How many digits are in AMCAS GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PhysicianScientist

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many digits are in the AMCAS GPA when we apply? For example, if one had 3.8995 would it be reported as 3.900 or simply 3.899?

How many digits are in the final AMCAS GPA and do they round or do they just truncate?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've always wondered about GPAs, if anyone has ever gotten a B but ended up with a 4.0 due to rounding. (I know that would require a lot of classes to even out like that.)
 
I've always wondered about GPAs, if anyone has ever gotten a B but ended up with a 4.0 due to rounding. (I know that would require a lot of classes to even out like that.)

Assuming a B is 3.0, and that one got a B in a 3 credit class, one would need 600 credits to get a 3.995 (which wound round to a 4) :laugh:. However, if you get an A- in a 3 credit class and if an A- is a 3.70 then you can get 4.0 still with 180 credits!
 
Yeah I figured that would be pretty insane with the x.xx
I guess technically you could do it, it would just take a reeeeally long time.

The first time I thought about it was in a situation when the grades would have been rounded to x.x

(I know a 3.9 vs 4.0 isn't a big deal. I just kind of wondered if stuff like this happened/could happen)
 
Last edited: