How many have you lost from your class?

Started by rxlea
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We technically started with 100 students. One didn't show up to orientation. One dropped within the first week and moved to California for her husband's job (or something like that).

Of the 98 remaining, we have already lost 2 students- one dropped first semester and one went on medical leave and will now be graduating with the next class. We have also gained 2 students from the class before us because they failed courses. After our Infectious Disease scores were posted, we may lose another couple students to the incoming class.

So, my question to you is how many students have you lost (or gained from other classes) at your school?
 
Lost 6 for various reasons, including one that decided to pursue medical school after the first year. This particularly pissed me off because I think about all the students who were robbed of opportunities to be in their place.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We lost at least three (out of about 110). Our class is actually larger than when we started though, since we have gained so many people from years above us.
 
We technically started with 100 students. One didn't show up to orientation. One dropped within the first week and moved to California for her husband's job (or something like that).

Of the 98 remaining, we have already lost 2 students- one dropped first semester and one went on medical leave and will now be graduating with the next class. We have also gained 2 students from the class before us because they failed courses. After our Infectious Disease scores were posted, we may lose another couple students to the incoming class.

So, my question to you is how many students have you lost (or gained from other classes) at your school?

I think we lost about 8 or so out of 146. However, because of transfers we are hovering around 142.
 
My class started with about 100 (they now admit 108 students each year) and there were 86 in my graduating class. Some fell behind a year for a variety of reasons, I know of two who transferred to other schools, some decided pharmacy wasn't for them and changed majors (one during senior year!) and one was expelled because he was arrested for selling marijuana. 😱 One also dropped out after she got custody of her daughter, but I'm glad she never became a pharmacist for reasons I won't get into here because they could identify her. 🙁

Professional programs expect about 10% attrition.

Sadly, out of these 86 people, three died in their mid 30s. Two had cancer, and the third OD'd on stolen drugs.
 
We started at 148, and we're at 133 at the end of our second year, including 3 people who were held back from last year. So that's 18 lost overall (with the caveat that there are probably 3-4 people that should be lost but are good at sweet-talking professors). We also have some 15-20 odd people who are taking classes over the summer because they failed a course this year - I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose another 3-4 people there. There's mumbling that by the time we get out of ID, there's a possibility we'll be below 115 of the original 148, based on the trajectory of the year above us.
 
I think my class has gotten bigger overall - I think we lost like 3-4 out of ~60 in the first year, don't know if we lost any this last year. I think we gained more than we lost though, from "upperclassman" having to repeat.

One we lost because she decided to drop out to become a manager at Publix and one I think we lost due to immigration issues - I never got the full story. And we have lost others here and there, not so sure about the overall number.

I am only counting my campus because I have no idea about the overall number. :shrug:
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We lost a few, no more than 10/200, but would always gain a similar amount from the class before.
 
ACPE gets very interested when more than 10% of a class fails to graduate on time due to academic-related issues.

Dropouts due to financial issues, behavior issues, or student changes their mind about pharmacy issues aren't held against the school.
 
One girl who got into the Class of 2014 passed away like a week before the Orientation/White Coat Ceremony. 🙁

There was a woman in pre-pharmacy who would have graduated the year after me who died too, in a car accident. This was in 1991, and her family gave a memorial scholarship until a couple years ago; I'm guessing that the money ran out.

As for the classmate who OD'd, one of my classmates who's also on Facebook knew him better than I did (I just knew who he was) and was totally shocked about this.
 
We started with 165 and I think we are down to around 152 + or -. There were 2 or 3 that dropped before orientation, we lost some in the P1 year, and we lost 2 or 3 after the ID section in therapeutics.
 
There was a woman in pre-pharmacy who would have graduated the year after me who died too, in a car accident. This was in 1991, and her family gave a memorial scholarship until a couple years ago; I'm guessing that the money ran out.

As for the classmate who OD'd, one of my classmates who's also on Facebook knew him better than I did (I just knew who he was) and was totally shocked about this.

That sucks. I think what happened with this girl was that she had cancer, they thought it was in remission but it suddenly came back over the summer.
 
WOW!! Some of those numbers are absurd! I know that in vet school if you try to drop out for personal reasons (like changing your mind about vet school, or breaking the law, or failing) they rip you to pieces. I've heard about the yell-a-thons and they sound awful. And the school is absolutely entitled to do that, b/c obviously that position could have been better suited for someone else.
 
I heard that LIU has a ridiculous rate of attrition if you count the amount of people who are accepted into the Pre-Pharmacy program.

When I started in Fall 2005, I think there were about 600 of us in the prepharmacy group. After the first year of prepharmacy, about 300 people changed their majors or left the school.
 
