How many hours a week do you work as an anesthesiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedLightPass

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to become a physician, I would strongly desire to work in anesthesia. However, I'm not willing to work 60 hours a week for the rest of my life- I like having friends and hobbies. What would you say your average work week is? Would I have to endure a large paycut if I wanted to keep my work week under 50 hours year-round?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were to become a physician, I would strongly desire to work in anesthesia. However, I'm not willing to work 60 hours a week for the rest of my life- I like having friends and hobbies. What would you say your average work week is? Would I have to endure a large paycut if I wanted to keep my work week under 50 hours year-round?

60 hours is not that much, especially if you like what you do, and ESPECIALLY if you are well compensated. it is very easy to have family/friends/hobbies and work 60 hours a week. I have a great job where I average 50-60 hrs per week. I have many hobbies which require a lot of time, and I also sleep a lot and watch a buttload of TV. Some weeks I work 30 hours and do lots of fun stuff. last week I worked 96 hours and wanted to die (or at least sleep indefinitely) a lot. My record as an attending is 110. I also get 12-14 weeks of vacation a year, though, so it all evens out. If you balk at working 60 hours a week, medicine is unlikely to be a great career choice. You will definitely have to work more than 60 hrs/week for at least some (or most/all) weeks in residency. After that, sure, you could find a job in some field (maybe even anesthesia!) where you don't work as much, but you'll have to sacrifice something (money, vacation, desirable location, specialty choice, etc). Even if you don't go into medicine, show me a job where you make anything close to what an anesthesiologist makes pulling 40-50 hrs/week, never mind get >8 weeks vacation. I don't think it exists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I job share with another anesthesiologist. Week on/week off. 6 weekends a year. Making under 200k but I am at the point in life where my kids are educated and house is paid for and time is the greatest commodity to have.

60 hours is not that much, especially if you like what you do, and ESPECIALLY if you are well compensated. it is very easy to have family/friends/hobbies and work 60 hours a week. I have a great job where I average 50-60 hrs per week. I have many hobbies which require a lot of time, and I also sleep a lot and watch a buttload of TV. Some weeks I work 30 hours and do lots of fun stuff. last week I worked 96 hours and wanted to die (or at least sleep indefinitely) a lot. My record as an attending is 110. I also get 12-14 weeks of vacation a year, though, so it all evens out. If you balk at working 60 hours a week, medicine is unlikely to be a great career choice. You will definitely have to work more than 60 hrs/week for at least some (or most/all) weeks in residency. After that, sure, you could find a job in some field (maybe even anesthesia!) where you don't work as much, but you'll have to sacrifice something (money, vacation, desirable location, specialty choice, etc). Even if you don't go into medicine, show me a job where you make anything close to what an anesthesiologist makes pulling 40-50 hrs/week, never mind get >8 weeks vacation. I don't think it exists.

Oral surgeon...12 weeks vacation, 30-40 hour work weeks and I guarantee I make every bit of what you make.

Are we partners? Cuz you really just posted what I was gonna post.

Oh... wait. I remember, you're up there near that big mall aren't you? Used to live there. Nice city (cities). And lot's of fun stuff... north of there.

Over here I'm 40-80 hours with 12 weeks vaca. Hours are very dependent on the time of the year. Also depends on how hungry I am. Plenty of partners that work 40 or less, but they get paid less as they've already made it to the big leagues. Some of us are a bit more hungry and it's work hard, play hard mentality.

50 hours per week, 4 weeks vacation, about 350,000. All types of cases.

[/B]

Oral surgeon...12 weeks vacation, 30-40 hour work weeks and I guarantee I make every bit of what you make.

how is an oral surgeon "outside of medicine"?

I was probably overstating when I said these jobs don't exist. they do exist, certainly, but tend to be quite rare and require significant work/training/commitment prior to a baller liefstyle with a fat-ass paycheck. If medicine, isn't your cup of tea, might I suggest the NBA?

Last edited:
Income is all relative to cost of living and work hours and benefits are factored in.

A 300-400k income in the South or the boonies means you can live like a king.
Not so much in expensive urban areas.

Factor in some places with incredible benefits (like some state hospitals).

It's impossible to compare income unless you factor all this in.

I'd take making 300k with awesome benefits and working 40-45 hours a week with very little call in the South in a major cheaper area than busting my butt 55-65 hours a week and call every 6-7th night in expensive urban area making 500k with no benefits any day of the week.

But to each their own. Whatever makes you happy.

60 hours a week is a very light schedule for any medical specialty.

I notice you're listed as pre-health. If working <60 hours is critical for your happiness, you may want to rethink your career choice. In medical school, you will be working 80+ hours on the wards, then go home to study for your exams. As a resident you will be working on the order of 80 hours a week for four years -- you'll work weekends, take overnight call, and the majority of your time will be spent in the hospital.

That said, I'm a resident, and I love what I do. I would do it over again 100x over, and I'm very happy with my decision to go into medicine and anesthesia. I think it's a great career choice, but only if it is consistent with what you want out of your career. If you absolutely need <60 hour work week to be happy...please consider it as part of your decision. Most medical students take on $100,000-$200,000 in debt, and after a couple years of school it will be too late to change your mind without getting yourself into financial ruin. Again, I'm not telling you to stay away -- I highly recommend it for the right person, but it's not for everyone, and just making sure you know what you're getting into.

I imagine most anesthesiologists work 50-60 hours a week. Maybe a bit more if the call burden is high.
But you are right in that work load and total compensation are usually related.
You could work m-f 7-4 no call no weekends in an ASC only group.

Members don't see this ad :)
[/B]

IHO, are you still bailing or Ortho? How is the app process going?

45-50 hrs per week, 10 weeks vacation per year, salary at about 98% percentile in a mid sized city

I job share with another anesthesiologist. Week on/week off. 6 weekends a year. Making under 200k but I am at the point in life where my kids are educated and house is paid for and time is the greatest commodity to have.

good for you :thumbup:

IHO, are you still bailing or Ortho? How is the app process going?

might be too old to learn new tricks and I still have some bills to pay first, regardless. I wouldn't consider going back to school until debt free + 3-4hundred thou saved to cover living costs/tuition/books ect, so it will be a minimum of 3-4 more yrs. Then...we'll see..

Plan to be there soon. Currently 65ish hours/week with a huge variance. 35-110

Plan to be there soon. Currently 65ish hours/week with a huge variance. 35-110

About the same for me. I can see why age 54-56 is the typical point most Anesthesiologists try to cut back. I certainly would like to be 0.75 FTE in a few years then 0.5FTE or a surgicenter gig.

Now, don't get all worked up by this post as I know a guy age 66 and still working fulltime. I also know several more fully retired at age 65 and enjoying the rest of their life.

If you want to work until age 70-72 and your health allows it (along with mental and physical skills) then by all means do so.

About the same for me. I can see why age 54-56 is the typical point most Anesthesiologists try to cut back. I certainly would like to be 0.75 FTE in a few years then 0.5FTE or a surgicenter gig.

Now, don't get all worked up by this post as I know a guy age 66 and still working fulltime. I also know several more fully retired at age 65 and enjoying the rest of their life.

If you want to work until age 70-72 and your health allows it (along with mental and physical skills) then by all means do so.

I have a feeling when I'm 55 these nights are going to be a lot less fun. My plans call for going part-time around 60 ... maybe sooner.

I get in at noon, check out a few facebook posts, sign a few charts, then leave by 2 at the latest. I get 26 weeks vacation a year and make a few mill.

If i'm putting epidurals in at 3am at 55 i think i'll have to shoot myself

Exactly why I plan to cut back soon. I have several partners who are north of 55 who like the toys too much, and went through a divorce or two.

Average net worth of 55 yo anesthesiologist= 3,000,000/2^n.

where n= number of divorces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I have several partners who are north of 55 who like the toys too much, and went through a divorce or two.

Hahaha.
When I was in the navy, the recently divorced, overworked and underpaid career military vascular surgeon was asking me about the moonlighting that many of the faculty did at local hospitals covering OB on nights and weekends. Easy work. He asked how much we got paid. When I told him ($~1500-3000+/shift depending on the place and arrangement) he literally blew a gasket. Ranting and cursing like a true sailor. It was pretty funny. "That's why you sons of bitches all drive your fancy cars." I almost told him the neurosurgeons were getting $6000 for a night shift, but I had to get through a whole day with him and feared for the patient's safety.

Hah, excellent. You have a handy conversion factor for other specialties? :)

I know an orthopod, about 70 years old. On wife #4, I think. Maybe only #3. He works like a madman.

Hah, excellent. You have a handy conversion factor for other specialties? :)

I know an orthopod, about 70 years old. On wife #4, I think. Maybe only #3. He works like a madman.

Just adjust the numerator by multiplying it by MGMA 50th percentile of desired specialty divided by MGMA 50th percentile of anesthesiaologist's salary. :)