How many EMS people considering EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick661806

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just sort of curious. I'm currently an EMT-I and I love all the action and most of the patients. I'm pretty sure I want to go into EM and I was wondering how many other people have gone into EM because of their experiences in EMS.

Members don't see this ad.

Not me - I don't like the lack of continuation of care. Back when I was working, I was continually wondering what happened to them, whether my "suspicions" about the underlying causes about their symptoms were correct (particularly in those with abdominal pain. . . tricky stuff, that), and that sort of thing. I guess you get some sort of closure with the acute patients in the actual ED setting, but when it comes to that I don't really like the whole "treat 'em and street 'em" attitude you have to adopt to keep your budget afloat. I suppose a distant and minor deterrent would also be the salary. . .

I'm considering it, for sure, but I also have a few other interests. I'm keeping my mind open, but when people ask what I want to go into (which probably happens five times a week :rolleyes: ), I tell them surgery or emergency medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering it pretty heavily. I'm also an EMT-I. I'm keeping an open mind - I might absolutely fall in love with another specialty during rotations. However, I still feel pretty strongly about EM. There are quite a few EM docs out there who were EMT's or medics in their previous life.

As a paramedic of 10 years, of course I'm considering it. But when people ask me what I'm considering, I find it easier to tell them what I'm *not* interested in right now. Not peds, ob/gyn, surgery, ortho or derm. Only FP if I can do it in a small rural town and get paid partly in chickens and apple pies. But I really don't know enough about some of the other specialties to make an intelligent decision. Still, EM would be pretty cool.

nick661806 said:
I was just sort of curious. I'm currently an EMT-I and I love all the action and most of the patients. I'm pretty sure I want to go into EM and I was wondering how many other people have gone into EM because of their experiences in EMS.

I'm keeping my options open, but the more I think about it and get people's opinions on it, the less exciting it seems. Being an EMT is exciting, for sure, but in the ER you won't be riding ambulances and all that jazz. Plus, depending on where you work, you'll be responsible for upwards of 20 patients, which is huge from a liability standpoint. You won't get to sleep on shifts like some ambulance systems are used to, and the stress is high (again, varying depending on where you live). I think the big thing is that it's fun right now, but will I want to be doing this same stuff when I'm 50? Who knows.

TheProwler said:
I'm considering it, for sure, but I also have a few other interests. I'm keeping my mind open, but when people ask what I want to go into (which probably happens five times a week :rolleyes: ), I tell them surgery or emergency medicine.

Me too... but, I know people tend to change their mind when they go through their rotations. A lot of pre-med students tend to be biased to one or two things before med school because of previous experiences in such fields.

I started out in EMS, then respiratory therapy, and I have a slight interest in EM, but I really probably would prefer pathology.

i've been an EMT for about three years, and while i've considered EM, i also recognize that something like 90% of the people who enter into med school end up in a speciality that they didn't think was their "#1 choice" initially. so, no real point on foreclosing on anything.

i'm interested in EM, psych, peds, neuro, radiology, and cha-ching. i mean, dermatology.

I kind of want to be able to do more than what Emergency physcians can do and have more patient continuity. I'm honestly leaning towards OB/GYN because you get to do so much, like deliver babies, do surgeries, deal with emergencies...but things can easily change.

MrBurns10 said:
I kind of want to be able to do more than what Emergency physcians can do and have more patient continuity. I'm honestly leaning towards OB/GYN because you get to do so much, like deliver babies, do surgeries, deal with emergencies...but things can easily change.
Let's not forget pay astronomical malpractice premiums for the pleasure of dealing with insanely demanding and rude women (although I do believe that anyone who is carrying a child has every right to be somewhat demanding and rude, but far too many use this as a carte blanche excuse to become total bi....well you get the idea) and dealing with disgusting things best left to the simple descriptive of "female problems".

Praetorian said:
Let's not forget pay astronomical malpractice premiums for the pleasure of dealing with insanely demanding and rude women (although I do believe that anyone who is carrying a child has every right to be somewhat demanding and rude, but far too many use this as a carte blanche excuse to become total bi....well you get the idea) and dealing with disgusting things best left to the simple descriptive of "female problems".
Haha very true. I'm far more interested in the OB aspect than the GYN. But if that's what I want to do I figure I'll get used to it. Eventually...

I'm guessing that's kind of how proctologists feel.

I've delivered three babies, and witnessed the birth of my daughter. I could never get used to that. I fully intend to slack off during the OB/GYN part of medical school, doing the bare minimum required to get a passing grade because I have no desire to ever ever EVER get near a woman in labor again after my completion of that rotation because of the level of nausea that kind of thing instills in me. Of course I assist with embalmings in my current position, so I guess everyone has those things they dred.....