We started with 165 and I think we are down to around 152 + or -. There were 2 or 3 that dropped before orientation, we lost some in the P1 year, and we lost 2 or 3 after the ID section in therapeutics.

If someone dropped before orientation, wouldn't they be able to pull people from the waitlist?
 
If someone dropped before orientation, wouldn't they be able to pull people from the waitlist?

It all depends how soon before orientation they pull out.

If #1 on the waitlist lives in Oregon and the school is in Georgia, good luck trying to coordinate that with three days to go before orientation starts.

All schools have a 'drop dead' date, following which the class is set. Some schools set it 1-2 weeks before orientation, others go as late as the second week of classes. (I'm not so sure I would accept that offer.)
 
I think we started with 149 and we have about 144 now. I heard a couple left in the first semester after biochem started, and I know one left voluntarily to be in the class of 2015 with their SO. We were told that we gained one from the class above us, but I'm not sure who they are.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think we lost 6 out of 73

2 - transfers to other pharmacy schools due to family
3 - went down to c/o 2013, non-academic reasons (personal, health, or unknown)
1 - unknown, no one liked him anyway
 
I think we lost 6 out of 73

2 - transfers to other pharmacy schools due to family
3 - went down to c/o 2013, non-academic reasons (personal, health, or unknown)
1 - unknown, no one liked him anyway

I know 1 of those 3; no one seems to know what happened to him, including, it seems, any of the Jefferson students I know that knew him well.
 
U guys classmates ? 😱 😕

No, but my school is about 20 minutes by public transportation from his school, and I know a lot of Jefferson people through various student organizations. Plus I work right next to their campus, with some of their students.
 
Out of 90, we lost 5 and have gained 3 from the class above. No one in our class left due to academic reasons, they all left within the first year...pharmacy just wasn't for them.
 
1 to dental school (after first year)
2 to medical school (after second year)

1 failure, I think (failed the program, not just a class)
1 sat a year out due to personal/health issues
A few people failed a class in 3rd year, but I think some of them were generously offered supplemental exams, so I don't know how many we have actually lost yet
We've gained a couple upper year students who failed a class and were held back
Apparently one guy was caught cheating, not sure what happened to him though...

out of ~150 something
 
We started with 75ish..i know for a fact we lost 5 from the spring semester & maybe 6-8 in the fall. We've gained 12 or so from the previous class so i guess we're about even with how many we started with.
 
Lost 0 from the original 75 but gained 3 from the previous class. Our second year might be a different story.
 
Lost about 20 so far. A good amount of them didn't deserve to get into the goddamn program and they robbed potential students of their future. 😡 The other ones dropped due to financial and I feel for them...it's getting really expensive.
 
OMG, your class was so complicated! 😱😱
My class started with about 100 (they now admit 108 students each year) and there were 86 in my graduating class. Some fell behind a year for a variety of reasons, I know of two who transferred to other schools, some decided pharmacy wasn't for them and changed majors (one during senior year!) and one was expelled because he was arrested for selling marijuana. 😱 One also dropped out after she got custody of her daughter, but I'm glad she never became a pharmacist for reasons I won't get into here because they could identify her. 🙁

Professional programs expect about 10% attrition.

Sadly, out of these 86 people, three died in their mid 30s. Two had cancer, and the third OD'd on stolen drugs.
 
We have 200 in our class but at 3 different sites. I can only speak for my site which is 120, the main campus.
+1 transfer to another pharm school
+1 quit to become a lab tech and didn't like the field
+2 who decided the field wasn't for them with one going to Europe and other going for mba.
+1 straight failed and was drop from program.
+10-15 who probably have failed a class so had to retake that certain one but are not dropped (basically academic probation period)
 
WOW!! Some of those numbers are absurd! I know that in vet school if you try to drop out for personal reasons (like changing your mind about vet school, or breaking the law, or failing) they rip you to pieces. I've heard about the yell-a-thons and they sound awful. And the school is absolutely entitled to do that, b/c obviously that position could have been better suited for someone else.

but you know what, they still gladly took their money. they have no right to yell. they can refund the money if that is the case then.
 
We started with around 100 students. We lost 1 after he had a drug-related accident and left or was kicked out of the program. About 5 fell back a year for failing classes and we got about that many from the class above. 1 student did the Pharm.D./MBA dual degree program and left our class after P2 year. Another student dropped out during P3 year right before rotations. We also lost a classmate to cancer during P4 year, but the school awarded him his degree posthumously because he was only ~ 3 rotations shy of completing all requirements.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad