check the feedback section the night before and look over my app, and I haven't had any problems during my interviews.

Im totally going to reiterate what everyone else said. For my first interview I spent hours reading pittsburgh's online journal and going to interview feedback and the website. I felt like a fool when I got to the interview and it was like sitting down to talk with my grandfather who I haven't seen in a while. Just know why you want to do this and don't script yourself, the last thing you want is to sound like an uncaring drone. You want one of those as your dentist? These Drs that interview you have made it their business to put people at ease for decades, you will sit down with the cute lil grandfather and talk about how you like to ski and how he took his grandchildren to six flags the other day. I've been to 3 interviews so far and none were remotely close to being stressful. good luck and dont freak out, you will see it's silly. :luck::luck:

Im totally going to reiterate what everyone else said. For my first interview I spent hours reading pittsburgh's online journal and going to interview feedback and the website. I felt like a fool when I got to the interview and it was like sitting down to talk with my grandfather who I haven't seen in a while. Just know why you want to do this and don't script yourself, the last thing you want is to sound like an uncaring drone. You want one of those as your dentist? These Drs that interview you have made it their business to put people at ease for decades, you will sit down with the cute lil grandfather and talk about how you like to ski and how he took his grandchildren to six flags the other day. I've been to 3 interviews so far and none were remotely close to being stressful. good luck and dont freak out, you will see it's silly. :luck::luck:

lol cute lil grandfather. funniest reply so far

thanks guys

i should relax just a bit :laugh:

good luck!

Don't expect every interviewer to be a sweet grandfather or someone who wants to be your friend. I've had nice interviewers and I've also had people who make it obvious that making you comfortable isn't part of the job requirement.

Don't expect every interviewer to be a sweet grandfather or someone who wants to be your friend. I've had nice interviewers and I've also had people who make it obvious that making you comfortable isn't part of the job requirement.
I agree with this. I've only been on one so far, got a few more coming up. Mine was great, but I don't think they are all going to be that way. That said, I didn't prepare for my interview at all. I read some of the interview experiences on here for about a half hour before I left, just to see what to expect at that particular school. Other than that, nothing. And I think that's the right thing to do. At this point, you should be able to just be yourself, and I think that's the best way to go into this.

I am not planning on preparing for any of the other ones either, except that I will review the experiences again and possibly the school's website the day before, just so I have a couple questions of my own ready.

I prepped on the plane ride there; not to make stuff up, but to just hash out how things would sound.

Don't worry about what questions they will ask you, focus only on being professional. Ive seen way too many people acting immature and rude at these things than I thought possible.