cjw0918

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2001
East Coast
Visit site
Status
I know almost everyone gets something in their top three, but does anyone know how many people get their top choice? 50%? I'm speaking for path only.

joedogma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2004
Waiting for Cap and Gown
Visit site
Status
I think that in the past it had been quite high (maybe >75%) but with the now "increased competitiveness" I think the old data is pretty much useless. Path is still not relatively competitive so if you are a strong candidate I would imagine that the chances of getting your first choice are pretty good...guess we will have to wait and see...

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
(related topic) Someone I know contacted me and told me they got a letter just recently (like this weekend) stating: "You are one of our top ranked applicants." They came to me to ask the meaning of this, and since I didnt do the match for path myself was stumped. I assumed that basically meant you are in (this person ranked this program no1) but dont want to over interpret this. Any help here?

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
The statistics you are asking about have been mentioned on this forum before, but I can't remember for sure what they were. Plus, like someone else said, it may not even be relevant now.

I am assuming I will not get my #1 and am planning mentally to match into #2. If I get #1, I'll be ecstatic. If I get #2, I'll be cool. If I get #10, I'll be really upset. My reaction would almost certainly be: "You've got to be F***ING kidding me!!!!!".

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah, I don't know about the stats either.

My rule of thumb about positive statements short of "YARTM" is that they mean nothing. They're nice, but still meaningless. Short of "YARTM," you just have to see how it plays out in the match.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
cytoborg said:
Yeah, I don't know about the stats either.

My rule of thumb about positive statements short of "YARTM" is that they mean nothing. They're nice, but still meaningless. Short of "YARTM," you just have to see how it plays out in the match.
Two things:
1. I agree 100% with cytoborg.
2. The match is dumb.

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
LADoc00 said:
(related topic) Someone I know contacted me and told me they got a letter just recently (like this weekend) stating: "You are one of our top ranked applicants." They came to me to ask the meaning of this, and since I didnt do the match for path myself was stumped. I assumed that basically meant you are in (this person ranked this program no1) but dont want to over interpret this. Any help here?
I think you are potentially overinterpreting it. If you are ranked to match they will tell you you are ranked to match, and not be cryptic about saying something like "one of our top ranked" because you simply don't know how they define top ranked. Perhaps they consider everyone in their top 30 (for 4 spots, e.g.) to be top ranked.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
yaah said:
I think you are potentially overinterpreting it. If you are ranked to match they will tell you you are ranked to match, and not be cryptic about saying something like "one of our top ranked" because you simply don't know how they define top ranked. Perhaps they consider everyone in their top 30 (for 4 spots, e.g.) to be top ranked.
Who cares now? It's all out of our hands.

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
We now have 15 days until the Match. Does anyone else think the time is going by really fast? Who all are going to stay home and wait for the match results on the computer? And who all are going to their school's match celebration to find out the results? I guess I should start a poll, but I don't feel like it.

Pookies

Happy Fun Pathologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
www.mycathatesyou.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I will be happy at any of my top 6. For me it was really hard to order them because I liked them all.

I am going to the match party. I think its great to get up in front of everyone and open your envelope. Should be alot of fun.

<----------My cat needs a spanking

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
stormjen said:
We now have 15 days until the Match. Does anyone else think the time is going by really fast? Who all are going to stay home and wait for the match results on the computer? And who all are going to their school's match celebration to find out the results? I guess I should start a poll, but I don't feel like it.
Wow just 15 days left ey? That's like 2 weeks (and a day)!

For me, time will go pretty fast until March 14th when we get that email (hopefully) that we have matched. I have lots of things keeping me busy now so honestly I don't think about the Match as much since there's nothing really that I can do at this point. This return to "normalcy" is nice.

I will be attending the Match ceremony on the 17th. Although I don't know the majority of the class of 2005, I know enough people such that I would like to be there to congratulate them on a job well done. Then I leave town soon after the ceremony ends. The amount I drink in Vegas will be proportional to how far I go down on my rank list. It's #1 or bust. Well, I take that back, I guess I'll be happy with #2-4 as well :).

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
AndyMilonakis said:
It's #1 or bust. Well, I take that back, I guess I'll be happy with #2-4 as well :).
Andy, I can't believe how nervous you seem about this. Maybe nervous is the wrong word, but I can't think of a better one. Anyway, in the spirit of your Vegas trip, I'd place 100:1 odds that you will get your number 1 choice. Oh, and you better post your match results before you fly off :)

EUA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
AndyMilonakis said:
Then I leave town soon after the ceremony ends. The amount I drink in Vegas will be proportional to how far I go down on my rank list. It's #1 or bust. Well, I take that back, I guess I'll be happy with #2-4 as well :).
heh heh heh. i guess i'm not the only one who has a nice vegas trip planned immediately after. i figured i'd be a) elated and ready to drink myself silly in ecstasy or b) in a immediate major depression and would need to drink myself silly in misery.

lets hope its a.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
EUA said:
heh heh heh. i guess i'm not the only one who has a nice vegas trip planned immediately after. i figured i'd be a) elated and ready to drink myself silly in ecstasy or b) in a immediate major depression and would need to drink myself silly in misery.

lets hope its a.
cool stuff. i hope it's a for both of us :)

i am also willing to pay extra to get a first class seat on my flight to vegas...that way i can join my friend who has already obtained a seat in first class and get a really good head start on the flight.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
geddy said:
Andy, I can't believe how nervous you seem about this. Maybe nervous is the wrong word, but I can't think of a better one. Anyway, in the spirit of your Vegas trip, I'd place 100:1 odds that you will get your number 1 choice. Oh, and you better post your match results before you fly off :)
i'm not nervous...yet :)

Mrbojangles

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Status
The time is going by pretty quickly. I feel like I need time to decompress after putting up my ROL. That was pretty nerve wracking in itself.

Going to the school match ceremony definitely will be more exciting than finding out on a computer screen. But then again I worry if I have a bad reaction ;).

Pookies

Happy Fun Pathologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
www.mycathatesyou.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Mrbojangles said:
The time is going by pretty quickly. I feel like I need time to decompress after putting up my ROL. That was pretty nerve wracking in itself.

Going to the school match ceremony definitely will be more exciting than finding out on a computer screen. But then again I worry if I have a bad reaction ;).

Good reaction? Bad reaction? Its all good. We get a job.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Dammit am I the only person around here who's on call on Match Day!?

My classmates all got time off from their rotations to convene in the student lounge and go nuts for a few hours.

I was in San Antonio.

I feel like a stranger in my own home :oops:

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
deschutes said:
Dammit am I the only person around here who's on call on Match Day!?
I'm a slacker; I don't even remember the last time I took call. My Sub-I is coming up, but even then I doubt I'll ever have to do overnight call, as it's at the VA.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
stormjen said:
I'm a slacker; I don't even remember the last time I took call. My Sub-I is coming up, but even then I doubt I'll ever have to do overnight call, as it's at the VA.
You have chosen your sub-I's well. :thumbup:

I remember taking only 5 overnight calls total during my 2 months of sub-I's. Jokewood Hospital baby! It's all about the JOKE!