How many dental schools I should be applying to based my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yourdeardarling_chickadee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am applying to dental school this year. I was thinking of submitting applications to around 20 schools. What I am wondering is whether submitting applications to 20-ish schools is a bit of an overkill or that I should be applying to this many if not more.

My stats are below:

Total GPA: 3.29
Science GPA: 3.00

DAT
AA: 21
TS: 20
PAT: 20

Volunteer hours: ~150
Shadowing hours: ~100

Based on the stats listed above, at least how many schools do you guys think I should going for? Any thoughts and recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

20 schools is too much in my opinion. Number one rule is only apply to schools that you would be happy going there if it was your only acceptance. Based on your stats you should first be applying to any and all in-state public schools that you may have. Next, I would suggest applying to some of the schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year (UCSF, Maryland, Buffalo, to name a few). Your DAT is fine but your GPA might hold you back, so you might have to apply to a good amount of private schools. Again, they are going to be expensive and only apply to places / locations you can see yourself living in. I wouldn't apply to more than 15 schools. 20 is overkill

Reactions: 1 users
Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't want to attend! If you can find 20 dental schools you would be happy to attend if you were accepted to any one of them, I say go for it. Applying to a few extra schools is cheaper than applying a second time.

Just my two cents!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
20 schools is too much in my opinion. Number one rule is only apply to schools that you would be happy going there if it was your only acceptance. Based on your stats you should first be applying to any and all in-state public schools that you may have. Next, I would suggest applying to some of the schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year (UCSF, Maryland, Buffalo, to name a few). Your DAT is fine but your GPA might hold you back, so you might have to apply to a good amount of private schools. Again, they are going to be expensive and only apply to places / locations you can see yourself living in. I wouldn't apply to more than 15 schools. 20 is overkill
Hi DentalExpert.

Thank you for the advice. I do have a question for you though. Where did you find the information about schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year? Did you have to search every school individually to find out?

Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't want to attend! If you can find 20 dental schools you would be happy to attend if you were accepted to any one of them, I say g2o for it. Applying to a few extra schools is cheaper than applying a second time.

Just my two cents!
Hello John Muir.

You definitely have a point about applying to a few extra schools being cheaper than having to apply a second time. I found your advice to be very reassuring about the idea applying for 20-ish schools. Thank you for that.

I would be certain that you have the best personal statement possible, the best DAT score attempt you can possibly achieve, and consider doing a master's to offset your UG GPA.

Goodluck.
Hello Alpha Centauri.

Thank you for your input. I have contemplated taking the DAT a second time but I am wondering if I would have enough time for it this cycle. What do you think? With it being June right now, would retaking the DAT around August or September help me or would the schools have already looked at my application and not give it a second glance after? Also, I will definitely consider doing a master's to offset my undergrad GPA if I do not get in this cycle.

Hello Alpha Centauri.

Thank you for your input. I have contemplated taking the DAT a second time but I am wondering if I would have enough time for it this cycle. What do you think? With it being June right now, would retaking the DAT around August or September help me or would the schools have already looked at my application and not give it a second glance after? Also, I will definitely consider doing a master's to offset my undergrad GPA if I do not get in this cycle.
Take the DAT again only if you know you can do better. If not then no point. If you can squeeze another high quality attempt in by end of July / Early August then full steam ahead

Hi DentalExpert.

Thank you for the advice. I do have a question for you though. Where did you find the information about schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year? Did you have to search every school individually to find out?
You can search online and there is also a thread on SDN somewhere / a guide to dental school that outlines it. Just search around but from what I know some schools are UCSF, Buffalo, Maryland, UConn, UCLA (maybe)